Pickups ? Tom H's,WCR's,Bareknuckles..

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Shawners, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Shawners

Shawners Member

Hey guy's,
    I'm at the point in my Warmoth Guitar project for the pick-ups:

Guitar Body: Vip one pc mahogony back, with 3/4" flamed
    maple top, Prs layout,wilky trem

Guitar neck: Warmoth style (PRS),SRV contour, Flamed Koa ,
    with Ebony Fretboard , graphtech nut, and S.S. 6105's

Wiring: RSGUITARWORKS Premium PRS KIt w/ upgraded Super
    pot @550k volume, Trebel bleed circuit uninstalled
    (in case i want to add it ???).

Sound I'm going for is a Fat heavy aggressive rhythem , Good lead articulation and easy harmonics, that can still split for a good , chimey clean...I know... , yes I want it all.

I've had a Duncan custom I liked and Now have EMG's , I'm wanting to try some of the boutique stuff.

What I'm looking at:

Bareknuckle : Nailbomb,Warpig,Miricleman,or the Holy divers...
    the soon to be released Stevie Stevens model might be cool.
    How much do you pay for a set shipped to the states , they take off the VAT charge of 17.5% don't they??

WCR's:Shredders or Herc's

Tom Holmes 450's ?

Are any of these worth paying $350.00-$400.00 for a set of pick-ups ?
    Love to hear your experiences with these pickups...likes/dislikes....what you swapped from or too.
    I don't mind paying more for real quality and better sound , I just want to beable to hear a difference in sound.When I hear stuff like the shredders based off a JB , but with a smoother mids (no spike), and better,tighter bass responce..makes me wonder if I wouldn't be just as happy with a real JB and the extra $100.00-$150.00 in my pocket..the same token If there is real mojo in these pick-ups I think it would be the best extra $150.00 I spent.

..if I don't go with the cork sniffing pick-ups , it'll probably be the Lawrence L500xl's ( I hope Bill and Becky aren't too backed up)

Lets hear it guy's, ..........thanks.....Shawners

2. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Lower output "traditional" PAF winds should get you there. "Fat" and "heavy" pickups are generally not "articulate" or "chimey".

3. apd

apd Member

RE: Bareknuckle

I ordered a set of Mule humbuckers last fall, which are going into my current project. Tim Mills is a great guy to deal with, he answered all my questions himself. He even sent me an mp3 so I could hear them.

The 17.5% VAT is subtracted from your order, and there was a 7.5 pound sterling flat shipping fee to the US.

Citibank charged me about $8 for the currency exchange. Check your credit card company to find out the fee (a few percent) for the exchange into foreign currency.

4. Shawners

Shawners Member

apd, what did your total usa come out to w/shipping and fee's??

5. jcground

jcground Member

Based on the general description of the tones you're after, I would recommend WCR Fillmores or Goodwoods ahead of the Shredder or Herc sets. I think Fillmores and Goodwoods are versatile, fairly hot humbuckers that split well and retain a ton of articulation without getting muddy, but they still have great drive and harmonics.

If, OTOH, you're after more of a metal pickup, the Shredder or Herc set might be more your bag. (Note, in spite of their metal orientation, I've read posts here and on the Thorn forum about the Hercs doing good cleans...)

Scott Peterson and others here can give better overall WCR recommendations than I can, because they've used more of the different pickups. My Thorn has Goodwoods in it, and they were a good choice for a "do it all" pickup to me. I've heard the same about Fillmores from a bunch of others. (The Crossroads and Darkbursts are also tempting WCR pickups to me, but they're not as hot/fat as the others so I didn't recommend them for what you described.)

6. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Fwiw,

I have a pair of Wcr Shredders in a Prs and I don't feel they are metal type pickups. They split pretty good as do all Wcr's.

7. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

A LOT depends on the guitar, I have a Goodwood in the bridge of my R7 and Holmes in my 82 Custom.
    From what I hear the Holmes are lower output pups, but in an 11LB norlin LP they are fat and chunky. BUT.. that guitar has more bottom and chunk then most P-basses, so there ya go.

8. jpage

I've seen more WCR pickup supporters this year than I did Keeley pedal mod junkies two years ago.

9. Shawners

Shawners Member

Coreybox,
    I think I'm with you.The shredders being alnico V , should have good chunk , and cleans.I'm just wondering if its hot enough for metal.
    I know the Herc is there for metal , and would be really aggresive with screamming leads , but being a more scooped pick-up may limit me for
    classic rock/80's metal/mid gain stuff.I guess I could compinsate with a more vintage neck pick-up for cleans and some classics...but I guess the Shredders with the volume rolled down are doing some really convincing PAF tones , seems these would definetly be more versitile , but how hard can they rock..are we talking JB territory or more.I doubt anything but the Hercs can hang with the EMG81 output wise , but I want something with more personality , and life than a 81.

jcground
    thanks for the heads up on the thorn website , I'll have to check it out? I'm glade to hear people are liking the Hercs split..that may have me rethinking them again.

Everyone else thanks for your responces....Shawners

10. Shawners

Shawners Member

Jpage,
    thats funny about the Keeley comparison.I 've tried and believe in the Keeley stuff, so hopefully these pups will pay-off.
    I bought into internet hype over Grove Tubes KT66HP's in a Soldano.3 sets of factory matched quads' replaced in a 2-3 week period , and out @250.oo-300.00 for a Pro Tech to install and Bias..didn't pay off..at least
    GT replaced them with a set of there JJ6l6's that worked and are in matching range..oh well thats another storey..I'll stay on topic ;)
    .......................................Shawners

11. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

:dude (Yes, I'm the same guy who replied on HC :) ) I play Hard Rock and Metal, and the Goodwoods cut it. Bands I cover include Iron Maiden, Slayer, and Godsmack to name a few.

