• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Pinnacle Deluxe vs smaller box

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
Hi everyone, I did do a search and there probably is a discussion somewhere about this but I didn't find it.

It's very clearly spelled out on the website what the differences are, feature wise, between the Pinnacle Deluxe (bigger box) vs the smaller version minus boost footswitch. It also clearly states that there is "NO" tonal difference between the two, features aside.

Have any of you used both versions? I would prefer the smaller footprint but not at the expense of ANY even tiny lack of tonal comprimise as compared to the "deluxe" version. Do most of you feel that the boost switch option of the Deluxe version is an absolutely "must have"? The internal volume trim pot doesn't strike me as a feature that I must have.

I was super hyped on the SLOstortion but so far the clips are making me think that the Pinnacle is closer to the tone I seek.

Cheers :beer

Haven't played the small box, but I chose the Pinnacle Limited (Deluxe?) version simply because I didn't want to be bending down & flicking a toggle during a song just to kick the boost in. The foot switch makes more sense to me. Spend a few bucks more for the big box.

Heady Jam Fan

Never tried the big box, just got the little one and it rocks. Similarly, I traded my Tim of a Timmy - I would rather have a designated, single boost than a number of big pedals, though there might be benefits of the Pinnacle's boost I am unaware of.

DraggAmps

The Deluxe just puts the boost toggle in a footswitch. The boost toggle doesn't boost volume, so it's not like it's a lead boost, it just adds a little extra gain for sending it over the edge into pure saturation. If you're going to be using the pedal for super high gain brown sound stuff, you're going to want the boost on all of the time. The thing is, is the boost doesn't really make it go from overdrive to distortion, so it's not like by having the smaller version you're giving up a second channel that you could have used for lower gain rock tones. The boost is just for a little extra gain if you need it, so if you want a lower gain tone, you're pretty much going to have to tweak the pedal anyway. I always had the boost on, so having the footswitch wasn't very much of a big deal to me.

However, I believe the Deluxe is still the same pedal as the "Limited". The Limited was a reissue of a earlier version of the Pinnacle and it was such a big hit that they decided to keep on building it and therefore it wasn't "limited" anymore, so they called it the Deluxe. The reason they reissued this boost version was because some people said there was some slightly different tone mojo going on with this earlier model, even though I believe Brian estimates that the circuits are 95% the same and I think he also said that the difference in the circuit didn't even really have to do with the tone. Also, for all I know, the current smaller box Pinnacle is not made with that same exact earlier model schematic. Either way, I doubt you'd hear a difference in tone aside from the difference that all identical pedals have due to tolerances in the components used (which will make more difference, generally, than that 5% difference that the Deluxe/Limited have in their circuit, by the way).

Honestly, you're not going to "lose any bit of tone" or "compromise" or anything. When it comes to these slight differences, there's no way you can actually decide which one you like better and the difference can usually be made up in EQ anyway. Plus, given the part tolerances, any two Deluxe's would probably sound just as much as different as a Deluxe compared to a regular Pinnacle. If you think you would rather have the smaller footprint, I'd go ahead and do that because the boost isn't going to make a big difference. You will decide if you like it off or on and then you'll leave it that way. If you're like me and you like it on all the time, then the Deluxe would just be a little annoying because not only does it take up more space, but you'd always have that little LED on the boost side ON, even when the pedal is OFF, since you'd always have it in boost mode (and yes, the boost LED will stay on all the time, even when the pedal is off/bypassed).

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
Wow, great feedback!! Thank you very much everyone for sharing!

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
The Deluxe just puts the boost toggle in a footswitch. The boost toggle doesn't boost volume, so it's not like it's a lead boost, it just adds a little extra gain for sending it over the edge into pure saturation. If you're going to be using the pedal for super high gain brown sound stuff, you're going to want the boost on all of the time. The thing is, is the boost doesn't really make it go from overdrive to distortion, so it's not like by having the smaller version you're giving up a second channel that you could have used for lower gain rock tones. The boost is just for a little extra gain if you need it, so if you want a lower gain tone, you're pretty much going to have to tweak the pedal anyway. I always had the boost on, so having the footswitch wasn't very much of a big deal to me.

However, I believe the Deluxe is still the same pedal as the "Limited". The Limited was a reissue of a earlier version of the Pinnacle and it was such a big hit that they decided to keep on building it and therefore it wasn't "limited" anymore, so they called it the Deluxe. The reason they reissued this boost version was because some people said there was some slightly different tone mojo going on with this earlier model, even though I believe Brian estimates that the circuits are 95% the same and I think he also said that the difference in the circuit didn't even really have to do with the tone. Also, for all I know, the current smaller box Pinnacle is not made with that same exact earlier model schematic. Either way, I doubt you'd hear a difference in tone aside from the difference that all identical pedals have due to tolerances in the components used (which will make more difference, generally, than that 5% difference that the Deluxe/Limited have in their circuit, by the way).

Honestly, you're not going to "lose any bit of tone" or "compromise" or anything. When it comes to these slight differences, there's no way you can actually decide which one you like better and the difference can usually be made up in EQ anyway. Plus, given the part tolerances, any two Deluxe's would probably sound just as much as different as a Deluxe compared to a regular Pinnacle. If you think you would rather have the smaller footprint, I'd go ahead and do that because the boost isn't going to make a big difference. You will decide if you like it off or on and then you'll leave it that way. If you're like me and you like it on all the time, then the Deluxe would just be a little annoying because not only does it take up more space, but you'd always have that little LED on the boost side ON, even when the pedal is OFF, since you'd always have it in boost mode (and yes, the boost LED will stay on all the time, even when the pedal is off/bypassed).
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your insights! DraggAmps, if I want the classic Brown sound that the Pinnacle is known to produce, would you typically have the boost on or off when specifically shooting for the classic EVH sound and perhaps using your volume knob for cleaning up?

Trending Topics