Pickups that will make a Jazz sound like a P...

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by mds, Jun 2, 2008.

1. mds

mds Member

Hey guys,

I've got an old parts Jazz bass that has been converted to a fretless...I never play fretless at all...ever...so I want to put a Precision neck on it and try to make it as P-bassy as possible. There are 2 pickup routes in the body, both for a jazz sized pickup. Are there any pickups out there that sound more like P pickups but fit in a jazz hole?

Thanks!

Mike

2. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Why not just roll off the bridge pickup volume?

Most of the "Jazz" sound is both the pickups in conjunction. The "P" sound is more related to the location of the pickup and scale length than it is about the split pickups.

3. fakeox

fakeox Member

Dimarzio jazz pickups are split humbuckers more or less like a P. i use 'em.

4. tonegroove

tonegroove Member

$ave your$elf some money and use the existing pickups on the body.

You'd be surprised at how close a P-bass sound you can get by just backing off the bridge pickup-volume by 1/4 to about 1/3...

I record that way sometimes when I'm too lazy to dig out my P bass.

Try it first...if you don't like it or can't seem to dial it in....then give the "NEW" p'ups a try.

Peace

5. Alpha Audio Works

Alpha Audio Works Member

AGREED! The existing single coil in the neck position has a cool "not a split P tone / yet fatter than tele bass ( or original P ) tone". More definition than the split P in my opinion. You might like it more!

6. ROKY

ROKY Member

Good call; I do this a lot.

Also :
    I run my Jazz bass thru a DOD FX40B EQ pedal w/ all the sliders set flat,
    and then bring up the 800hz slider to taste - sometimes a bit of 400hz.

7. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

That's interesting you hear that.

I honestly think the SCPB sounds "fatter" than a J neck soloed. That's just my ears. I shouldn't really say "fatter," but it has more... depth and presence... The J neck pickup is relatively close to that tone, but it's not as hot and it's a bit more controllable than the SCPB pickup. I think that's where you're hearing more definition between the three... IMO.

I'm really glad to hear I'm not the only one who enjoys running my Jazz like that!!

8. DanGouge

DanGouge Member

I have a fretless Jazz and I can get decent P-tones out of the Bartolini 9W4Js I have in it when I solo the neck pickup. P-purists will deny that anything can replicate a Precision, but to my ears it sounds pretty darn close.

9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

wasn't a lot of the early zeppelin stuff john paul jones soloing the neck pickup of a jazz bass with the tone rolled down?