Pictures of my 5e3 build head

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jh45gun, Feb 4, 2008.

1. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

Well finally got the cab done today at my friends work shop. I think it turned out good with dovetail corners ect. The only flaw is some how we got off on the handle, it is off center a bit. Oh well I can live with it. I told him hey it is to the transformer side so you did that to offset the weight right? LOL Total cost in the project with the board and exta parts and the zenith chassis is 150 bucks. Wood and labor was donated. Both front and the back have the extended metal grill to let out heat and there is a space between the chassis and the front and back panels to let air move too.

Back
    [​IMG]

Front
    [​IMG]
    Front
    [​IMG]

2. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

That's what i like to see.Good old home brew amps.
    That's a nice looking chunk of wood.
    I like it!

3. booj

booj Member

Maybe its one of those "ergonomic" handles! Does the cab tilt to one side when you pick it up? If it doesn't, its ergonomic!

4. RonnyLee

RonnyLee Member

5. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

Actually it carries and balances good.

6. 909one

909one Member

What are those speakers?
    Did you make those or are those old?
    There is a band called Califone on Thrill Jockey Records.
    Either they named themselves after the speakers, you names the speakers after the band, or most likely its just coincedence.

7. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

The company came way before the band. (1946) So maybe the band named them selves after the company that would be my guess. Califone is a company that used to make audio visual stuff for schools. They started in 1946 They are still in business though the stuff they sell today is more branched out. They still sell PA and audio visual stuff to schools and also computer stuff as well plus other stuff like tape decks and record players ect. Those cabs are loaded with 12 inch Utah speakers and they are not alnico's they have the round larger magnets. They sound ok but the cabs have more vintage cool vib then the speakers sound. I am using them paired off for now since my OT on the build is a 4 ohm OT. (3.2) I am hopeing to find a better 12 inch speaker in 4 ohm and then maybe using that cab together instead of apart for a speaker cab. I am positive these speakers were probably from a portable PA for school use or from a projector system maybe though the speakers look like they have more heft then that. Here is a pic of the speakers in the cab. I would guess that these date back to the 60's seems to me I remember seeing things like this when I was in school ( I graduated in 70 )

I got these free on a free cycle deal. Kinda cool in a retro/vinatage look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Rob F

Rob F Member

Very Very Cool.