Pigtronix EP-1? Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bscur, Feb 11, 2008.

1. bscur

bscur Member

Anyone tried the Pigtronix EP-1? What do you think of it?

2. Laxrappa11

Laxrappa11 Member

i own one, its absolutely wonderful. depends what type of sound you like in an envelope, if you are going for that mutron-ish jerry garcia tone, there is NO PEDAL BETTER SUITED. plus, it has a pretty decent phaser with switchable inversion for both the envelope and phaser. if you really want one, id definitely recommend getting it from analogman with the Up/Down mod, i wish i had done that myself. i bought it directly from Dave Koltai, hes great if you have any questions about their products.

3. michael dukes

michael dukes Member

one of my favorite pedals ever. Mine is actually back in Koltai's hands this week getting a couple of mods done, I got mine right as they were released and the mods didn't exist yet at the time. But the envelope follower kills and the phase is good enough that I bought a '74 Bud Box Phase 90, figured out how to cop its sound 99% with the EP-1 and promptly sold the Phase 90. Just a fabulous box, I have always been surprised it hasn't gained a bigger hard core following. In fairness, I tend to go for ultra tweakable pedals, so maybe that's part of the EP-1's allure. If you're not into turning knobs and just want something simple, there may be a better alternative. But for tweakers, I think it's unbeatable.

Can you tell I like it?

4. Laxrappa11

Laxrappa11 Member

what mods are you getting done? all im aware of is the up/down and the marv mod. i hear the marv gets you pretty trippy and liquidy phaser sounds but i also hear it gets old fast.

5. Jack

Jack Member

Both sides are good. +1 on the Garcia tones. Problem: Both sides share controls and it doesn't really work to switch from one side to the other on the fly at a gig without turning some knobs.

6. woude

woude Member

I sold it after owning it for a week. When I bought it I really liked it; fat, deep, chunky, just like the videos and the clips. The problem of this pedal (for me) is that it gets old extremely fast, bandmates look at you with a *not that pedal again* face... Beside that, the phase doesn't get slow enough for my liking and you can't switch between phase and envelope mode without turning the knobs and it's really big for an effect that don't use often...

7. Monkeyboy23

Monkeyboy23 Member

MARV is just both sides of the pedal on at the same time ( like a polyphase). It can be subtle or not...it's a quack on the front of the vibe/phaser. I don't know if that is trippy or liquidy.

Mine had the Up / Down switch for the envelope, the MARV switch and an expression pedal jack for the Sweep knob. With the sweep expression pedal, it becomes a very cool phase wah pedal on top of the other cool stuff.

Using the sidechain input with a hot incoming signal results in the best quack for the envelope follower. I think that a lot of people either ignore the sidechain or don't hit it hard enough. When you do use the sidechain, the envelope follower really comes to life.

8. improv4

improv4 Member

The EP-1 is a great pedal. Not only a great phase and envelope, it can also be set as an analog clean boost.
    Experimentation is the key to getting the most of the EP-1. The more you use the pedal the easier it is to switch between the two sides.
    The mods are on my list of things to do, both the marv and up/down.
    Check out the pigtronix site for a decent video of the EP-1.
    +1 on hitting the envelope harder it really shines then. Running the EP-1 phaser into a distortion sounds incredible.
    Good luck!

9. Seegs

Seegs Member

great sounding pedal with a nice range of tones...great tool to create with...

the deal breaker was that I could not get it to cut in a live situation...totally dissappeared from the mix and I tried in a variety of situations including with an acoustic using boost and eq. pedals etc...I sold it...

Chow,
    Seegs

10. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

Great pedal, great sound.

This pedal is just insanely big! I sold it for this reason: it took the space of 4 pedals on my pedalboard: i couldn't justify this sacrifice just for a phaser.

The enveloppe filter is nice, but not tweakable enough so it won't replace a q-tron like pedal.