Pics of my first amp build...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sstweed, Jan 21, 2006.

1. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

It is a Mission Amps 5E3 tweed deluxe. I can't recommend Mission Amps enough. Everything is top notch quality, including the service. I am so proud of how this turned out I had to share. The cabinet is in the mail as we speak and will be here early next week. This chassis and an alnico Celestion Blue is waiting for it. Can't wait. I plugged the chassis into my Deluxe Reverb's Weber Blue Dog to hear it for the first time. I couldn't turn it off! It sounds awesome, if I do say so myself! (Sorry the pics are so big).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. glasman

glasman Guest

That is really nice workmanship :AOK

Gary

3. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

That is some really nice work. You should be very pleased. In fact, I'm soooo jealous. I've been wanting to build a Marshall 18 watt clone for a while now and never had the cajonzas to try.

Congratulations! Now, how about some clips when you've got the speaker and cabinet hooked up to that baby!

4. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

Real nice work!

Especially fir a first built.

Pete

5. bscepter

bscepter Member

Very nice work. You've given me the build bug again. I'd love to build a small tweed for a practice amp.

Were there instructions? Or did you just follow a layout and schematic?

6. Lucky7

Lucky7 Senior Member

VERY NICE! I wish I had the patience to build one. Probably in the first 5 minutes I would be like my two year old daughter trying to tie her shoes. I'd end up throwing the amp across the room like she does her shoes and pretty much everything else....:eek:

7. asdf

asdf Member

That looks great! SOUND CLIPS!

8. sstweed

Thanks for all the compliments! I am proud of myself for finding the time and patience to do this and do it right. To answer some questions:

No there are no instructions per se. The kit comes with a very nice layout and schematic. BUT, there is a website with LOTS of clear pics to help, and Bruce answers any and all questions very clearly. You won't have a problem. I have a EE degree, so the schematic and layout were all I needed most of the time. But you would be suprised how often the pics on the website come in handy. Little positioning things that you never think to notice when you just glance inside a chassis.

As for patience, well you need some, but it is offset by the fun and anticipation. I have small kids and can't really relegate myself to the basement work shop until they go to bed. So while I read all the time about guys finishing one of these in a long weekend, it took me nearly two weeks. Hour here, half hour there. Oops, spend an hour undoing a stupid thing thing I did in half an hour the night before. It is always funny to me, how dynamic your IQ is. It is definately higher some night than others. Or in my case not as low some nights. :)
    Anyway building one of these yourself is a little like building one of those sailing ship models where you have to run all the rigging. Can be tedious. I actually kind of enjoy things like this. I have worked on my own amps before, re-capping, blackfacing, etc. But running my own filament wires? It really takes your tinkering skills to a whole new level. But if you take your time and do it right, and assuming you bought a kit with all the high quality componants that come with the Mission kit, you are rewarded with a true top flight 5E3 clone second to none. Plus you have the confidence to do mods yourself, to make it even better!

I will get some clips as soon as the final assembly is complete. I don't have anyway to make them with any quality, but about every other thursday I jam with some guys who have an impressive recording rig. When I have some clips I'll for sure post them.

9. Normster

Normster Member

Nice work! Components and workmanship look top notch.

I tremble with fear when it comes to that part. ;)

10. glasman

glasman Guest

Hey Norm, I have gotten to the point of running the filaments as the first thing I do during chassis construction. Just seems to make it easier.

No other crapola in the way.

Gary

11. sstweed

That's how I did it! Got the tedious twisting stuff out of the way first!

12. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

13. sabby

sabby Member

I'm slowly poking at the same kit, and I'm on the filaments now. No biggy, but a tad tedious. It's finding the potential bad solder joint and other trouble shooting that scares me. :eek:

14. Sir EL84

Sir EL84 Member

Hi,
    Great Job! Very tidy, but having built a few my only suggestion is you need to add more solder in the individual eyelets. It won't be a big deal, b/c you already have good working connections, so all your really interested in is aestetics.

15. sstweed

Yeah, you might be right. I was trying not to 'glob' too much so I only put on what I needed. Also the this camera tends to cast very stark shadows. Some of those eyelets look like they have gaps in the solder (look at the second set of 68k input resistors in the last closeup for example), but it is really shadows. The eyelets all closed over solid before I would quit feeding them solder. They acually look much nicer in person under more natural light. I might go back and fill a few more in better, but I believe you are right, it would only be for aestetics. All the connections are good I think.

16. rooster

rooster Member

Looks great. Bruce is da man when it comes to Tweeds.

rooster.

17. sstweed

Thanks! And yes Bruce is the man. I had an extremely positive experience all the way around working with him. His service and advice are great, and the kit he offers is top notch all the way. Highly recommended.

18. bob-i

bob-i Member

Looks excellent. I've heard nothing but good things about Bruce.