Pinnacle/Brownie/Crunchbox with EQ

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by iceman823, Mar 2, 2015.

1. iceman823

iceman823 Member

Has anyone else found success with running an EQ into these pedals or other pedals of the "brown sound" variety to give them a more present tone? I'm running them into an Egnater Tweaker 40 head and 1x12 cab with a Vintage 30 and had a horrible time pulling them out of the mud so to speak. Using the amp's bright switch made them raspy as did winding up the pedal's tone controls too much. I have the Crunchbox's internal presence dial way up and I clipped both of the Brownie's low pass filters out of the circuit. The Pinnacle was the worst of the 3 as it was uselessly muddy without the tone control nearly dimed and then it sounded unnatural.

Enter the MXR 10-band EQ pedal...

Placed before each of these pedals, they've finally come to life. A slight dip in the lowest frequencies and boosting the **** out of the 1k, 2k &4k frequencies gives them the presence they're missing in stock form. The Brownie in particular with the EQ absolutely nails early VH. But that is with the two low-pass filters clipped (I found the stock Brownie uselessly dark and distant sounding).

Problem is, this tonal improvement comes at the expense of a SHITLOAD of noise! Is this a notoriously noisy EQ? Any suggestions for a better one? Also, any suggestions for a better EQ for running into pedals from a tonal standpoint?

I've never liked using outboard EQ before but the change it made to my pedals was the difference between selling and keeping them.

Try it!

2. rockapede

rockapede Supporting Member

Try to use the eq to cut the frequencies you don't want rather than boosting anything. Should have a similar effect without the noise.