Pictures of my new guitar.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SFW, Mar 22, 2006.

1. SFW

SFW Member

About two weeks ago, my bass player tells me that he has a Carvin DC127C that has been sitting in his closet, unplayed, for three years. I didn’t think much of it at the time, but I told him to bring it to practice anyway. When he finally did, and I had a chance to play the guitar… I bought it on the spot.
    Carvin DC127C. Maple neck-thru with ebony fretboard and walnut body sides. Carvin H22 pickups (which I have since ordered a set for my Les Paul, because they sound that damn good!) So here she is:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. zygleth

zygleth Supporting Member

I also bought a used Carvin 3 months ago and find myself playing it more than the 5 Hamers I own. They seem to feel right and have great necks. Congrats!

3. Antero

Antero Member

Good stuff for sure. I love mine... though I'm probably the only dude with a Carvin DC who doesn't play metal or fusion :p

(Next to me is the only person in the world who can play punk on a purple quilt bass and not feel silly)
    [​IMG]

4. SFW

SFW Member

Actually, while I have ripped a few older metal songs off on it (it's the first guitar I've owned with a floyd in years), I play rock with my DC. Think Velvet Revolver meets Alice In Chains and you start to get an idea.

I think I'm gonna forsake the PRS I was going to pick up and go with a Carvin CT6. I just drool every time I see on in their catalogs. Now what I know what kind of quality to expect, I'm a lot more comfortable spending the money with Carvin.

5. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Supporting Member

them carvin geetars sure are purdy :)

6. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

What's with the different wood running down the middle? I've seen bodies on eBay like this but always wondered what the benefit was.

7. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Neck through body?

8. Antero

Antero Member

The neck and that center block of the body are one continuous piece, and the sides (walnut here) are glued on to that.

Pros:
    -No neck heel at all.
    -Very stable

Cons:
    -Some people don't like the tone. I think this is, in part, because the center wood would dominate tonally (as it has the nut and the bridge), so a maple neck-through is going to have mostly the tone of maple, which isn't what people always want. It also tends to be a bit brighter than other modes of construction.
    -Sure as hell can't swap out the neck. ;)

9. TaZMaNiO

TaZMaNiO Senior Member

?!?!? :jo :eek: :NUTS

10. TaZMaNiO

TaZMaNiO Senior Member

[​IMG]

:BluesBros

11. mojocaster.com

12. SFW

SFW Member

What's that all about? I don't give anyone here flack when they drop +$200 on a pickup, so why are you giving me flack for liking a Carvin pickup? Have you ever tried the H22? It's actually a very warm and articulate pickup. That's exactly what I want in a pickup. It also sounds great split. Are they ugly? Oh God yes! Do they sound good to me? They certainly do.

13. mojocaster.com

and that, right there, is a perfect answer... :BEER

14. SFW

SFW Member

As stated above, it's a maple neck-thru, with walnut body sides. If you go by the tone descriptions at warmoth.com, this should be an overly bright guitar. However, on the contrary, it sounds very warm and balanced. There is no heel at the neck. Upper fret access is outstanding. The neck has a shallow “C” shape, and is super fast. I would put the quality and craftsmanship head to head with PRS. The attention to detail far surpasses my Les Paul… which is a shame considering Gibson’s price tag. It’s not going to replace my Les Paul as my main guitar, but it will be my number 2. I get some very cool tones by using both pickups in split mode. The sound is somewhere between strat and tele. Very nice.

15. Rama

Rama Member

I played one like yours in Koa for a long time. Great guitar....and I dug the pickups, too.