1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pigtail wraperound?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by exhaust_49, Jan 18, 2006.

1. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

2. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I put his tailpiece with studs and bushings in two of my LP's and they are fantastic. Steve is a true craftsman when it comes to this stuff and his attention to detail approaches insanity.
    I have ordered a wraptail for my new R4 with the studs and bushings but have not recieved them yet, so I have no comment. I can tell you that he mills his stuff to a very tight tolerance.
    Read up on the Les Paul forum, he is very highly regarded there, the suds and bushings is a common upgrade for LP's.

Great guy who makes a great product.

3. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

+1 great stuff

4. pm81

pm81 Member

5. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

How's the tailpiece sound?

6. pm81

pm81 Member

For me, better sustain, intonation and resonance, especially intonation. Very lightweight. Hope this helps.

7. guitarlovero5

guitarlovero5 Member

you guys sold me! I have been thinking of one for awhile

8. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    Heritage just started its H-137 2nd edition line (LP Jr.) and they use the Pigtail. sounds good to me <so to speak>

:cool:

9. arfy

arfy Member

Who has tried one on a PRS? Does is match the fingerboard arch well enough? Stew Mac's catalog say it's a 12" arch, isn't the PRS fingerboard 10"? I just have the feeling that the stock PRS wraparound is a smaller arch radius than the actual fingerboard but that's purely subjective, maybe the Pigtail goes the other way?
    Any sound improvement, added sustain, etc, with the Pigtail?
    Anyone use one with the Pigtail studs as well, are they a tighter fit than the stock bridge and studs, the stock bridge leans a little...

10. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

I have a Pigtail on my 2001 PRS RW McCarty. The studs are TonePros, which I installed shortly after I bought the guitar. I had the Pigtail installed at the same time that this guitar was refretted (with Dunlop 6105 tall/narrow frets) last year. After removing the old frets, the luthier flattened the fingerboard to a 12" radius to match the curve of the Pigtail bridge. For me, this was a big plus; I much prefer 12" radius to 10".

Between the flatter fingerboard, the taller frets, and vastly improved intonation, I'm a very happy camper. I don't struggle with this guitar like I did before. I think the difference in tone (compared to the stock bridge/tailpiece) is very minimal, if any.

I highly recommend the Pigtail for PRS guitars, IF you get the fingerboard radius changed to 12".

11. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

Or anynoe else that has done this conversion....When you had the conversion done, Did he mount the wraparound using the same holes as the Tune-o-matic? I want to do a conversion but am unsure about this.
    Thanks,
    Rob