pickups?????

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by guitarhead90, Jun 20, 2006.

1. guitarhead90

guitarhead90 Member

i bought an epi lp and the pickups are not that great,
    however i was wanting to know what the best pickup
    that would get me a classic rock sound

-Dylan

2. Ron4406

Ron4406 Member

My suggestion is to contact WCR. Seems like you just tell Jim what sound you want and he sets ya up.

3. ungarn

ungarn Member

Lots of great ones to pick from:

Fralin
    Rio Grande Texas/BBQ
    Dimarzio Virtual Vintage PAF
    Gibson 57
    Seymour Duncan...maybe Pearly Gates...

I love the Rio Grandes in my Gibby LP...

Good luck!

-Thad

4. guitarhead90

guitarhead90 Member

i have heard of them, lots and lots of people have said that wcr's were realy good but i have also heard they were a little pricy

i guess i should start saving

i was also thinking about the seymore duncan jb modle, can eney one give me their opinion on that? it would be great

5. ungarn

ungarn Member

Contact Specialty Guitars...they will set you straight regarding Seymour Duncan pickups and their prices are right too!

6. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

Excellent pickup IMHO...great for leads and definitely a bridge pickup.
    I would go with that or a Duncan '59 model. I would also look into the WCR stuff like another poster mentioned-if not too expensive for your budget...they are supposed to be top notch stuff. You can read reviews about them and many other brands of pickups on harmonycentral.com

7. straightblues

straightblues Member

The JB bridge and 59 are a popular combo from Duncan. The Rio Grande Texas and BBQ are another popular combo. You can buy either of them used on Ebay for about $100 for the set. Or you can buy them new for about $150.

I prefer the Duncan Antiquites but they are more expensive. About $160 used for the set on Ebay or $200 new.

My favorites are now the Lollar Imperials. But then again, they are much much more expensive $300 for the set.

I personally like lower output sets rather than higher output set for 70's classic rock. With the lower output set you can crank up your amp a little more.

8. robbieboyette

robbieboyette Member

The WCR's if you want the best hand wound pickup that is based on "classic" pickups and tweaked to perfection.
    OR, if you really want your axe to ROCK....you could try the pickup that I just installed in my main axe...The Bareknuckles Steve Stevens Rebel Yell model. Again, it's handwound and like the WCR's it's pure quality. It really sounds great and even though it's "clean" sounding...it is fat and sustains for days.

9. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

There are plenty of choices if you are ok with dropping $300 for a set. I hooked up with this guy over @ LPF and he wound a set for me for about 1/3 of that price. AND he re-wound them to make them right for me after I gave him a review of his work. Inexpensive and personalized--can't beat that with a stick.

A few reviews from the LPF (you prob.need to be a member):

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112052

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110543&highlight=Zhangbucker

And his ad in the classifieds:

ZHANGBUCKER PICKUPS
    Home of the Slugbucker

Never mind the price hike, I've learned my lesson...

NEW! The Five-Three (see Strat and Tele singles below)

Also, steel baseplates available for Strat pu's and Tele rhythm pu's, $10 extra!

First were the mighty Timbuckers, then Jon Moore/Tone For Days (gibsononly) came aboard with his line of fine pickups. The latest member of the LPF winding family is yours truly. Maybe you’ve seen some reviews of my pickups here and there in the LPF. You get boutique sound at nowhere near boutique prices (scroll to bottom for price list). All my pickups are heavily scatterwound for a more “organic” tone and good dynamics. I also pot all my pickups unless specifically requested otherwise. (Potting affects tone only if you leave the pickup in the pot too long.)

I don’t have a website yet (contact me at my e-mail above - I know that sounds kinda cheesy and fly-by-night but it's all I got for now), so here’s a short list of some of my basic models, all of which can be modded and tweaked to your specs. I also do pretty much all custom work so don’t feel you are limited to the models and specs below. I’ll make you just about anything you want. (I also do rewinds.)

* = Strat and Tele are registered trademarks of Fender Musical Instruments.

HUMBUCKERS:

(Available in nickel, gold, double-black, zebra, reverse zebra, and other...)

PAF Slugbucker (bridge only): +/-8.6k with Alnico 2, 3 or 4 magnet, depending on the individual personality of the pickup and your needs. Wound with hotter slug coil, gives big tone with clear treble, like combining humbucker punch with P90 shimmer and sparkle. (Can be wound hotter or cooler to your taste.)

PAF Woodbucker (neck only): +/-7.7k w/alnico 2, 3 or 4. Wound with hotter screw coil to emphasize the harmonic node closer to the neck. Like the Slugbucker, it gives humbucker fullness and warmth but with P90 shimmer and sparkle on top. Wound for a smoother, warmer neck tone (“smoothing” technique to round off the highs). Amount of smoothing is to your taste.

Hot Woodbucker (neck): +/-8.1k with Alnico 4 or 5. For that Sweet Child O’ Mine tone.

Woodbucker 24 (neck): +/-8.3k with Alnico 2/3/4/5. A hotter neck-bucker designed to get woody warmth out of 24-fret guitars.

Telebucker* (neck only): +/-7.1k – Alnico 2 or 3. Basically a Woodbucker specially designed for the Tele neck position but with less smoothing to keep some Tele-style bite. Especially for those who want a wider tone than the traditional Tele neck single coil but not so wide that it won’t balance with a Tele* bridge. Note: This is a traditional full-size humbucker, NOT a single-coil sized bucker.

Hotter Metalhead Designs are coming soon, but I can make you one to your specs right now.

