Piezo saddles on a Kahler trem?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by tmihm, Feb 1, 2006.

1. tmihm

tmihm Member

Has anyone put on a piezo unit on a Kahler tremolo? :eek: I'd like to set up my backup strat with something to use at church.

Thanks, folks!

Terry

2. jbird

jbird Member

My Kahler Pro Trem is a flat-mount, would'nt work unless there were some routing to be done!

3. Cokemachine

Cokemachine Member

It's pretty difficult to implement piezos on trems that use roller saddles, such as the Kahler trems. Roller saddles with piezos (film or crystal) typically produce an annoying "zippering" sound. This is not to say that piezos can't be done on roller saddles. I know that the folks at Graph Tech had high hopes for piezo roller saddles for Steinberger Trans Trems & S-Trems, however the results were somewhat disappointing.

4. tmihm

tmihm Member

Thanks, guys. Mine is an older model that's been routed, so maybe there's hope. I didn't think about the 'zippering' that Cokemachine mentioned (good point!) but I never use the trem the same time I use the piezo bridge.

I talked to my tech on the phone about it....I could "hear him" rolling his eyes...:eek: :)

5. tmihm

tmihm Member

I wrote to Kahler and to LR Baggs asking for any advice they could throw my way.

Kahler simply replied: "No...sorry - we do not..."

No reply from LR Baggs yet...I'll keep you posted if I hear back from them.