Pigtronix Infinity Looper question - only getting a loop time of a minute or so?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jonthomas83, Dec 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jonthomas83

jonthomas83 Member

So I'm guilty of having not read the manual (it's a big manual!), but at a glance nothing is popping out at me.

I went to record something with my swanky new looper yesterday and only got a maximum loop time on loop one of a minute or so and then it started playback. Found this weird as it's an "infinity" looper!!

This is pre-owned so wondering if there's some sort of mode I've found myself in that maybe I shouldn't be.

I know that this will be a long shot, but has anyone else here got one and experience of it? Cheers

2. delay dude

delay dude Member

Check the microSD card. 8GB is stock - it can be expanded to 32GB. I know, that the newest update changes the minimum loop time. I don´t know, if it changes the maximum time, too. But you could try to update yours to the newest firmware.

3. moore_for_less

moore_for_less Supporting Member

Home, home again… I like to be here when I can…
    You should try a factory reset. It's possible the previous owner has the memory filled and a minute is all the recording space left. Either way, a factory reset is always a good idea when buying used.

RockDebris likes this.
  4. jonthomas83

jonthomas83 Member

Thanks guys, finding anything in the manual is an arduous task really

- How do I find the memory card?
    - How to do a factory reset? ha

All questions I've asked myself and done 'ctrl + f' for! haha

5. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

The loop time is based on dividing the size of the memory card by the number of loops it is formatted for. See Chapter 9 - Minimum and Maximum Loop Times.

RockDebris likes this.
  6. Leetut

Leetut Member

7. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

The memory card is inside. Take the back plate off. By the way, if you are running Windows 10 and figure out how to update the firmware I would love to know how you did it!

8. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

+1 Pigtronix publicly released tons of beta and special function software versions while they were doing development on the final 2.0 software version. Make sure your pedal is on final release firmware and post back if you're still having problems.

Edit- The individual that wrote the code for the Infinity used to post here on TGP under the name @Hemogloben. He helped me figure out how to resolve a problem with my Infinity, so hopefully he'll see this and reply.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    dshobe likes this.
  9. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

If you're not familiar, you can update the Infinity without using the app. I haven't tried this on Windows, but under the MacOS, the Infinity's internal SD card will mount "like a thumb drive" on the Mac desktop when the infinity is connected with a USB cable. You can download a firmware image file from Pigtronix, drag and drop copy it to the SD card, and then power cycle the Infinity with a specific key combination held down and it will load the image file and update the firmware. Directions on exactly how to do this used to be published on the Pigtronix website. I might still have an email with the steps if they've been removed.

10. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

Thanks! I will try it. My computer wouldn't recognize the Infinity after following the instructions on pigtronix' website. I got too frustrated and gave up. I still don't know if it will be worth the hassle. I've never had issues updating pedals before, but that was before windows 10.

11. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

If you're planning on upgrading the SD card, email Pigtronix support for guidance. Unless something changed in the newer firmware, some SD cards require a special formatting routine before they will work.

12. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

Current firmware link: https://pigtronix.com/SPLfirmware/fwupdate.dat

Update without app instructions: https://pigtronix.com/assets/Manuals/SPLApp Manual.pdf

Archive of old development blog: https://pigtronix.com/blogs/infinity/

PhilosoPhrets likes this.
  13. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

Thread reminds me why i ditched the infinity

14. warren3333

warren3333 Supporting Member

X2

15. jonthomas83

jonthomas83 Member

@Pointy Headstock thanks for this, I've only just seen your posts, sorry.

I'm not having an awful lot of luck, but I've tried and tried to upgrade my SD card to a 128gb card. I've copied the stuff from one SD card to another, but the application isn't recognising it. I'm assuming there's an image file somewhere but can't find it. I guess this could solve my problem?

Anyone tried to upgrade to a bigger SD card?

16. CaptainYummyPants

CaptainYummyPants Member

I ran out of memory while recording a single long chord progression, less than 2 minutes. I don't have anything saved, at least not that I saved on purpose. I'm supposed to have 2 hours. This is going to be a pain, I can see that. The reason I bought it was the midi sync with the Beat Buddy. So far I'm unimpressed. Its easier to record a backing track on my Tascam and it's more portable and easier to hook up.

17. DavidH

DavidH Member

That ****ing thing nver workd properly. Mine's in a landfill somewhere, wher eit belongs.

18. PhilosoPhrets

PhilosoPhrets Member

It's a pretty advanced looper, and from the above angst, obviously not for everyone. lol

The Infinity really is a piece of gear you have to spend a little time with. Read the whole manual, upgrade to the latest firmware, watch the videos on the Pigtronix site, go from there. You might find it to be well worth the effort. I did.

Warm regards,
    Eddie

19. DavidH

DavidH Member

'advanced' LOL. Cluster#### designed by a group of people who never actually met.

20. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Try the EHX 45000. You can easily swap out SD cards and store loops of any length. Works kind of like a cross between a 4 track recorder and a looper.

I have both the 45000 and the Infinity and I use them together joined by MIDI sync. I think they are both good, but suit different purposes. I'd put the Infinity in the class of loopers I'd call a "phrase sampler". The 45000 is more like song loop production. It can also be either a MIDI clock master or slave, not just a slave.