Pinging sound behind the nut...?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Jeeves, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Jeeves

Jeeves Member

I just picked up my new Muddy Waters tele from the shop where I had it fret dressed and set up. It plays great, but when I bend a note on the G string I hear a very noticable pinging sound behind the nut. The pinging occurs twice - during the bend and as I'm easing the string back into position. If I damp the string with my right-hand index finger behind the nut and then repeat the bend with my left hand I don't hear anything. So I think its limited to just that third string.

I'm sure my tech guy will take it back and fix whatever it is but can anyone offer some ideas as to what is causing this?

2. loudguitarz

loudguitarz Member

There's probably a rough place in the nut. You can use Precision Lubricator from Radio Shack in the nut slot and it will stop. It's $3.00 per tube.

3. patpark

patpark Member

tight nut slot. the slot needs to be widened slightly so the string doesn't catch. also the lube idea worked well, nutsauce or any decent lubricating oil.

4. ronin32

ronin32 Member

My Strat also did this when I would pick it up off a stand, it was the nut being too tight on the B string.

5. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

I agree.The nut slot on that string needs to be widened.Make sure the angle is also right.

6. bobbymack

bobbymack Member

+1, but I'd tell that to the luthier when I brought it back to let him do it. That will send him the message that you have higher standards than his, and in the future he'd best be doing his best work on your guitars...

My $.02 (it would piss me off if I had a binding nut slot after a "pro" setup...)

7. BrandonT

BrandonT Member

Dam nuts always the nuts...

8. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

+1

With that said, a nut job isn't part of standard setup, but if it's only one string, a tech who took pride in his or her work would have taken care of it for you.

stratzrus