Pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Josef, May 2, 2005.

1. Josef

Josef Member

2. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    The noted '4 conductor cable' would indicate that it is splittable, but you may want to check out the S-D site.

3. Josef

Josef Member

that was actually a better question, does 4 conductor cable always indicate that it can be split?

4. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

You may actually split a 4 conductor humbucker - but having said that, I'm not sure it would sound "nice" or useable.
    I had a pair of DiMarzios (DP196 and 197) in a Melancon which were absolutely useless when split...
    But, YMMV, etc...

JJ

5. Josef

Josef Member

ok whats a good splittable tele bridge pup?

6. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Splittable TELE BRIDGE pickup??
    Do I understand correctly?
    Do you mean you wish to install a humbucker in a Tele and be able to split it?

JJ

7. dazco

dazco Member

Lets clear something up.....

coil tap: where a SINGLE coil has 3 conductors......at one end of the wrap a wire to be used as ground, then one at some point BEFORE the end of the wrap, then one at the end of the wrap. So you can select 2 different amounts of wrap for 2 different outputs. Say for example, a 5k tap, and a 8k tap. So you have a SC that can be switched from a low vintage output to a very hot one.

Split: a double coil pup that when SPLIT grounds one coil out so you're left with one, giving you a SOMEWHAT SC type sound.

I realize most know this, but i see the phrase "coil tap" used so often to describe splitting i just had to describe the 2.

8. Josef

Josef Member

thanks for the info Dazco

The correct term I want to use is split...so I would like a humbucker in the bridge position (would be nice if it were tele bridge size, single coil size) that I can split to a single coil

9. dazco

dazco Member

I've never found a SC sized hummer that sounded good when split. But then i never found one i liked period. But as full sized ones go, as leonc said elsewhere, the andersons split pretty nicly. The H-2 being the one i have. Still not a great SC sound to my ear but better than most. One reason most hummers don't sound totally SC-like when split is because even when you split a humbucker and one coil is electronically no longer in circuit and doesn't affect the tone at all, the polepieces for the non-working coil are still picking up some string vibration because they are attached to the same magnet as the working coil.

10. Josef

Josef Member

right,
    that makes sense. My goal is to use the HB most of the time, but have the option for SC style sound (I am not typically a SC player, mostly HB...)

So I just need it to be "close"

11. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

there are none in lipstick size.
    Humbuck type I can only think of let's see
    DiMarzio Fast track style (these are blades I think they can be split)
    Seymour Lil '59 (although someone said these aren't very good)
    maybe a screaming deamon?

12. Josef

Josef Member

the lil 59 is a good over all pickup for Humbucker sounds aren't they?

13. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

Tom Anderson stacked single coils sound great when split. If you want a more humbuckers sound they also have a dual coil single width bridge that also splits great.

14. Blackmoreguitar

Blackmoreguitar Supporting Member

Rather than split it, I like to have it so the’split’ sound is actually both coils in parallel.

ant_riv likes this.
  15. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

This is my preference also.
    I try to utilize the different sonic quality and emphasis it by picking dynamics.
    In most live situations, that is sufficient for my requirements. And a big AND, the pup remains hum bucking!

16. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    With a humbucking pickup you can have it wired in series or parallel.
    Tapping a pickup is the term where a single coil has wraps and a lead partially through the entire wound pickup, and the lead at the end of the wrap for the full single coil sound.

If you have a stacked single coil pickup, where two separate coils are involved, you can split that to single coil, if you have the 4-conducter leads coming from it.

As mentioned, the Seymour Duncan site has many wiring diagrams on how to wire up different sounds from their pickups.

17. Mincer

Mincer Member

On the single coil-sized humbuckers, I agree that parallel sounds better to me than split, plus, it stays hum-cancelling. Any 4 conductor pickup can be split, though. Tapping is something else entirely, as was stated. Many people confuse those or use them interchangeably, but electronically they are very different.