Pink Floyd The Division Bell

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Pidgin English, Feb 24, 2020.

1. jmfreeland

jmfreeland Member

One of my top 10
    Totally agree, the remixes are too dry for the feel of the music, at least for my taste.

2. moemoe6434

moemoe6434 Member

This is odd. I just had a conversation with a co worker on Friday AM about how great MLOR and DB are.

Both are great albums that reputations suffer from a history of jaded fans.

3. Madsen

Madsen Member

I remember this coming out when I was in college. While I was aware of PF, this was the first time I really started paying attention to them & dove deeper into their catalog. Should have caught them live, but I was a broke ass student at the time.

4. darkwaters

darkwaters Member

Love the title track.

5. FuzzyAce

FuzzyAce Member

And too warm, not enough definition. The complexity of the original is what made it unique... and the remix is also missing upper mid presence and punch. Doesn't have the excitement. It's hard not to be bias of course, being so used to the original and liking it just the way it is.

jmfreeland likes this.
  6. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I'm a long-time fan of pre-Animals PF, and I recall when this album came out, it sounded very familiar. Too familiar! It was as if they mined their own sonic clich├ęs that typify the Floyd sound, pasting them together to increase their appeal. That was disappointing, and it still disappoints me.

That said, those sounds are excellent, and I can still listen to this album once a decade, or so, and enjoy it. That's much more than I can say for The Final Cut, which I have not listened to again since 1983.

Pidgin English likes this.
  7. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

I was supposed to see that concert at the New Orleans Superdome when I was stationed at Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi. But the base was on lockdown that weekend so we weren't allowed to leave the base :(

8. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

They are, in my book, proper Floyd albums. Rick Wright gets short shrift (especially after he got axed by Waters) but he is such a key ingredient to the PF sound, maybe almost as much as Dave's guitar work.

And I personally love how Rick Wright was the only one who made money on the Wall tour because he was a salaried employee at that time :D

9. ZeyerGTR

ZeyerGTR Member

I like it, too, especially High Hopes. Not in my top 5 Pink Floyd albums, but it's still quite good.

10. Tidbit

Tidbit Member

Richard Wright did not get axed by Roger Waters. Richard Wright got axed by both David Gilmour and Roger Waters for being an unproductive coke addict. He was also not a full member on TDB. Gilmour need his presence to make it a "legitimate" Floyd record but didn't yet trust him enough to make him a full band member again.

11. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Member

I had this in the car CD player a few months back, and when it came on, I listened for about 3 minutes, thinking "who the heck is this"? A few of the songs are pretty good.

For reference, my PF faves are:
    Meddle
    Wish You Were Here
    and I might include Animals, though I don't own it.

DSOTM is obviously a classic but boy I think I've heard it as much as I need to in this lifetime.
    The Wall didn't really float my boat so much
    The earlier stuff is a bit chaotic for my tastes.

Pidgin English likes this.
  12. Vanilla Latte

Vanilla Latte Member

My favorite Pink Floyd album ever.

jmfreeland and Sacrifice like this.
  13. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

I'm totally with you on The Wall and the pre-Meddle stuff. Other than Brick In the Wall, Mother, Hey You, Comfortably Numb and Run Like Hell, I don't like the rest of the album.

14. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

None more Floydian.

15. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

Secret?

freedom's door likes this.
  16. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

I though it was AMLOR, as I understand it he came in late and had not funded it and it was also in part to fend off Roger's litigation. Nick and David were in the band never having left, so Wright would have weakened their case. But who knows for sure.

freedom's door likes this.
  17. General_Specific

General_Specific Member

The audio quality was good, but the production is incredibly dated.

18. MickeyJi

MickeyJi Member

I quite like having both mixes to listen to! The original in all its bombastic, 80's, reverb-drenched overkill and the new, sparse and dry version with more hammond and less synth and less gated, splashy drums. Both versions are cool!

Calebz and Pidgin English like this.
  19. Brad2

Brad2 Member

I also like the Albums with more songstructure in them. The Dark side and especially Wish you were here. That album has a perfect balance between song structure and the spacy earlier material.

20. Tidbit

Tidbit Member

My apologies. It was TDB. I typed too quickly. The point stands, however, that both Roger and Dave fired Rick for The Wall tour. There were interviews with Dave around that time where he admitted to it. Both Roger and Dave did not have kind words to say and, later on. Rick admitted his addiction. As time marches on, the truth "evolved" to it being just Roger. It fits in better with the current narrative that Waters was the villain the entire time.