Pimping pedals on TGP to retain sale value?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lukeII, Jun 27, 2008.

1. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a thread appeared about the Analogman KOT ebay value going down (something some of us read with interest). Since then I have never seen (in the 2years I've been a member) so many threads about the KOT on TGP singing its praises and in some cases people saying they sold there other pedals because the KOT is just IT when it comes to OD yet they are still readily available on ebay.

I don't have a KOT i've heard clips and I think that is a really nice pedal however the cynical person in me can't help but wonder whether one phenomenon is related to the other. I had noticed a similar phenomenon towards the end of last year with Zendrives when production augmented and ebay prices started going down.

It would seem clever to hype gear you want to sell and then dump it on the bay or what would be even funnier in the emporium here.

Anyone else notice this.

2. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

that's rather cynical, don't you think? just a guess, but I would bet that the overall market for pedals on eBay is larger than the TGP usership by a factor of at least 100x. Hard to believe that a few glowing posts on TGP would affect the resale value by any significant degree.

3. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

Either you like a pedal or you don't. Some pedals talked up on TGP have left me flat, some have been incredible (to my ears). It's all relative. Thank God we have so many choices, choices that many past musicians haven't had... They had to rely on talent.

4. daddyo

daddyo Guest

So you think people start threads to get people excited about gear to ensure that units sell and/or sell at premium prices. Buzz marketing, hmmm . . .
    :munch

5. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Personally I think it's more of "oh there's a thread on a pedal i own. lemme check it out...yeah it rules/better out there now, i'll post that on the TGP."

It goes in waves, for instance I have a pan/volume pedal but i don't really post about it, but when i see a thread on "what's a nice pan/vol" or "my pan/vol is scratchy, anyone else?" it'll trigger a lookee on my board and a post.

6. MarkL8

MarkL8 Silver Supporting Member

Oh it happens here and other places. As to wether it is being done with the KOT I have no knowledge. One thing that is odd is a two year wait for a hot selling pedal and the maker doesnt ramp up production is very strange...but it does intensify the mystic and demand or that "unobtainium" factor. Mike is smart and please no need to defend him I know he is a great guy its his biz and he should be free to run it as he wishes. BTW I do have a KOT V4 and it is a very good pedal.

7. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

There are a lot of reasons to pimp pedals (or any other gear) and you can bet that there are hundreds of posts for each of those reasons, here and on every other board. There's no escaping "the pimp" or "pump and dump".

8. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

9. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

That would be my take on it, too...

10. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Cool chart caitlinbread - Hmm, so buy during winter, sell during summer? Sounds like a plan! But notice how the cycles gradually sink down as the product ages in the market. That's the nature of the beast!

11. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

Nah that chart actually represents the sale of lawn mower blades. Buy pedals in the summer when nobody is looking. Sell them in the winter when makers can't keep up new.
    :rotflmao

12. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

could actually be the exact inverse of what you think as well. Pricing are dropping, so more people are willing to buy the pedal, therefore more frequent glowing reviews. Having owned a kot before, i can totally understand why people would be excited about it. It's a great pedal.

13. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Actually, this is exactly why I have repeatedly yet subtley extolled the virtues of the Fartytone Pooperbox here at TGP. I have the only one, but it's the goop on all my tones, so I expect my estate to clean up when the news breaks that I'm gone yet this fartytone masterpiece remains and is available on ebaysothebys.com.
    Busted.

14. ed84246

ed84246 Member

I think you're being paranoid...and by the way, my Danelectro "Sitar Swami" is the most awesome tone I've ever found. I mean, this is a real sleeper that people have overlooked. I'll bet this'll be going for more than vintage tubescreamers in just a couple of months so if I saw one on Ebay for three times original retail, I'd certainly snatch up that bargain!

15. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

Lol!!

16. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Funny to the man himself :mob..

But wouldn't the economics of this all dicatate that builders essentially start charging the prices they will immediately sell for used (possibly ala the new Skreddy)? Wouldn't pricing the speculators out and still delivering the same product at the same price to the real end user be better? Or even a dutch auction type system?

Makes me wonder if the builders, most of whom display a decent amount of moral character feel badly themselves "charging more than it was worth".

On the other hand.. I didn't LOVE it totally, but I certainly don't get the FLOOD of crunchboxes on the used market.

17. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

There has definitely been some 'pumping and dumping' in the past. It just brings to light that when you read a post by someone you should figure out if their opinion is worth what you paid for it.

Bryan

18. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Seems like some people are just boycotting pedals that are more expensive that new too.

19. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

I can agree with that one... charge more for those with a wait.. but more than 20%... c'mon.