Ping on saddles after flipping them (Les Paul)

Blue-moon

Gold Supporting Member
My tech did a setup on my les paul. As part of the setup, I had him flip the saddles on my callaham bridge on the Low E A D strings. The A and D were all the way to the back and intonation was still slightly off.

Got the guitar back and now I get a ping on all three strings when I tune them. I assume the issue is with the notches in the saddle, right? I put some nut sauce on the notches and that helped a little. Any quick fixes or just give it back to the tech.

Last edited:

blackie59

You probably need the tech or yourself to make sure there are no tiny burrs on the leading edge of the saddle of each string. In other words you probably need to polish the grooves of the saddles.

oldlefty

Or if the saddle slots had been cut at a slight angle (which they should be), when reversed the string might now be floating right above the front of the slot? Can you say "Ravi Shankar"?

Blue-moon

Gold Supporting Member
Oldlefty...I am guessing you are right as all three are pinging. I could see a bur on one, but not all three. It must be the way they were initially cut.

Trending Topics