Pickups versus boosts and other OD pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

You know it is funny that pickups aren't raved about as much these days. I mean it is common knowledge that a hotter output alnico will help your tube amp increase the ease of playing singing-solo. These factors will only increase 3 times as much with ceramic pups, at the expense of compressing the bottom end of your tone. Finally active pups, incredible high output along Fernandez sustainers cool, but the most unnatural sounding IMO.
    My self, I just use vintage or low output alnico pups. However, with all the huge array of pups out there, is anyone still GAS'ing these days to check them out?

2. gooma

gooma Member

I`m just finding the older i get the more i prefer lower output PUP`s:D

As you stated they seem to be more natural sounding and with stompboxes and the like you can still get as much gain & output as desired.

I`ve got some Wolfetone Marshallheads on route to me here in Australia,. I`d love to explore a few different PUP`s too, namely the WCR`s.
    Now i`d love to try a set of their darkburst`s :AOK

3. Cybercat

Cybercat Member

Yup, I was forever changing pups (almost 30 years) till I got a set of WCR Darkbursts in my 'burst and SRs in two of my Strats, now I've stopped looking, seldom even visit the forums anymore, & am spending a lot more time playing instead... :dude

4. gooma

gooma Member

Yeah i`ve heard nothing but good things about them:AOK hopefully one day i`ll find out fiirst hand how they sound ;)

5. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

Yeah low to medium output is the way to go for tone. I was lucky enough to score an extremely early Seymore Duncan Broadcaster. I guess I've owned it for 25-30 years now. Taste changes but this pup has got everything a tele bridge pup needs. However, at times, I get sick of the noise issue. One day I'm gonna slap together a Tele with something noiseless.....for those situations where the noise is intolerable.

6. twangbanger

twangbanger Member

lo is the way to go for me.They seems to have better balance and clarity and w/ a good amp and OD to my ears they rock harder too!

7. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

For me, without question, lower output pups are the best. I just can't get hotter pups to do what lower output pups can do (clear, bell-like tones, killer inbetween tones on a Strat), but I can always add boost and EQ to get my lower output pups to do anything I want in the way of thicker, biting tone with endless sustain.

8. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

where does one find a ec darkburst?

9. Nathan

Nathan Member

It's funny, I've been stuck with just one axe lately because my "strat'' is in the shop and the Seth Lovers are too hot for me. I'm not into humbuckers that much, but I hate the 60 Hz hum. With a good boost pedal, you essentially get the same effect as high output pickups without some of the disadvantages. I still have a set of Duncan Invaders for a heavy metal axe I'm building. I'm anxious to hear them. Lately I've been alot more interested in modifying pickups. A simple magnet swap compltely changes the sound of a humbucker. I want to try winding soom, already got some wire I just need to rig up a winder.