Pig Mine Bummer: Part Two

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarb, Dec 22, 2009.

1. guitarb

guitarb Member

Well...received a second email from Marc....I quess we're looking at a 6 month wait time now. I can only imagine what the prices will look like on ebay now!!!

2. circusinthesky

circusinthesky Member

Wait, six months total, or six additional months? Are all people on wait list getting an email, or only those close to delivery time? No email in my inbox.

3. guitarb

guitarb Member

I think it probably pertains to all those that ordered in July.

4. circusinthesky

circusinthesky Member

Well, in any event. My sympathies if you were close to delivery time.

5. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change! Supporting Member

Very much so worth the wait. I love mine with the gain rolled back to 10:00.

6. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

I remember waiting over a year for my Timmy. The only think I dont like about Skreddy is that you have to put down at least 50%. Most pedals I have waited for I just put my name on the list and waited for the call.

Anyhoo, I have my first Skreddy pedal coming via Emporium. The Lunar Module. Cant wait to get that baby!! I cant sleep at night knowing its coming!! LOL! I want to pick some more Skreddy stuff up.

7. fromdecay

fromdecay Member

6 months total
    no big deal for me, just keeps my wallet fat for extra month

8. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change! Supporting Member

IMO, having 50% down ensures that 100% of your customers are serious about completing their orders. The builder spends much less time following up to chase a customer down for payment when the person is waiting to complete something they already paid part of. Dropoffs and non-responses are essentially eliminated too.

9. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

Right. I still do put folks on the build list (all the time) without a deposit if they just ask. But yeah; that really increases the chance of not hearing back from them when it's ready from almost zero to nearly 25%.

And in case anybody's wondering, your deposit of course is refundable if you need to back out of an order.

10. 100JH

100JH Member

Marc - great communications and updating your customers with a current status, other builders could learn from you. Good things come to those who wait.

11. Jumbo Fuzz

Jumbo Fuzz Member

Is the entire Skreddy line going to be handled by that Southern California manufacturer?

12. flampton

flampton Member

??????????

13. andrewface

andrewface Member

never question the skred! his customer service is number one and his pedals are well worth the wait...

14. circusinthesky

circusinthesky Member

I don't know...with a 4-6 month waiting list, if someone backs out the next guy in line will step right up. Although, I am fine with the deposit, epecially if it helps with operating costs. Let's keep this man in business! But really, people backing out of a sale is hardly a problem when you can't make the pedals fast enough.

Speaking of a wait...my Tim arrived today after seven months. He's got his Mother's eyes. Truly a foundation type pedal.

15. lv

lv Supporting Member

Definitely. A refreshing appraoch that is sorely missing in an industry where it is all too common to pay a builder up front and then wait 5-10 times the original quote (see Landgraff, Proanalog, Blueverb).

16. bopplayer

bopplayer Member

I think the wait game is all ridiculous, when a guy like Skreddy decides to put out a new pedal, why not just announce when they will be available and pre make 25-50
    100? he knows they will sell, so why play the game? they end up shooting themselves in the foot when the hucksters inflate them on ebay anyway. I'm not interested in Skreddy for that reason no matter the cost. You get my business when you don't play games. I'm on week 3 of a four week wait with Wampler. That's reasonable time but 6 months? keep it!

17. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Hey! Just so nobody runs away with my thread and tries to make me seem like Im bashing Skreddy, I was only trying to put my input in. Im sure Skred refunds money. Thats not the issue. With the waiting list as long as it is, I cant imagine Skred having a problem reselling a pedal someone else refused or didnt pay for at $200 vs someone having to pay $250 - 300 bucks in the aftermarket. Right?

Im sorry if this has turned me away from ordering. Thats just the way it is. Im not paying half and have to wait 6 months to get a pedal. Im glad Skreddy cleared that up with the no deposit if you ask policy. Thanks!

18. bopplayer

bopplayer Member

He and other builders similar can make it easier on themselves and save all the emails and pesky customers (not you) by simply making a batch ahead of time. What's so hard? order the boxes, build the circuits and do it. It's a supply game in my opinion.

19. lv

lv Supporting Member

If customers are willing to help finance the operation, why wouldn't you do it this way? It is reasonable, and also let's people know that something new is coming to market - which in some cases, may keep them from buying something else. This stuff is basic marketing and finance. Cool if you're not interested as clearly lots of people are.

The benefit to the customer - if you don't like the pedal, you can most likely sell it without loss, or make some profit. Win/win imo.

20. sutherland

sutherland Supporting Member

My bystander interpretation of waiting lists and Skreddy pedals:

Personally, I believe that is a fine means of running a business, especially for how limited his pedals actually are. The guy is a stickler for quality and you can tell from his retired pedal line, that he refuses to ride the coat-tails of a pedal's success and just cram in different components if he runs out of his current reserve.

He's not going to sell a Zero or a Mayo if the parts aren't available to him to build some Zeros and some Mayos...nor do I believe he is going to put some other weird component in there and claim it is a Mayo or a Zero when it is truly not.

Waiting lists and sign ups are a good way to gauge demand, ESPECIALLY, if your internal resources are low. It's called management and priority...using a waiting list is a good way to reallocate resources and I'm sure allow him to keep his internal operating costs down. In this economy, regardless of how you interpret demand...really doesn't matter, you are a buyer and a reseller. To him, it could very well be his own livelihood...and honestly, I would take the reliance of a pay your way waiting list vs. a bunch of buzz on a forum.

I've been lucky to play a few Skreddy pedals...all exceptional! The Lunar Module....absolutely amazing. Just got on the waiting list for 3 more!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009