Pink Floyd - Time

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bilbal, Feb 28, 2012.

1. bilbal

bilbal Member

Ive been working on Time for a few days. As many will agree, the solo is just awesome.

I can't figure out how to set the delay. It sounds to me like Gilmour has a couple different delay times (maybe type) and intensities throughout the solo.

Can someone please help?

2. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

I know this isn't much help (in terms of settings), but to my knowledge he does use two delays and sets them differently. To get around that, using both delay and reverb may help get that thick, spacey sound.

3. entraind

entraind Supporting Member

4. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Yea, his delay is pretty interesting. My understanding is one is an echo and the other is a DD2 (?)... I read everything I could find on this a while back, a search will yield a lot of info. I think he sets one around 3-350ms and on around 450-480ms. He isn't a reverb fan, but, according to his sound engineer, they use reverb in the studio, which can 'soften' the delay and make it more echo-like.

What delay are you using? How close do you want to get? If you want to be exact, I think he has the two delays in a parallel loop (separated from each other IIRC, but I could be wrong). This keeps the dry signal more clear. One of the delays, like I said, is a Boss, the other I believe is a Cornish.

I find that I can get pretty close with a Flashback using the Matt Beck Echo Toneprint. I sometimes use a single delay, other times I use the dual setting. While the dual setting probably doesn't match the exact timing Gilmour uses, it does the trick. His delay is more of an background, ambient, reverb-like thing; dark and washed over, having little to no attack. I think that is the most important aspect and one well-set delay can do a good enough job IMO.The Flashback into the RV7 (I usually use the plate setting) works pretty well.

5. Leov

Leov Member

As a hobby I studied that solo about a year ago... I listened to it very carefully and tried to replicate the sound until I got it the best I could for one straight take (recording).

My conclusion is that it's impossible (At least for someone with recording gear like mine) to get it 100% accurate since there's a lot of coloring recording gear involved (Comps, channelstrips etc) and I don't own the same gear David used (Hiwatts, some especulate there were some Fenders on that recording too, Binson Echorec Delays, and some other pedals). Besides that, I could hear some recording punches or something similar since there are some drasticalchanges in tone related to presence, gain and delay settings...

Added note: I'm 99% sure the record solo has some post plate reverb added. The delay in Time sounds just like the Binson Echorec tape delay he was using in that era (watch Echoes Live at Pompeii solo). Boss didn't exist at the time... nor Pete Cornish custom pedals as per what I understand, and as per what I know the first digital delay he used was a huge MXR unit during late 70s for the Animals tour.

Let's use this youtube clip as reference:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuNVibPMbSo

The solo starts at 3:11. In 3:28 you can hear how the guitar comes up front with somehow more presence, and also you can feel more the first repeat of the delay from now on, the overall tone is kinda brighter and somehow bigger from here and the repeats are fatter and more "Complete", before it was darker and the repeats were kinda thin (like if a subtle HP filter was added) with less mix in the delay. In 3:42 I can feel how a secondary delay is added, not sure if it's over the main one (Abbey Road delay gear? maybe... lets ask Alan Parsons!) and it's very very present, very high mix on the delay setting, and this repeats come 3 beats after the attack, this one last for just some seconds, then it comes back to the normal delay sound we've been listening. The harmonic on 3:55 when he does that insane bend is simply awesome, what an expressive guitar player David Gilmour is!!!! In 4:13 I could feel less gain, maybe he rolled the volume down a bit for this section or played the guitar very very soft... but if you put some attention the tone is back to the one we listened in the first section of the solo haha... maybe on 4:10 they come back to the original take and then he rolled off the guitar volume a bit (He used to do that a lot on those years).

Maybe he did some takes and the gear reacted different after it got hotter making it noticeable when they punched... or maybe it was deliberately done like that to make the solo sound less linear tonewise (If this was the reason I can only say: Mission Accomplished). Anyway.... this is such an incredible and expressive guitar solo it scares me haha. One of the best live replications I've hear is from Australian Pink Floyd's concert at the Albert Hall. As the Farting Preacher says: Watch This! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhXLaoelqKI

Added note: look how the Aussie Gilmour has an expression pedal all the way down in his right foot in the section where the second delay appears in the original recording... I guess that's for controlling the mix of his delay, then right after that he moves it upwards again... just where the guitar lose the second delay in the recording. Interesting! This guy really wanna make it right sticking to the original tones and intention!