12. jpage

Heck, I have a FatFinger:rolleyes:

13. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

A few others to consider are highorder and manlius pickups. Stellar tone at stoopid prices. I have a set of manlius that pretty much nail the tone your after. Good stuff imo. Also, give david.plummer@grubb-ellis.com a shout. He did a rewind from e htat kicks major booty.

Lot of nice pup winders out there putting out some great stuff. Good luck

14. apd

apd Member

The total on the Bareknuckle pickups with shipping came to 152.18 pounds. The hardcopy invoice and email copy are both in pounds. I'm not sure what the US conversion came out to be at the time.

With today's exchange rate, it would be $265.15

15. Shawners

Shawners Member

Hey Bikerdude,
    You surf gearpage too, I love this site.
    So the goodwoods can do metal , I bet they get that hot PAF scream , do they get that double tone sound?
    Can you get that liquid lead feel , or do you have too work them? Thanks for the replies..both sites. :AOK

Thanks ADP , I guess there in line price wise with the WCR's..but tricked out BK's may be a little less than tricked out WCR's...$50.00 one way or the other isn't
    my deciding point.I'd probably be happy with either,
    but being my first custom , I want it to have that extra something.

Dang I didn't realize that Tom Holmes would set me back @ 500.00+ .....Those got my curiosity because you hear about them every so often..and truth be told Lynch
    is supposively using them now ...I know..POSER ...
    but its Lynch..I'm a 80's bastard child ..my Hero's weren't Page , Clapton ,Roth..they came later.I grew up with Euroption cranked and Eddie at a gods(small g) status.(At least to this impressionable 12 y.o. w/ VH1 at the time)..sorry remenising and chasing white rabbits...

Am I thinking things wrong, about higher gain pick-ups mean easier leads/harmonics , and a more driving/aggressive rhythem?? With some rockers going with the goodwoods and doing hard rock , and Lynch W/ TH's (PAF)...is it these pick-ups being special..
    ......like the Hercs being ceramic but having suposively a really good clean sound and split sound??
    Both seem like contradictions to whats the norm..
    ............................................................................or what I thought was the norm.:jo

16. aoguitars

aoguitars Guest

you might also benefit from talking to Wolfe at Wolfetone PIckups. I use his stuff all the time and he's real good at figuring out what you need from talking to him. Great pups!

17. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

A big +1 on Wolfe! Great guy and fantastic pickups. Also, major props to Jon Moore www.tonefordays.com as he winds some beauts also.

18. jpage

Higher output pickups give you more low end and less clarity. Lower output pickups do the opposite. Most amps are able to more than make up for a loss of low end but it is much tougher to compensate for murky.

Eddie used a PAF taken from a 1960 335 on "Eruption". Considered a lower output pickup nowadays.

Harmonics will not "leap off of a fretboard" after you put any pickup in. You either know how to illicit them or not. Eddie's tone is swirly and clear--classic 1968 plexi tone goosed a bit by the variac. The amount of distortion he used on that album is spartan by today's standards. If you are truly interested in that tone, try to look more at your amp setup.

What amp/effects are you running through?

19. Shawners

Shawners Member

jpage...

I'm useing a Soldano Decatone,
    Slamed in the front w/ a SD-1 moded by Keeley.
    Rack w/ Tc G-major & Midi board.

I'm not looking for the VH1 sound , that was the hero I grew-up with.I've got his sound nailed with the Soldano.
    I do beg to different about ease of harmonics with different pick-ups..Yes technique and amp settings come into play , but certain pick-ups are easier for harmonics.Emg 81's and EVo's seem to pull harmonics really easy , even from spots that aren't normally harmonically alive, most notably after replacing a stock or lower gain pick-up..hence my faulty high gain for leads/harmonics theory..never said it was right..just what experience has tought me upto this point.

So Eddie's pick-up was from a Gibby 335?
    I've heard so many different storey's. Seems most people agree on the Gibby Pup , But I heard about either a custom P90 or a cuestom PAF with the coils wond uneven?
    How did some punk , broke 17-18 y.o. know so much about tone ..Plexies with variacs , uneven wond pick-ups..even if you don't like EV you have to respect the man for the Brown sound / VH sound and Techniques he's contributed to music/guitar. :AOK

20. jpage

Yea, most agree (because Eddie tends to BS) that for the first album Eddie used both a mahogany Boogie Bodies strat equipped with a Gibson 1960 335 PAF wired to a 500ohm volume pot and an Ibanez PAF loaded Korina explorer. The uneven coils thing probably comes from the fact that that's how they turned out back in those days before automation.

I'm sure that pinch harmonics are a bit easier with EMGs and the like (they are a bit with my JB equipped LP) but IMO the tradeoff has never been worth it. I think the JBs are 14k output and they are noticeably darker than my BB Pro and BB 1 + 2 Les Pauls. And I'm sure you'll agree that you can pull off just about anything with any good humbucker and that Decatone of yours. How much gain do you set that SD-1 for?

Damn, brother, how hard do you need to slam that front end?:D