• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

PIO caps vs. cheap ceramic caps

VintagePlayerStrat

Silver Supporting Member
There's only one legit answer: PIO so my old eyes can see them better and my fat fingers can more easily pick them up. Let's not even get into soldering.

-Mark
I agree with this. Plus, for some very nerdy, nonsensical, reason I like knowing some old Vitamin Q or Russian made PIO is under the hood of my guitar. Nobody will ever see it, and yes, shhhh, only the value matters, but I suppose I like the idea of utilizing old, otherwise obsolete, components when I can.

There comes a point where you have to actually hear something for yourself to decide on such things. In this instance IMO , you'll be listening for very long time if you want to hear differences. Signal caps have a cumulative effect. Change all the signal caps in your amp to ceramic, mylar, oil..whatever and then you'll hear a difference. Some people do actually hear differences in any case - some don't. Some people merely think they hear differences, which is in all practicality the same thing.

teleluvver

Several years ago I had a Tele built (that is still my #1). When I got it, it was about 90% where I wanted it on tone, but it wasn’t open and airy sounding enough. I changed pickups and it was about 99% there. I peaked inside and it had a “NOS” PIO; I took it out and soldered in a plain old .022 ceramic from Radio Shack and BAM! There it was.

VintagePlayerStrat

Silver Supporting Member
Several years ago I had a Tele built (that is still my #1). When I got it, it was about 90% where I wanted it on tone, but it wasn’t open and airy sounding enough. I changed pickups and it was about 99% there. I peaked inside and it had a “NOS” PIO; I took it out and soldered in a plain old .022 ceramic from Radio Shack and BAM! There it was.
Are you sure it wasn't a .022 percent difference? ; )

GT40

I don't use my tone controls enough to care about their composition of the capacitor used to roll off the top end. For those that do care, more power to you.
I'm in the same boat, I've never had the pick guard or control covers off my guitars. Don't know what's in there.

David B

Silver Supporting Member
Forget electronics, science or physics (whatever), use the one that makes you feel inspired. It's in a compartment that nobody has reason to see, so no need to explain your proclivities.

Trending Topics