1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Pine body Telecaster for less than $300

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by teleamp, Jul 5, 2008.

1. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

I ordered one this morning. The new Squire 50's Vibe Telecaster. It has a 3-saddle bridge and a pine body. A couple of guys over at TDPRI already have their's, after reading their reviews I decided to give one a try. It dhould be here next week unless MF ran out again.

I'll post some pics when it shows up.

2. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Are these really PINE? Wow, that sounds like a killer deal.

Mike

3. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I've read a little on those and the overall specs look killer...I just wished I liked pine body's better but for $300 I guess you can't go wrong!

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Mike, do you still have that CS pine Tele? That guitar was sweet looking!

Let us know what you think of the Squire.

5. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Member

6. elicious

elicious Member

LINKED FOR THE LAZY

I got mine earlier this week, here are my impressions:

First, you will not believe that this guitar costs $300 the first time you see it and play it. The workmanship rivals any production line Fender guitar I've played, and I've played a few;). The finish is very nice, the translucent white body and the slight vintage tint on the neck look great. The fretwork is unbelievable on a guitar in this pricerange, very nicely done. The seat of the neck into the body is very snug. The hardware is all solid, the tuners especially impressed me with the way they keep tune. Mine weighs about what my other telecasters do, about 8lbs-ish (maybe less). Knocking on the pine body sounds more like ash or alder to me; I was expecting something "lighter" tonally, if that makes any sense. The neck is rather thin for my tastes, more akin to the 52ri from 10 years ago that was so wrong for that guitar...but this one is lovelier to look at, not that ugly orange that those 52ri's had. The nut was actually set up a bit low (!) for my tastes but I think is settling in more nicely since I tuned it up a few days ago. I was getting some open-string buzzing on day 1 but now not so much. The bridgeplate is solidly and tastefully done, the notched brass saddles again making me wonder whether I really had paid only $300 for this guitar. I found the pickups to be rather lackluster, which is sort of what I expected. I'm used to older Fralin and Barden pickups in my tele's so perhaps I'm used to a notch above stock in the areas of "bell-like" and "brightness." That being said, there are quite a few folks over at TDPRI who love the sounds they're getting and say they won't be swapping out the pickups out of their CV tele's. Overall, a very nice guitar! I will go as far as to say that if you put a Fender logo on the headstock and a Custom Shop waterslide on the back of the neck and threw it in a room with actual Fender CS guitars that few if any players would be able to tell the difference. It's that good! When was the last time you didn't have to send out a new guitar for a setup when you got it?;)

7. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

I didn't bond with the Masterbuilt and traded it for a Nocaster.

The Squire should be here in a few days, I'll post a review after I get it

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

It sounds like it's well worth the $300.00

9. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul)

Updates?

I am thinking about getting one to quell the tele gas.

10. alnico2

alnico2 Member

If the funds were available one would be mine. It would make a nice no worries guitar to take to jams.

11. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul)

Thats what Im thinking as well, with a PJ it would be perfect. I like the idea of being able to experiment with pickups and hardware and not hurt the value of something.