Pink Floyd Animals

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by thewalkingboss, Jan 21, 2016.

1. phoniako

phoniako Supporting Member

Love Pink Floyd, difficult to list in order of favorites, definitely Animals is in my top 3!
    The other two being Wish you Where Here and The Wall.

Gilmour's solo on Dogs is raw and ferocious, very ah doc to the album's title.

I don't think The Final Cut is a bad album, I just think it should've been Waters' first solo album. It is evident they were not a band anymore.

2. Coldacre

Coldacre Member

pleasure! always cool to hear new stuff from classic recordings :)

3. Coldacre

Coldacre Member

LOL. I'm sure it was a great concert!

I hate to ruin the magic, it was just the sound man panning the sound around the PA. the Azimuth Coordinator was retired in 1971.

4. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

I agree. I loved it as a teen, I guess I could relate to some of the angst filled crap at that age, but as an adult I feel the album would have been better it it had ended with Goodbye Cruel World. Perhaps work Comfortably Numb into the sequence of the first disc, and you have as perfect a collection of the Wall as you're going to get

imho of course

5. dougb415

dougb415 Silver Supporting Member

Oh well, that's what we were told. I was right on the rail, and you could hear Gilmour's guitar being panned to each of the four speaker towers, so they were at the very least using a quadrophonic sound system. Never heard anything like it since, including the Waters-less Floyd.

bloomz likes this.
  6. Ricardo P

Ricardo P Member

Animals is my favorite PF album, just a tinny step ahead the others.

Interesting fact: Pink Floyd NEVER played ANY of this album's songs after Roger left, David never played also in his tours. AFAIK there were no legal impediment for that so.... :dunno

Also: There is no documentary or making off for this album. DSOTM was over documented as well a Barret's story. The Wall and WYWH had their documentaries as well and the other albums are (sorry) kinda irrelevant for the media to invest on a production. But nobody say a word about it. All documentaries I saw just a little mention that Roger spat on a fan during Animals tour (but for justify The Wall btw), not much more...

I guess this is like a forbidden subject, to never summon those deamons again, those that were living with the band at that time, the same that made this album so dark and deep and the solos so angry.

Lovely

7. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

I'm in a tribute project. We do a different band every year.

We just got done with a Floyd show where we did Animals and WYWH in their entirety.

As an album, I think I still like WYWH better, but Animals is fantastic. Some of Gilmour's best, and most interesting, solo work - and I learned them all note-for-note!

There's a bunch of it on our FB page (including full length versions of Dogs and Pigs) if you want to check it out:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=vb.140469342798966&type=2

bloomz likes this.
  8. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

Just listened to your version of "Dogs" ... excellent job, Scott!

Zexcoil likes this.
  9. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

I think Comfortably Numb and Hey You are the only tracks from disc 2 that are standouts. I could definitely get rid of One Of My Turns and Don't Leave Me Now...

Average Joe likes this.
  10. keiths

keiths Member

Any chance they are on a site besides fb? I am the last fb hold out in the world. Lol

free_jazz likes this.
  11. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

No, sorry man.

12. burningyen

burningyen Member

Wow, Don't Leave Me Now is an amazing song. Diff'rent strokes.

13. Stev0Griffin

Stev0Griffin Trendsetter

Best songson disc 2 are Nobody Home and Waiting for the Worms. Both are amazing.

Animals is tied with WYWH for me, which is suiting since they were written together.

Animals is nice, dark, and brooding. Love it!

Jp2558 likes this.
  14. blueworm

blueworm Member

Different strokes ... To me the entire sequence 'Hey You' > 'Comfortably numb' (which is side 3 of the original double LP) is a great moment.

Jp2558 likes this.
  15. SharkAtl

SharkAtl Member

For me, WYWH is my all time favorite, followed by DSOTM, A, and then the non-RW stuff MLOR then DB, which I think are much better than RW's TPACOH or RKAOS. I have definitely enjoyed the newest one, TER, as it does have some tasty DG solos. Never was much into the early PF, like TPATGOD or OBC or AHM. To me, TFC is just filler.

Whew! I'm tried. That's a lot of acronyms!

16. Funkhauser

Funkhauser Member

It's interesting how low profile Animals is compared to their other 70s albums. For the casual fan the big 3 albums would be DSOTM, WYWH and The Wall. The average casual fan would barely be aware of Animals despite it coming from the same time period. I guess it has a lot to do with the lack of a radio friendly hit, which each of their big 3 albums had (Money, WYWH & Another Brick).

17. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

I'll admit that I've always considered myself a "Floyd fan" but I was not intimately familiar with Animals until we started prepping this show. I'd heard the songs here and there and I could hum "Big man, pig man", but I hadn't really gotten to know it.

I've had DSOTM, WYWH, The Wall and MLOR in rotation for years...

I'm glad something kicked me into finding it. It's excellent!

18. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

Demos
    Dogs:

Pigs (3DO):

Sheep:

19. Ricardo P

Ricardo P Member

Well , that was a lot of acronyms :)

Check this two song from AHM and OBC! ;)

20. DHC

DHC Member

Funny this came up ... just yesterday 'Dogs' came on the ipod. Outstanding.

It's my brothers favorite album, overall. He sent me a link to the lyrics on 'Sheep'; that's some f&cked up stuff right there.