• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Pickups that sound like Gibson 57 classics but cost less.....

SMT

Yep, SD 59'....I put them in my SG and they are WAY better.
My SG came with '57 classics in the bridge and neck...sold them after I got the '59's.

Even better if you swap the magnets out with Alnico 4's....

jimmyohio75

Yep, SD 59'....I put them in my SG and they are WAY better.
My SG came with '57 classics in the bridge and neck...sold them after I got the '59's.

Even better if you swap the magnets out with Alnico 4's....
Are the 59's equally good in the neck and bridge? Or would it be wise to use the 59 in one or the other?

SMT

'59 are typically best in the neck...they are are PAF type.
I got mine to duplicate what my guitar came with, '57 in both. and they soud AWESOME.
They are infinately better than the '57

Really depends on what sound you want tho...

rummy

Silver Supporting Member
I think the Duncan 59s sound similar. I dislike them both.

still.ill

i have the stock 57 classic in the bridge, cuz i like the snarl the a2 magnet gives it for distortion. swapped out the 57 classic in the neck for a5 sd 59, cuz it was lower output, and i am very pleased by the tone.

57 classics are uncalibrated, so this works well

Buckeyedog

Jimmy, I'd sell you a set of Classic/Classic + for $110 if you want. They are zebra however. Being pulled from a 2013 Trad Pro II.

adamg

i have the stock 57 classic in the bridge, cuz i like the snarl the a2 magnet gives it for distortion. swapped out the 57 classic in the neck for a5 sd 59, cuz it was lower output, and i am very pleased by the tone.

57 classics are uncalibrated, so this works well
I am curious what this means. Can anyone educate me?

I am actually considering something similar but use a Thobak SLE101+ in the neck position and keep the 57 classic bridge.

Anyone think this would be a good match? I would like to save the money and forgo a Throbak bridge pickup. I really like the 57 classic bridge, actually I also like the 57 classic neck but I heard a sle101+ a couple years ago that REALLY impressed me. Though it could have been just a great guitar...

Pickup changes in the guitar I have in mind will be a bear so I would really like to get it right the first time.

Thanks

picnic

I put a pair of Stew-Mac Parson St in an Epi LP Custom. Sound great, not a much high end as my Epi LP with 57 Classics but very similar. Pups are very reasonably priced for the tone you get

Da Geezer

I put a pair of Stew-Mac Parson St in an Epi LP Custom. Sound great, not a much high end as my Epi LP with 57 Classics but very similar. Pups are very reasonably priced for the tone you get
I agree. I've had a pair in my ES-339 copy for about a year now, and they sound fantastic. Got A5 mags in the neck and A2 for the bridge.
I'm ordering another pair for my ES-150DC.... Terrific value, IMO

G

mike361

57's are great pups. I have a traditional and love how it sounds with a plexi type amp. Better than bb's I had in a different lp. I did move the bridge side down a bit, tamed the highs.

still.ill

I am curious what this means. Can anyone educate me?

I am actually considering something similar but use a Thobak SLE101+ in the neck position and keep the 57 classic bridge.

Anyone think this would be a good match? I would like to save the money and forgo a Throbak bridge pickup. I really like the 57 classic bridge, actually I also like the 57 classic neck but I heard a sle101+ a couple years ago that REALLY impressed me. Though it could have been just a great guitar...

Pickup changes in the guitar I have in mind will be a bear so I would really like to get it right the first time.

Thanks

Usually pickup winders have the bridge set for more output than the neck, but gibson i think makes both the neck and bridge the same output. This often leads to the neck pickup breaking up/distorting early, or at least that was the case with the 57 classics i have tried in my 335 neck position.

Lewguitar

Used 57 classics.
That's the best answer in this whole thread.

If you want a set of pickups that sounds like 57 Classics but which cost less, get a used set.

BTW, I don't hear the Duncan 59's, which are alnico 5 magnet pickups, as sounding a lot like 57 Classics, which use alnico 2 magnets.

I do like the Duncan 59's, but to me they have less mids and more bass and treble than the 57 Classics.

I can get good tones from either though. They're both "good".

Trending Topics

Top Bottom