Piezo in a Semi-Hollow?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by touji, Dec 3, 2009.

1. touji

touji Member

I've been looking into getting a Piezo into my Yamaha SA2200... but I really can't find out what that really entails. It seems like I'd be using a Piezo Bridge... but then thats about all I know. So here's the question.

What exactly needs to be done to get a great Piezo set up on a semi-hollow? Will there be lots of drilling, etc? How much will a great set-up cost?

Thanks a bunch.

2. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

I can vouch for K&K. Easy install, no batteries. It will sound like a mic'd up guitar. They make pre amps if you want more tone shaping. There very reasonably priced. Nice company to deal with.

3. touji

touji Member

Does the K&K pickups just amplify the semi-hollow or does it give more acoustic like tones like the piezos I'm familiar with?

4. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

It looks like the K&K pickup is more for an archtop guitar. I am assuming yours is more like a 335 with a center block? Would that pickup work on a guitar like that? I was thinking of adding an LR Baggs piezo bridge to mine... I just need to figure out how to do the pre-amp...

5. touji

touji Member

The Yamaha is a 335 copy.

I heard some people replace a tone pot with the pre-amp and blend knob... I was also wondering if it would cost a lot to re-route the magnetic pickups input jack to the side of the guitar body and use the hole that houses the actual input jack as the pre-amp and blend knob. I still don't know how much wood cutting is involved in this process >.<