Pine vs Birch cabinets for Fender cleans...

Crow

Silver Supporting Member
I've heard people recommend pine cabs for Fender style amps and birch for Marshalls.

Can pine, however, have a tendency to be boomy and emphasize the low-mids too much? Is birch more neutral in this regard?

I have a 2x12 pine cab that I am fighting with dialing out the low-end and low-mids and wonder if birch would be tighter sounding. I noticed that Fargen amps uses a birch cab for their Blackbird model which got me wondering...

62Tele

Silver Supporting Member
A lot of cab builders go with birch because they are using plywood which is a lot easier to get than good clear pine. You also don't need to dovetail ply cabs so all in all its cheaper and easier to build. Birch ply is much stiffer and more reflective than pine and has a tighter sound. Birch can be better for high gain (always a matter of taste), but the traditional Fender tone is pine.

There are a lot of factors that go into the sound of a cab - open or closed, size, speaker choices etc.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
Pine is the classic tone. I built myself a JTM45 with a 65 watt power section and I run it into a Rockit Pine 2x12 and it sounds absolutely amazing! It has that amazing bounce that only pine can give...

gtone

Birch cabs tend to be more "neutral" and add less colouration to the tone of the cab. Pine tends to resonate, especially as it ages and colours the cab's tone. The latter can have some real magical effects when combined with clean tones of a Fender. I had a '51 TV Front Deluxe that would sustain clean notes for 26 seconds or longer - it was a really cool thing.

Silent Sound

I wouldn't try to change only the wood in a cab and expect a major difference. Two cabs of the same dimensions with the same speaker and the same design will sound very similar, regardless of the type of wood used to construct them. I'm not saying there won't be a difference, because there will. I just don't think it would make a large enough difference to "correct" any problems you're having with your current setup.

So I'd ignore the wood the cab is made from and concentrate more on the speakers and the design/size of the cab if you're looking for a change. You're money would be better spent there.

cnardone

When I had my cab built, Jdesigns asked about volume and Style. Too loud or too 'heavy' and he thought Birch would have been a better choice. With a 50W two rock, we decided on pine.

cmn

gtone

Pine will be lighter than the birch too - another possible consideration although it doesn't make a lot of difference in a smaller cab.

What kind of Fender amp are you running? If it's 6L6-based, I've found that many Fender circuits provide a huge bottom end out of 6L6GC's (especially those old RCA's!), whereas 6L6WGB's have a much more attenuated bottom-end. Speaker choice can also make a big difference, as you probably know, probably much more than the wood used in your cab.

You also mentioned you wanted a more focused sound. Closed-back amps seem to provide a lot more of that than open-back or partially open back cab designs. There are many factors at play that shape your end-result tone.

Trending Topics