(NOTE: The above designs use mismatched coils which result in a humbucker that is not 100% humbucking, more like 85%. If you use really high gain, you will notice a bit of hum, though nothing like a single coil.)

Splatbucker Option (Add $10) : Not quite a split, not quite a tap, it’s a Splat. This is an option for all my humbuckers. If you’re sick of the puny tone you get from splitting a vintage output humbucker (7 to 9k) to a puny 3.5 to 4.5k coil, the Splat-bucker option is for you. Instead of just one coil all by itself, you get that coil plus a little bit of the other coil. Typical would be an 8k humbucker which split gives you a 4k single coil. An 8k Splatbucker would give you the 4k single coil plus 2k of the other coil for 6k. (The actual amount of the other coil you get can be tweaked to your specs.) You also get the bonus of a reduction of the hum by about half.

NEW! FOR TELES AND STRATS:

THE FIVE-THREE. Alnico 5 on wound strings, Alnico 3 on the plain. Singing, shimmering tone with great tonal balance across all 6 strings! (Same price as standard Strat and Tele singles)

FOR TELES*:

Vintage Tele* Bridge: +/-7.5k, Alnico 5 -- Complete with vintage twine around coil!

Vintage Tele Rhythm: +/-7.5k, Alnico 5, nickel silver cover. ($5 cheaper without cover.)

Twang Smoker Bridge: +/-11.8k with Alnico 2. You want more heat and punch but want to keep that vintage chime? The combination of a hot wind and Alnico 2 mags gives you a punch in the gut from a fist in a velvet glove, sort of a Tele* version of the O-bucker above. The top end shimmer is other-worldly.

Also available in "Super Smoker" version, same as above but with Alnico 5.

Twang Smoker Neck: +/-9k with Alnico 5. Traditional Tele* neck pu with great combination of sweetness and punch.

Hot Twang Smoker Neck: +/-10.5k with Alnico 5. Big, bruisin’, rude SRV-like tone with singing sensitivity that will push your amp and make you smile.

(Can also wind vintage Tele* sets to your liking. Can also add tap to all single coils – add $10)

FOR STRATS*

(Covers available in black, white, cream, dark cream)

The HotCool - (bridge): +/-10.5k with Alnico 2. Hot Strat twang but smooth with majestic shimmer.

Vintage 2 - Set: 6.6k bridge/6.3k middle and neck with Alnico 2 rod magnets. Middle RWRP.

Vintage 3 and 5 - Set: Same as above but with Alnico 3 or Alnico 5 rod magnets. Middle RWRP.

Fat Vintage Set 2: 7.5k bridge/6.8k middle/7.0k neck. Middle RWRP

Fat Vintage Set 3 and 5: Same but with A3 or A5 magnets. Middle RWRP.

Hot Strat - Set: 9.0k bridge/7.3k middle/7.8k neck – Alnico 5. Middle RWRP.

The Hammer - Set: 10.7k bridge/7.6k middle/8.5k neck – Alnico 5. Middle RWRP.

Mutual Assured Destruction (bridge only): 12.5k with huge quarter-inch Alnico 5 rod magnets, BUT....with a tap at 9k in case it turns out you're not man enough to handle it full blast...

COMING SOON:

- P90’s
    - Humbuckers for metalheads
    - The Jekyll/Hyde (high output humbucker with a vintage bucker inside it)

PRICING:

Humbuckers: $55 each (add $7 for nickel cover, $10 for gold)

Tele singles: $50 each, $95 for set (add $10 for tap)

Strat singles: $45 each, $120 for set (add $10 for tap)

P90's $60 for soapbars, $65 for dogears (my source for dogear baseplates is pricey!)

Rewinds: $35 for single coil, $40 for humbucker.

Baseplates for Strat pu's and Tele rhythm pu: Add $10

Shipping: Add $5 for one or two pickups, $10 for more. International Shipping (outside USA), add $30 unless you are okay with super-slow snail mail.

10. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Harmonic Design Vintage Plus

11. alderbody

alderbody Member

WCR pickups.

I put them in my Epi Dot (along with other stuff) and...

i'm just bored to repeat how much i like this guitar ;)

12. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Yes indeedee.....all good suggestions. I'll also add:

Jon Moore
    Jason Lollar
    Mick Manlius
    David Plummer
    Dave Stephens
    Ben Trevillion

For an easy to find, decent priced, very toneful option, also consider Dimarzio PAF Classics. They don't get much press, but they sure do the trick. Another ncie souding, lower cost option is Kent Armstrong PAF's. I prefer the 12 pole models, but the standard style are very good too.

13. guitarhead90

guitarhead90 Member

ok thanks for all your info its great

if any one has more i would like to here it

14. supa_scoopa

supa_scoopa Member

Any love for Zhang??
    Just got a Woodbucker for the neck position of my SG special.
    These pups are quite the rage on the LP forum but not much mention here.
    BTW the price quotes of jpage are uber-old.

15. go7

go7 Member

Haven`t played them all but my Lollar imperials are staying put.Enjoy!

16. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I have a WCR set that I like quite a bit. It's sort of an exageration when people claim they're expensive IMO. My "Crossroads" set cost $260, for the set.

So that's about $130 each. Duncan Antiquities cost about $120 each. Lollar humbuckers cost about $150 each.

How important is 10 or $20 one way or another, when you're after good sounds?

That said, I'm pretty happy with the sound of this old Duncan '59 that's been sitting in my parts drawer for about 20 years, and it's a kick butt Tele bridge pickup. For an Epi LP, for playing Classic Rock, it's be a great choice IMO. Posibly a JB model for the bridge position, and a '59 in the neck position.

17. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Member

It's been updated recently.