Pine Green Compressor arrives - WOW!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dana Olsen, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

It was a long swim across the North Sea and the Atlantic, but the PGC finally arrived.

I used it at a low volume rehersal last night, and my first impression is - WOW!, it's freakin' dazzling!

Very clear and transparent - I could hardly tell I had it on sometimes, but it sustains GREAT. The "Body" (tone) knob is subtle, but noticable. Turned down all the way, I couldn't hear any difference in the guitar tone when the pedal was turned on or off - really cool!.

Oh, I was playing my '56 Esquire refin w/ Fralin Blues p/u's. Maple neck w/ 1 piece ash body, 6105's - a wonderful axe!

It's very quiet too, using the battery (included).

Turned up the Body a little ways, the tone develops, well, a little more "body" and a little treble heat, but no ice-pick at all - like a treble boost. I had the "Compress" knob at around 11-12 o'clock, and the vol around 11-12 o'clock, Body at 9 o'clock. It had great sustain, and for the first time ever, I left it on and rode the volume pot on the guitar - it worked GREAT!

I'll use it live at the Sweetwater in Mill Valley, CA, on Wednesday pm - I'm playing there with the "Bar Association" (http://www.soundbureau.com/BarAssociation) It's a 'classic and new classic" Cowboy band - a great forum in which to give the new PGC a ride (GRIN) A little Merle, a little Dwight, a little BR-549 ... You have to play a weeknight at the Sweetwater before they give you a Friday or Saturday - so it's a great opportunity, and it's only like 6 blocks from my house.

Back to the PGC: it's Deeply Twangy, and largely invisible - Really Cool for me.

That's my first impression - more to follow.

Dana

2. Dana Olsen

That's the COMPRESSOR that's quiet - not the guitar. It's an old Tele and even with new pickups it hums like a ... well, you get the picture.

Dana

3. Craise

Craise Member

Sounds great! I played a PGC in the BJF tour box and it was the best comp I've ever played. I never really cared for the Ross type, The PGC is the Anti Ross comp for sure. Just wondering why yours is called "Pine Green" Is this a custom color? or a new name? I thought it was called the "Pale Green" comp.
    Rock on! :)

4. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

EXCELLENT to hear. For a couple reasons:

1) I like the description you gave, and I'm working in sort of a folky/indie quartet right now... should be really fitting in that group.

2) If you got yours, mine MUST arrive shortly. I ordered mine only a week after you ordered yours from Dean ;)

Congrats!

-Ben

5. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Pine Green because they aren't pale anymore!

6. Dana Olsen

Hey Craise -

It's now renamed Pine Green Compressor. Apparently the Scandanavian lads prefer the new color - Finland's largest export is lumber, after all (GRIN). And they get to keep the same "PGC" acronym. I like the new darker green better too.

Hey Ben - I'm told they got a bit behind in production of all pedals, not just PGC's - something about DPDT footswitches not making delivery on time. In Finland, when you run out of parts, you can't just go someplace else. I mean, really, you're in Finland, there is no place else to go, at least quickly, for parts. Hope yours arrives soon. So do you - it's killer!

This PGC is dazzling. The attack sounds to me like it's not touched - it'd work perfect for an acoustic guitar too.

Dana

7. Craise

Craise Member

Gotcha! :dude
    All I need now is a PGC and MGMV !! and I'll be GULP... done! :)
    Here's my babies!
    [​IMG]

8. Dana Olsen

I'm a little worried about the color of that carpet ... (GRIN) but I love the pedals.

Are you 'diggin the Dyna Red Distortion pedal? That one, and the Honey Bee just slayed me at NAMM. I basically hate pedals, so these ones that Bjorn makes are a big surprise to me. They cost a lot, but they're some of the best pedals I've ever heard anywhere.

I'm afraid I'm becoming addicted.

Dana

9. ♫▐▀▄▀▌♫

♫▐▀▄▀▌♫ Member

You sick man.....:JAM

10. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I've always liked what high quality vintage studio compressors do to my sound when I'm recording but I've never been a fan of the big Nashville squeeze.

It sounds like this PGC may be the one, especially with how impressed I've been with my Honey Bee.

11. Craise

Craise Member

Come on now love the carpet...love the carpet!!! (It's in my basement/jam room, it gives it that 60's vibe :)) Yes people BJFe are the crack of the pedal world for sure. Love the Dyna, love the HB, love the LGW, love the....(see a pattern here?) Really they are the best sounding pedals I've found and I've play lots. I'm really digging how they stack together and melt together to give you even more great tones. The EGDM is my fav though...
    plugged into my 64 Fender Princeton Reverb it really sounds and feels like my friends Vox AC15. The Dyna? well I owned a Marshall Studio 15 watt combo (check ebay sig) and it's a great sounding amp for sure. But I'm selling it because I can get just as good sounds out of the dyna into the fender. I've sold all my other ODs except for the timmy(which really works well with the BJF stuff) The only pedals I haven't really tried are the landy
    and cornish stuff. The BJF stuff whipes the floor with everything else. IMHO!!!YMMV !! (gotta put that in:))
    Rock on BJF
    :dude:dude:dude:dude:dude:dude

12. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

I love my PGC. I can't wait to see how it interacts with my new amp and pedals.

i just got the klon today, zendrive tomorrow, divided by 13 10/20 thursday, and then my third SBEQ hopefully friday or saturday.

every time i've gotten the SBEQ i've sold it because i was in a pinch. this time, i'll be able to spend some quality time with it. and compare it to the klon and the zendrive.

then i'm moving on to the EGDM (again), then the CAF, then the HB, then the ... ah crap :jo