Pill Commercials: Are the People Who Make Them on LSD?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by phoenix 7, Jun 1, 2017.

1. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

Just watched a commercial where all the actors were speaking from inside a jigsaw puzzle. In another one, characters touch walls and magically create their own doorways and escalators. It seems like the trippiest stuff on TV now = ads for laxatives and eczema pills.

:messedup

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Frankee, aynirar27, cratz2 and 5 others like this.
  2. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

Go ask Alice, I think she'll know.

jnovac1, cratz2, Charlie48 and 3 others like this.
  3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Don't know about the Madison Ave. set these days, but back in the day, I had some of my most creative moments when I ... well, let's just say that I hear acid can seriously stimulate some real outside-the-box thinking. :confused:

cratz2, bender and phoenix 7 like this.
  4. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

Magically creating doors and escalators seems pretty tame to me, I've experienced some crazy things...maybe they just need better drugs. I know a guy I can put those commercial creators in touch with :hide2

5. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

it's a chocolate river. Let's take a ride, man.

6. Bogner

Bogner Member

LSD is tame in comparison to the pharma advertised today. They are probably on the juice they are marketing....lol.

7. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

If your taking meds and start seeing Yellow Eyed Watermelondogcowgoats call Dr. Pronto.

[​IMG]

8. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Does Dr. Pronto make house calls?

Scrapperz and phoenix 7 like this.
  9. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

I love to hear the disclaimers for the 55 side effects of the drug. They they speak it at warp speed.

phoenix 7, DetSlicker and Go Cat Go!! like this.
  10. thewhit

thewhit Silver Supporting Member

Designed to be understood by those already taking their products. Instructions include a secret handshake diagram...........

phoenix 7 likes this.
  11. Resonance7

Resonance7 Member

It's the 'Soma' Aldous Huxley was talking about :eek:

phoenix 7 likes this.
  12. MoPho

MoPho Pho Shizzle

Timothy Leary Advertising Agency LLC

Little_Wing likes this.
  13. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

Yet another 'med ads freaks me out' thread.
    Threads like this have waivered and folded when an OP assails the victim of a medical condition (e.g. the OIC-med-mocking threads)
    so now we get to attack med-commercials based on their imagery?
    Really?

I find it interesting that some people can't speak of bodily functions, even in euphemistic terms, without freaking out.
    It's a human function, dammit.
    And a great many humans don't 'function properly' according to text book ideal measures.
    If 'you function perfectly' then you probably just haven't lived long enough to develop one of the inevitable maladies that eventually get us all.

Tell you what:
    Let's go back to the days when medicines were not on the tube.... it wasn't that long ago.
    Let's get the OTCs off there too (acetaminophen hepatotoxicity is the #1 cause of liver transplant in the US.... let's chuck its ads)
    And let's get the Unregulated herbal/natural supplement Industry off the airwaves as well.
    And all those treatment-clinics....cancer, addiction, fat-farms, spa-medicine...
    Would we be OK with it if we did this across the board?
    It would get medical information back into the hands of the MDs, nurses, and other caregivers where it can be discussed without false claims, innuendo, and escalators magically popping up out of nowhere....whew.... there now, that made it all better, didn't it?
    Let's go back to the days when we could be blind to the conditions of others, and view our TV fluff without feeling uncomfortable for 60 seconds.
    ....and PLEASE while we are at it, let's get med-advertising-and-sales off the Internet.
    (sorry for mixing sarcasm with earnest opinion-making)

But fer chrissakes, I'd like folks like the OP to raise their maturity level and develop the ability to discuss bodily functions, pathology, and health issues without getting all 'worms make me squirm'-squeamish, or without resorting to 'attacking the messenger' (which is all attacking an ad really is). Then we could have a real debate as to whether the allowing medical advertising improves patient education and general awareness. Should the advertising (if allowed) be dry recitation of the package insert noting the on-label uses, pharmacodynamics, proper dosing and the entire list of side effects... or should some level of marketing-fluff be allowed to creep in? Should side-effects and/or contra-indications even be allowed on the airwaves, since people seem to not understand how important that info is? I mean: "who cares if you could OD on this med if you take it with grapefruit juice? ...what a crappy-designed med!!!...OD by grapefruit juice???"***

:eek:ld man continues to scream at the clouds....:

Sorry for the stream of consciousness typing style... I haven't even sipped at my morning caffeine yet.
    ....dang, this subject gets me all pissy.

***this line included to illustrate how a 'natural substance' can so alter a path of metabolism that an excess of other compounds can build up in any human to the point of lethal overdose.... yeah, that can happen, and it is due to the effect of grapefruit juice on our natural detox systems, primarily the CYP3A4 enzyme. There is currently a list of over 85 meds which are adversely affect by grapefruit juice.... some build up to toxic levels, and some pro-drugs are inhibited from metab-breakdown into their active forms therefore their medicinal effect is lessened or stopped.

sausagefingers likes this.
  14. Timcito

Timcito Member

What possible justification might there be for pharmaceutical marketing/sales blurb other than to raise profits? But that's just one of the many boils on the body of 'healthcare'. Lance that solitary pustule and another similarly infected one would appear next morning.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  15. DetSlicker

DetSlicker Member

I like the one that says do no take "X" if you're allergic to "X", or any of it's ingredients.

A-Bone, Washburnmemphis and phoenix 7 like this.
  16. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Member

Script by Ken Kesey

17. great-case.com

great-case.com a.k.a. "Mitch"

My doctor told me that my heart was not only healthy enough for sex, she called in one of her lovely physician's assistants to provide a second opinion. After four and one half hours, they determined that I didn't not truly need the pills I originally sought. It turns out all I needed was a Stethoscope nestled in cleavage. Go figure?

No kidding? Feel better? We are happy to host your very interesting treatise, and encourage you to consider discontinuation of any Caffeinated beverages or foods. You say this was before coffee?

While I agre with Mr. Lee Fort's testimony, I beg to add a distinction of merit. Sure, bodily functions should not be taboo, nor should we shy away from discussion, but at the dinner table?

I often turn to tube on while I make lunch and typically listen in on the Stock Market. Sadly, these channels sell a lot of stuff to old people... and old people take stuff that has shockingly disgusting SIDE EFFECTS include leaking, and failure to leak ... death, or worse begging for death ... .

My point is that, in order to avoid ralph'n on my kitchen counter or dinner plate, I keep the mute button close at hand.

Little_Wing and phoenix 7 like this.
  18. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

"This is Cary Grant. Ask your doctor if LSD is right for you."

19. aldridt1

aldridt1 Member

There is a new one out that i keep seeing.....Can't remember the name of the pill, but its for Opioid Induced Constipation. Its hilarious in a sad way.

20. wetordry

wetordry Member

The LSD visual, is to keep you from listening to the side effects.

Kilometers Davis likes this.