1. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

I've seen lots of ads on the 'bay lately for pine bodies, Tele-style particularly. It's obviously not the typical ash or alder one usually makes a Tele out of, but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with it.

What does it sound like?

What are the pros and cons of using pine to make a guitar body?

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I'm building a pine body guitar right now. I'll let you know how it sounds in about 2 weeks but tapping on it, it doesn't sound dark to me. It's old wood reclaimed from a factory. Don't know if that makes a difference.

3. SeanF

SeanF Member

I built a pine Tele, finally got it put together about a year ago.

It's not dark, but it's got a heavier sound than the typical Tele. Lots of fundamental, not so much harmonics. I think a lighter-weight piece would be better, or at least sound more typical; the stuff I used is pretty dense.

The weirdest thing about it is that there's almost no difference in sound between the pick-ups; it's got the fattest bridge pick-up sound I've ever heard. I can switch between the neck and bridge and barely tell the difference. Tons of sustain, too.

4. amper

amper Member

Yes, the original Broadcaster prototypes were pine, as were the limited edition matching guitar and amp sets that Fender produced for the 50th Anniversary of the Telecaster.

The trouble with pine is getting some that's completely dry, which is next to impossible these days unless you're cutting up something old.

5. stratrat2000

stratrat2000 Member

Nothing wrong with pine as a tonewood (les Paul's Log was largely pine), but there is pine and there is PINE. Most of the modern pine is speed grown and is lighter and softer than your good old vintage Oregon pine. Pine from colder areas (where it grows slower) tends to make a better tonewood than that grown in hotter climes. So if you can find a nice piece of old pine, chances are good it will work well.