picture wah

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by junior40, Jan 14, 2008.

1. junior40

junior40 Member

i hear that the teese picture wah, is the wah to end all wahs...i have never played one before, but i am in the market for a new one. just wondering if anybody here has played one or owns one and what they think of it, thanks!

2. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

I have an 05 Picture wah and a New FFT equipped model. Both wahs sound great. Would I say it is the wah to end all wahs? No! It is a sound you have heard all over Classic recordings but not the end all of wahs. Here is what Teese says about it."
    Everything I do, with the exception of the RMC4/Picture Wah, is an original sound that I had in my head. The RMC4 is a sonic repro of one particular old Italian Vox I repaired well over a decade ago."
    Unless you have been playing an old Vox or Crybaby wah and loving it,For an end all type of wah I would suggest the RMC2 or RMC3..Hope this helps.

3. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I bought based on the HC reviews there were 40 reviews with an average rating of 9.6, I figured that was good enough for me. I don't think there was a single bad review overall.

I'm not the kind of guy that will spend endless days and nights searching for a wah, this being said the Pic wah does not even enter in to the discussion when I think about equiptment I would like to improve or change.

4. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

True Story..I had a Wizard under my foot the end of our show Saturday night.Went to play Voodoo Chile and stopped.There was not enough time to switch back to the Picture wah as it had been packed up. The crowd got Foghat I just wana make love instead. I'm such a tone snob.:D

5. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

my pic wah should be here today or tomorrow...non-FFT version...I think I collect the Teese wahs...the tone snob above me got me turned on to Teese wahs and I had to have one...

6. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

I've had one for a week or so and I love the sound. The action, however, is very rough, especially approaching the toe-down position. I've taken it apart, lubed it up, adjusted the plastic thingy, examined for any anomalies to no avail.

7. Sunstone Recordings

Sunstone Recordings Supporting Member

+1 on the older models, IMO. I have a 2005 with a FoxRox Buffer and I love it! I had a new one and didn't like the feel. Maybe it was just some OCD stuff, it just didn't feel right.

8. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

You are such a Slut;) I will bring the new walsh wah for you to try too!!..

9. jazzguitarplay

jazzguitarplay Member

i was using the wah in my gt-3 so when i got my picture wah, it was a huge improvement. the guy above was complaining about the action, doesent it have a screw that adjusts that?. my question is, how do you tell if mine is fuzz friendly? mine was supposed to be but it howls like a one eyed dog when i engage my fuzz or distortion. is there a serial number i can check or is it the placement im messing up on?. i set mine up after my pedalboard going right into my guitar.

10. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

FFT wahs have the power plug on the output side..Sounds like the FFT is turned up too high. Contact Teese with the serial number and see what he can do for you. And yes the pedal feel is adjustable..Keith

11. Rhino

Rhino Supporting Member

My Pic Wah, A/B Switch, and tuner are the only pieces of gear that have endured the last several years of "gear swap." I have an older version but quickly installed a Fox Wah Retrofit in it so it would play nice with my fuzz. Is it the "end all" wah? I guess that depends on who you talk to. It works for me!

:BluesBros

12. junior40

junior40 Member

thanks for the replies everybody, i currently have a morley steve vai bad horsie 2 wah, and my dirt is a big muff, ocd, and ds-2 and i'm looking for that hendrix/frusciante wah sound. i want my wah to howl and be harsh, again i never played the picture wah but i just here good things and if i want that tone to get one...there isnt any guitar stores around me that carry teese wahs, i live at the most southern tip of Jersey, anybody know stores in jersey that carry these master pieces? i also hear that fulltone wahs are good as well, i will try the RMC2 and RMC3 as well

13. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I won't say wah to end all wahs...however, I searched for a wah that sounded as close to a vintage Vox as I could find and afford...my search ended with a Teese Picture wah. I couldn't be happier and FWIW, I tried a while slew of wah pedals before landing on the Teese.

EDIT: Since making this post I have changed my mind about what the best wah for me and I no longer use RMC wahs.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  14. junior40

junior40 Member

can teese wahs be found in new jersey?

15. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

email Teese..He will give you the info. We don't know...Good Luck..Keith

16. tguyfr

tguyfr Member

I've been told that the old version was better built than the new (w/ FFT). Not a rumor but a guy who owns both, compared them and is about to sell the new one. Any other opinions ?

17. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Yes.I have played them all and didn't hear any difference.Even gigged the new white top...Teese would not let that happen..In defense of your friend the FFT has an adjustment and sometimes folks have trouble adjusting it..Teese is a phone call or email away..There are no build quality issues..Why would your friend buy another Picture wah when he all ready had one he likes??.I have an excuse.I gig buy doubles and Collect..

18. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

have an Old style (Jacks mounted on the chassis) Pic wah and I've used it for years and loved it... Nice wah!