• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

PIL - Compact Disc

Chrome Dinette

I must respectfully disagree. For me, the high water mark of this band was Flowers of Romance, followed closely by Metal Box/2nd Edition. After that, I would put the first record, followed by Commercial Zone. I can't sit through any of the others.

Chrome Dinette

I actually re-purchased Compact Disc recently, and I do agree that Vai does a good job, though a lot of the guitar parts are Nicky Skopelitis, who I like better on other things. I like Ginger Baker's drumming as well. The whole is just not my cup of tea somehow.

Scott57

I love FoR and MB but I also love Album/Cassette/CD/Whatever. There was a period in my life where that album was in heavy rotation. In fact, I think I'll put it on tonight.

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."
Gold Supporting Member
I love "Rise" and "Home" still to this day, but I agree that FoR is the "real" PiL because of Keith Levene and Jah Wobble's involvement that made it more of a "band" than a bunch of guys backing Lydon/Rotten.

lanny

Awesome record IMHO..Shredding normally makes me puke in my mouth but Vai's approach somehow really works. Less acrobatics, more wierdness..

mikem

I like a whole slew of PiL stuff. Album/CD/Cassette totally blew my mind when I first heard it and was the first thing I ever heard of PiL. Nobody knew about stuff like this in the town I was living in. Usually, Vai's playing seems to lack a strong context, IMHO. He was great in this one.

Mike

Ian Anderson

I have been listening to it since it was called "Album" in fact 15 or so years ago I got Steve Vai to autograph my record. Love it! It is one of those albums that brings me back to a certain time and place and the people I knew, the car I was driving, and I am quite sure even Kirby the Cat dug that album. It was pretty obscure stuff at the time that kinda warped my tastes a bit. No one really knew who Vai was. This was about the time when Flexable and Leftovers came out which got spun a quite bit.

In all these years I never knew Gignger Baker was on drums!

I never got into the other PIL albums, or Lydon for that matter.

Smakutus

I must respectfully disagree. For me, the high water mark of this band was Flowers of Romance, followed closely by Metal Box/2nd Edition. After that, I would put the first record, followed by Commercial Zone. I can't sit through any of the others.
I like Compact Disc better than 2nd edition. They're two totally different albums.

Love "FFF" (I think it's called that..)

Fffffffairwell my ffffffair weathered ffffffffriends..

Jeff

Luke

That is a great album.

Album/Compact Disc/Cassette

PiL's 1986 release was simply entitled Album, Compact Disc, or Cassette, depending on the format. The cover's blue typeface and spartan design parodied generic brands; promotional photos featured Lydon in a "generic blue" suit surrounded by generic foods and drinking generic beer. Produced by Bill Laswell (despite Lydon-fuelled faction and disunion) and with many of Laswell's usual rotating cast of musicians, it also featured guitar solos by Steve Vai, considered by Vai himself to be some of his best work. Jonas Hellborg, solo bassist and at the time, member of John McLaughlin's reformed band, The Mahavishnu Orchestra, played bass on the album. Legendary Cream drummer Ginger Baker also played on the album. Controversy reared again, with claims that the album cover and title concept had been stolen from the San Francisco noise/punk band, Flipper, contemporaries of PiL, whose album, Album, featured a similarly unadorned sleeve. Flipper retaliated by naming their next album, Public Flipper Limited. Neil Perry gave Album a positive review in the NME:
"This is a wonderful, stunning and equally confusing record, and working on the theory that you'd never expect to hear the Lydon sneer backed by prime metal riffing, that's exactly what you get. Not everywhere, of course, as proved by the haunting "Rise". And "Ease", by the way, with its shock-horror two minutes plus guitar solo, is quite beautiful...In short, Lydon and PiL are still breaking barriers. The man has extracted the false phallus from rock's trouser front and is smashing it over our heads."[10]
In the liner notes of PiL's Plastic Box compilation (1999), John Lydon remarked that:
"In some ways Album was almost like a solo album. I worked alone with a new bunch of people. Obviously the most important person was Bill Laswell. But it was during the recording of this album in New York that Miles Davis came into the studio while I was singing, stood behind me and started playing. Later he said that I sang like he played the trumpet, which is still the best thing anyone's ever said to me. To be complimented by the likes of him was special. Funnily enough we didn't use him..."[

Trending Topics