And here's Leov's wannabe replication of tone haha (tone... not guitar playing)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2596224/Leov - Time solo test.mp3

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
    powdermnky007 likes this.
  6. yucatown

yucatown Theory-free noodling enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I'm fairly certain that he's using his Binson Echorec in the solo. He's definitely using it on the legendary guitar parts at the beginning.

7. jimshine

jimshine Member

I agree Leov. The raw tone is very similar to the sound he was getting on "Echoes" on the Pompeii version. If you watch the newer version, they show him in the studio recording the overdubs for the film (yeah, it blows the illusion), and there is a clip where it is just him playing switching back and forth from clean and that tone.

8. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Whoa.

I knew that there was a big market out there for "tribute bands," but playing at the RAH????

9. papersun

papersun Member

Australian Pink Floyd is freaking legit. Absolutely insane show.

10. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

Given that Dark Side of the Moon was recorded around 40 years ago. I would say that Dave probably used an Echoplex or a tape delay that was created in the studio. The DD 2 is out of the question since Digital Delays didn't exist then.

I am sure he is using digital stuff now for the live stuff but, to achieve the album tone a tape echo and some reverb replicate it nicely if you have to have authentic. I use my digital stuff now and it does a nice job on it.

11. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

True - I had read his rig setup a while back and I have no idea what era it was from. I guess I assumed he might be doing a similar thing with the delays: if he uses two, he might wire them in parallel, cuz I don't hear two delays interacting with each other.

12. WoweeZowee

WoweeZowee Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGsFAD2TEe0

Great solo. After you learn the album version, give this one a go. Gilmour's volume swells and note selection over the chorus chord progression section of the solo are just mind-blowing. Solo starts at 3:48.

13. Volontaire

Volontaire Member

Awesome website !

14. justonwo

justonwo Member

Well, I haven't done the in depth study that some here have done, but I can get fairly close. My Superdelay has a tape delay setting that I use to get the kind of dark repeats you need for that solo. You should adjust the mix so the delays aren't too out front. Feedback is set to 3 or 4 repeats and delay time . . . probably 300 ms or so.

I also use the reverb in my amp to add atmosphere to the delays. And, of course, you need a good silicon fuzz face.

15. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

damn. I've been playing that solo for a long time now. I even use a backing track that's commercially available for the entire album. I've never even once thought about putting a delay on the solo.

16. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

It is dark and washed out, but there - fairly easy to overlook, but Gilmour was a delay geek as much as he was a fuzz geek.

17. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

I've always been more concerned about what someone here called the 'presence' of the solo and how it stands out. Never took time to realize there was ever a delay. In the back of my mind I thought it was reverb applied post-recording.

I mean aside from getting the notes & feel right of course.

18. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Yea... I think considering the presence aspect, that is a reason he keeps the wet effects kinda in the background so they don't take away from the articulation and focus of the solo.

Watching an interview with his studio engineer (and him and Waters), they do use reverb on studio recordings, I think the lends to the 'washed out' nature of the delay that keeps it in the background. The engineer was talking about some of the leads from Money, saying how the one has no reverb and it is pretty obviously dry.

19. belman2003

belman2003 Member

Hey,

Here's a vid i did of it with the backing track from gilmourish.com
    I used a tape echo set at around 550ms with 3 or 4 repeats.
    The solo is very delay heavy, But when i was originally tracking this one it sounded way too overpowering on it's own, but when in the mix it sat quite well as the repeats get a little lost behind everything else.
    http://youtu.be/Y2Zlffuow8w

20. justonwo

justonwo Member

Here is a recording of the setup above. Just my Strat, Fuzz Face, Superdelay, and Rivera amp with some reverb.

http://www.jus-tone.com/misc/recordings/Time_Solo.mp3

coldengray likes this.