Piitsburgh, Pa.!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Tycho, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Tycho

Tycho Member

I'll be visiting Pittsburgh in a few weeks. Naturally I'm hoping that Donnie Iris will be playing somewhere while I'm there. Apart from that, are there any gear stores I should make a point of checking out while there?

(As an aside, I have lately gotten back into playing harmonica in a big way, so if there are any retailers who have particularly good harp selections, I'd be interested in knowing that. I already know about Turboharp.)

Edited to add: Duh, I guess I could have spelled "Pittsburgh" right in the thread title. Mods, feel free to fix.

2. orionz06

orionz06 Member

Piano's N' Stuff (N'Stuff Music now) is the only place I'd consider worth a trip.

3. Mike K

Mike K Silver Supporting Member

Check out Jergel's Rhythm Grille. Good place for live music. I know that Donny Iris plays there from time to time.

http://jergels.com/

4. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

Acoustic Music Works carries some nice high end acoustic guitars. They also carry Collings electric guitars.

5. Monts

Monts Member

Well Pittsburgh has a little more music to offer other than Donnie Iris. But if that is the type of music you are looking to see, I really wouldn't even know where to start, as I don't follow much of that. However, there are many shows all over the city for all types of music. You can always grab a city paper and take a look.

A few venues with regular touring acts: Mr. Smalls, Stage AE, Rex theater, Club Café
    A few bar venues with all kinds of music: Brillobox, Gooski's, Smiling Moose, Thunderbird, 31st Pub

Gear: In addition to Pianos N Stuff, Pittsburgh Guitars in the Southside and Backstage Guitars in Lawrenceville, there is also Lawrence Music (a little bit outside of the city)

And if you're looking for music stores to buy records, CD's, etc, Pittsburgh has several that are nationally/internationally known as some of the 'must see' record stores.

6. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

Definitely N'Stuff Music and Moondog's in Blawnox

http://moondogs.us/events/

Steve Delach (who does some demos for N Stuff) plays in Billy Price's band (at Moondogs in May) would be a cool show, imho. Price is old school blue eyed soul and his band is SMOKING HOT.

7. CPower

CPower Supporting Member

here is some Donnie info

DONNIE IRIS is managed by Belkin Personal Management.
    For information regarding bookings feel free to call Mike Belkin at 216.912.4888

June 20th 2015 - Guilford Grille - Lisbon, OH
    June 26th 2015 - THUNDER IN THE VALLEY - Johnstown, PA
    August 1st 2015 - BCCI SPORTSMEN'S BASH - Beaver Falls, PA
    September 11th 2015 - Jacobs Pavilion at Nautica w/Rick Springfield and Loverboy - Cleveland, OH

Hes getting up there in age but man can he still belt em out!

I ran into him at Walmart awhile back LOL :dude

8. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

Jergel's isn't even remotely in Pittsburgh. It's way out in the suburbs.

Right near Acoustic Music Works is Jerry's Records. Walking in there is like stepping outside of the world, especially the dimly lit 78s room, decorated wih old phonographs and stringed instruments.

I have been to record stores in probably have the states in the US and there is no place like Jerry's. It would take weeks to go through all the stock, but one can get through the "just in" bins near the front pretty quick.

9. Mike K

Mike K Silver Supporting Member

Jergel's is less than 20 miles from the city. I now live in the RTP area of NC where everything is more spread out. I must have missed the part where the OP says within walking distance of downtown Pittsburgh. My bad.