Piezo Installation on a Gretsch

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by CharAznable, Sep 5, 2008.

1. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

I love the sound of piezo blended with magnetic pickups, and I'd like to have that sound on a Gretsch electric.

Anybody ever done such a thing? Is it even feasible? If so, does anybody know someone who could do it?

2. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

What kind of bridge do you have?

They make piezo pups in TOM bridges, so that might work for you.

3. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

The bridge is the Adjusto-Matic which is just like a TOM, but it's attached to a moveable rosewood block. Installing a piezo would probably require drilling the top and probably attaching the rosewood block to the body permanently.

4. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Couldn't you use an upright bass type piezo transducer right on the floating bridge?

5. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I looked into this pretty heavily on a Gretsch-type guitar and experimented a little. I did no try the piezo tune-o-matics simply because I'm not a fain of piezos. I did try the pickup the world, a Lace/National magnetic and a strategically placed I-Beam and here's what I found;

1) if you have a Bigsby it gets complicated real fast. The piezos will make some horrific sounds when you hit the thing. You either have to go to a trapeze tail piece or never use the Bigsby with the piezo on.

2) both the folks at Fishman and Baggs felt that a Bigsby would hasten the demise of the saddles with the piezos embedded. The materials are softer and the extra string movement will have an effect.

3) the PUTW pickup is a thin film type that sits between the rosewood/ebony base and the face of the guitar. It sounded pretty good, but the bridge rocking again causes problems and could lead to the pickup delaminating.

4) The active I-Beam sounded REALLY good, almost like a good flatop, but had so little gain (my guitar is a semi-hollow so the top isn't moving nearly as much) that you had to turn it up to stupid levels. Lead to a lot of noise.

5) the Lace pickup is pretty microphonic and picks up the sound of the instrument which allows it to make a reso sound like a reso. On the archtop, it sounded a lot like the TV Jones pickups already on the guitar so the difference at the time wasn't worth it. This is high praise in my book since I really like the tone of TV Jones' stuff. I didn't experiment with an acoustic amp etc, so there may be more potential here.

I spoke with Deiter at K&K and it turns out that he had been trying similar things on his own 335, but to date (about a year ago) hadn't achieved any results he was happy with. I do think that the I-Beam results underscore one important point - the tones are in there, you just have to figure out how to get them out. Hope this helps in the quest.