pickups

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Fuzzdawg, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

ok, i am building a new guitar.

a single, single, hum strat copy.

i am wondering which pickups i should use. i currently run Fralin BLues Specials in my strat. they sounds great, but i want this guitar to sound different. (why have two guitars that sound the same?

so, what pickups should i use?

i am probably going to go with fralin vintage hots for the neck and mid position, and a fralin humbucker for the bridge... any suggestions? other options?

2. blueguitar

blueguitar Member

A "Twangmaster" might be cool in the bridge.

3. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

It depends on what your going for. Me personally, I'd try three hotrails wired to an on/off swithc.

Seriously, There are so many great pickups out there it is always hard to choose. That's how we all end up with buckets full of stuff in our closets.

Scott:cool:

4. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

for the single coils, i want something really really strat-y. i mean, i want strat to the ceiling.

for the bucker, i want something rock... but not metal. something that will distort really well, but not make me sound solid-state-y...

what's a twangmaster?

5. D.G.

D.G. Member

Hmmm. I use Kinman MkII's in the neck/mid positions and have recently thrown an old hot rail that I've had for 15 some odd years in the bridge. It's actually a really good combo. I find the notch position 4 (mid/bridge) to be far more useful than when I was running either the SCN or Kinman in the bridge. And now the bridge does good rock tones, while I get great strat tone from the rest of the positions.

6. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

i had a friend buy kinman's and he hated them. he said they sounded horrible!

7. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

That depends...

If he thinks that pickups that sound great, sound "horrible".

My suggestion is to check out many of the great pickups that Dimarzio has. Multiple possibilities with out the boutique price tag. I have some Virtual Vintage Tele pickups that are amazing (IMO of course). I'm also about to try some PAF classics in my Custom 22.

8. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

dimarzio, huh? i might just give em a shot. heck, what would it hurt? if i don't like em, i could just sell them on ebay.

so, which dimarzio pickups should i try?

9. beej

beej Supporting Member

How much do you want to spend?

Personally I like Bill Lawrences. The L200s will nail the strat sound, sound every bit as good as the Kinmans but only cost a fraction of the price. For $40/pickup ($50 for the humbuckers) they can't be beat. Call them, tell them what sound you want and they'll give you good feedback on what to get.

10. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

i don't mind spending if they sound right.

i was just thinking. you know who's got great strat tone? that dude from los lonely boys. his strat tone is really nice. anyone know what he's using?

11. slhguitar

slhguitar Member

I thought he just used a deluxe strat.....But I could be extremely wrong. I just remember reading that somewhere when they first came out with the single "Heaven". I agree on the tone though. If I had a strat, thats what I would want it to sound like.

12. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Well, like I said the PAF Classics sound like a great rock pickup. There's multiple cover options. Plated, non-plated polished or not polished. Uncovered there are other colors. I'm not sure if you want noiseless but I'm extatic about my Virtual Vintage Tele pickups. They have several to choose from on the site for strats.

Here are a couple quick clips with my VV's, not perfect but give you the idea:

All played through a clean TopHat, OD is a Lovepedal Eternity.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3262531&q=hi

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3209423&q=hi