pickups:which,why?teach me

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stairs, Sep 14, 2006.

1. stairs

stairs Member

well, here i go again. i have no experience with pickups. recently, after playing around with a cheap humbucker guitar, i realized there is more in tone than the strats. i have a G&L Custom, a true strat. i thought that i should go in this direction too, and search for that aggressive tone not only in dirt boxes but pickups too. i received this guitar from a friend from the States, it was kind of a trade, i had no clue of what is really about the sound, if it is a vintage or what. right now, i discovered that i need more. it is truly clean...BUT...i need more.

so, is there any possibility to change at least one of the pickups and put into it a "single coil sized humbucker."is there something like this?if yes, which one?
    i need more BITE, for sure, i want it more aggresive in musical way and FATTER. is this possible? i heard one of my friends over here saying that usualy for heavy things they use to use the bridge pickup. would it work if i only change that?

please, give me some directions: brands, links, sites, your experineces cause i am totaly out of it...anything to learn and get to the point of knowing which one will fit my needs

thanks

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/strats.shtml

There are several on this page that are humbucking pickups that fit in single coil stratocaster setups without modification. Read the descriptions to find which one would suit you best. I believe there are several (if not many) other manufacturers that make this pickup, but Seymour Duncan is one of the biggies...

3. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

4. Creamy

Creamy Member

One of the greatest challenges of mixing and matching pups are their outputs. Putting a hot pup next to a quiet one will render one of the pups practically useless. In theory, you have the most versatile guitar, but the output difference between these pups is prohibative. Hope this helps. Some else can give you a technical explanation. The link that nashvillesteve posted is a great place to start.

5. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Doesn't the bridge pickup get its own volume on a strat? That would help, though you wouldn't be taking advantage of the hotter output if you had the volume pot rolled down all the time to match the other single coils...

6. stairs

stairs Member

that means if i put in a "hotter" pickup, that would be much louder?

7. stairs

stairs Member

there is practicaly one volume knob....so, what are experiences? do i have to change all the pickups? what others do with this kind of problem? is there a big difference in volume switching to the bridge?

8. bek

bek Member

Install a Deaf-Eddie Fat-O-Caster switch in your Custom. This allows a lot of different tones (in-series, bridge and neck, etc.) not normally available in a Strat. You'll be amazed and it's WAY cheaper than a new guitar. http://www.deaf-eddie.net/buyit.html

9. jordanL

jordanL Member

It depends on which pickup you put in the bridge: Using SD pups as an example, A Hot rails has a lot more output than most single coils, a lil 59 or JB jr will be less so.

IMHO the 59 or JB sound closer to what you want. But all of this is subjective.

The Fat Eddie switch is a great suggestion, you get several useful sounds for very little coin, and can easily change back if its not to your liking.

10. RobertS.

RobertS. Member

I have a California series Strat & I hated the tex-mex pu's so I threw a hot rail in the bridge, a cool rail for the neck & Dimarzio virtual vintage in the middle.
    The hot rail is great for that punchy classic overdriven sound thru my JCM800 while the cool rail has a much bassier, creamy tone which is good for the wah & more laid back stuff. Don't use the Dimarzio too much.

11. stairs

stairs Member

that is it. just go on. i can see it now...
    if there are more options, please feel free to mention them, name them

12. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

google for "strat pickup humbucker"... there are literally a ton of makers of pickups in this style...

13. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Seymour Duncan has a lot of single-coil sized humbuckers.

The Lil' 59 sounds kind of like your average Gibson humbucker, maybe a bit brighter. The JB Jr. has more of that 80's metal kind of sound with more mids and harmonics and higher output.

A lot of people really like the rail pickups. The hot rails being higher output than the cool rails.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/strats.shtml

14. stairs

stairs Member