• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Pink -Justin Derrico "Babe I'm gonna leave you" solo

mxandmyax

I can't figure out what the deal is with this solo.... It's so freakin good and I can't figure out what he's doing in the first... slow part.... I know it should be the easiest part. However I just can't figure out what he's doing.... It's just a walk, but from where to where. I feel lie this is one of those solos that would really benefit me to learn, so if you can figure it out I'd love some help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tQubiPhhV0

jhumber

I haven't transcribed any of that (yet, it's on my todo list), but it's a *great* solo. The whole band is on fire, check out how hard the drummer is going for it :)
Mr Derrico is a monster player all-round....I saw this tour when it came to London, and that guy has got chops to spare. I'll PM you if I get round to transcribing this...

Edit: Just watched the youtube clip, and I'm fairly sure there's a bad edit at the very start of the solo, between 3:16 and 3:17. I'm sure that's not there on the DVD. Anyway, the chords are Am, Am/G, D/F#, F, E....kind of an Andalusian cadence at play. It sounds like he's using mostly A natural minor throughout most of the progression, although there are certainly times where he's using arpeggios to go through the chords (3:59 - 4:06). You might expect to see some A harmonic minor creep in over the E chord, but I don't hear it anywhere obvious.

jimification

I've heard him do some other cool stuff but to me what he's playing there doesn't fit at all - it sounds like someone practicing :D

Go for it if you like it though!

buddastrat

I've heard him do some other cool stuff but to me what he's playing there doesn't fit at all - it sounds like someone practicing :D

Go for it if you like it though!
I agree. He sounds like someone practicing, three note per string type exercises in the shred style. In the slow beginning part, I just skimmed it quick, but it sounds like Am pent in the usual 5th fret pos. I think he could've went for some more melodic lines. It's not a shred tune.

An excellent practice tool is to get yourself a Gdec or something you can record a loop of that progression and practice in Am diatonics and pentatonics. That's the best way to learn, teach yourself. I like using this progression or While My Guitar Gently Weeps which is similar.

spakuloid

Wow - mad respect for Pink. I know she can sing - but wow. She has amazing tone and range. And she sells it big time. But that guy is overplaying. Way way overplaying. This must be his 2 minutes of glory per night - so he lays everything he's got out - but for me it is just like he's playing a different tune - a Dream Theater tune. Clearly he's a great technician. But this song is smoky rock n soul and he's just showing off. Play for the song. I can tab it out for you if you like. What part do you want? The tapping bit at the opening?

mxandmyax

Not just that. Though I have never really tapped, so I'd be interested in figuring it out. also the part right after he goes to the 10th position for a while

spakuloid

The first thing I can tell you is that the solo is edited in the beginning right at the point of the tapping bit. If you count the beat - hard 4/4 - it is off during the drum fill - and that is a classic video edit. I am a professional video editor - that part was cut together. Perhaps that is why it is hard to nail the opening as it cut off the beat and throws you off. The rest of it seems fine and I'll tab bit of it out for you.

Clifford-D

Wow - mad respect for Pink. I know she can sing - but wow. She has amazing tone and range. And she sells it big time. But that guy is overplaying. Way way overplaying. This must be his 2 minutes of glory per night - so he lays everything he's got out - but for me it is just like he's playing a different tune - a Dream Theater tune. Clearly he's a great technician. But this song is smoky rock n soul and he's just showing off. Play for the song. I can tab it out for you if you like. What part do you want? The tapping bit at the opening?
Ditto, ditto, ditto,,, Pink sounds great, plus all the other stuff you said.

jhumber

Ah well, he can't please everyone. I guess he'll just have to settle for rocking out night after night in front of 20,000+ people as side-man for one of the biggest solo acts in the world right now. Damn, I hope he doesn't read this thread, he'll be heartbroken ;-)

To the guy who posted "this must be his 2 minutes of glory each night", you owe it to yourself to check out one of her live shows, or the DVD from the Funhouse tour. She clearly encourages the shred-antics....several songs are massively extended to make room for the guitar.

JonR

The first thing I can tell you is that the solo is edited in the beginning right at the point of the tapping bit. If you count the beat - hard 4/4 - it is off during the drum fill - and that is a classic video edit. I am a professional video editor - that part was cut together.
You're not kidding! Dunno about "classic", but that's a terrible edit - hard to tell how many beats are missing, but 1 or 2 at least.

Just to add my $0.02 to the criticism. I think the whole performance (her, him, the whole band) is toe-curlingly overblown and boring. But than I am getting old... ;)
The guitar playing is technically good, of course, and better than some shred solos - there are hints of phrasing and shape in there - but still tediously bombastic.

"Bombastic" is a great adjective, btw, very useful in rock criticism:
"using or characterized by high-sounding but unimportant or meaningless language; pompous; grandiloquent"
:D (It applies to the whole arrangement, not just the guitar)

but like I say - I'm not as young as I used to be... (As for tabbing out any of the guitar - hard to imagine a more pointless task...)

Sorry, guys! I like to get these things off my chest occasionally. Carry on and enjoy... :)

lifeinsong

Ah well, he can't please everyone. I guess he'll just have to settle for rocking out night after night in front of 20,000+ people as side-man for one of the biggest solo acts in the world right now. Damn, I hope he doesn't read this thread, he'll be heartbroken ;-)

To the guy who posted "this must be his 2 minutes of glory each night", you owe it to yourself to check out one of her live shows, or the DVD from the Funhouse tour. She clearly encourages the shred-antics....several songs are massively extended to make room for the guitar.
Very well said my friend! Justin can play circles around most guitar players and the whole "Funhouse" tour was supposed to be slightly over the top anyway. To those unfamiliar with his playing, do yourself a favor and search the internet for more info and some amazing video clips.

JimmyD

I'm 50+ years young and piss poor edit aside (which definitely ruined one's perspective of what he was building) that was a hell of a solo spot that fit that tune perfectly for what Pink wanted/needed.

spakuloid

OK here you go - the fast part of the solo tabbed out and slowed down for everyone. I used a program called CAPO that I urge anyone who has a hard time learning this stuff to go and buy. It took me about a half hour to tab out. It took longer to make the video and post it. It starts after the tapping bit - ENJOY.

TopDog

"jumping the valence"
Gold Supporting Member
He's playing a Les Paul in the beginning but there's an acoustic tone I'm hearing. Must be some overdubbing on this.

jhumber

No, it's an LP Axcess with the piezo, runnin through quite alot of acoustic DI and processing. No overdubs going on, I've seen it live.

willyboy

Silver Supporting Member
wow, tough crowd! I thought the solo was great. Some nice lines, great tone and feel - Hey it's a rock concert not a lounge jazz gig! So the guy gets one real chance to blow all night long, I would have played similar stuff. I guess my tastes are equally overindulgent?

spakuloid

There is no denying the man is a monster. Great tone, great chops, looks like a ****ing star. Is is me or is there a lot of old Zach Wylde refs in his playing?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom