Pissed off with my 5150 III #%&/!

fechart

These days I'm very frustrated with my 50 watter head. I have two 212 cabs, a TC G System, some pedals and 3 guitars. I can't dial a good tone without hearing fizz. I swapped two of the G12h30 s in the cabs for two V30s, I tried eqing the tone with the G System para eq, previously I did the same with my MXR 10-Band with poor results. I even used a spectrum analizer to see which freqs are the ones to cut.

I think I have to let it go... The amp is not for me. Modern, fizzy even with the presence control at 9 o'clock.

But it's worse than that... I leave in Uruguay, little crappy country where you don't have access to many many brands... And if you order, you have to pay customs a 60 per cent of the price... No Friedman, Bogner, nothing. Just Marshall, Fender and Laney.

If I had the money I would order a Bogner Ecstasy 20th or 102 B and sell the damned EVH.

Anyway, this was my anger attack. Sorry to bother...

Cheers

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
No bother. I would turn off the presence control completely. Depending on how much gain you use, dial back the volume on your guitar and pump up the gain to taste. I typically run my guitars between 4 and 8. Your settings may vary depending on your guitar electronics. One of the first things I mess with, with regard to tone shaping is guitar electronics. Even before pickup swaps.

Ilduce

And now for something completely different!
That's really strange. I tried one in the store with a matching 2x12 and thought it sounded fantastic. Maybe yours has a issue? At any rate I sincerely hope that it works out for you! Good luck!

Kyle Ashley

Silver Supporting Member
I have Ecstasys that I bought in the 90s to get away from fizz and they definitely don't fizz. But, I've never been able to bond too well with Celestions due to the fizzy rasp. I spent many years with EVM12Ls and was happy, but the weight became an issue when I got old. Maybe look into the new Celestion A-types. I use them in a few amps where fizz was a concern, and I really like them!

markstullkc

Have you tried rolling tubes? I had a Marshall 1959 SLP that was fizzy at lower volumes (it has the PPIMV)

The culprit was the phase inverter tube.

Another trick, crank the master and use the preamp control as your volume. Shant fizz much then perhaps...

marshall2553

Try it with Greenbacks or Creambacks. I run mine through V30s and G12H30s too, sounds much less modern and fizzy through Creambacks.

yell03

I run mine through a Orange PPC112 1x12 cab with a V30, not fizzy.
Try keeping the gain at 8-9 o'clock, it will still be plenty, that is what I do.
On the Blue channel I can run it up to noon - 2 o'clock and no fizz. Keep the presence at 9 o'clock or less.
Treble at 10-11 o'clock.
I won't say it is an organic spongy amp, but it is not fizzy.

fechart

Thanks guys, I think I have to stay away from it for a couple of days... Been tweaking too much lately.

I'll keep in touch

Matt L

I finally got rid of mine. It served me well for about 6 months of gigging during a busy summer, but I really only used Ch.1. The blue channel was decent, but unusable because of the jump. I never liked the red channel. A-B'd against my Mesa, and it was all over. Not even close. Great package, and about 80% towards being a killer amp. If they tweak a few things, it could be awesome.

Speeddemon

Really, put a more smooth sounding tube in V1, for instance RFT (NOS from Germany).
Then try some 5751 tubes in the red channel (V2, V3 and V4) to tame it a bit, both gain and fizz wise.

And thirdly, choose good speakers;
Celestion G12H30 55Hz
Celestion G12-65 (Not the Creamback!)
Celestion Classic Lead 80

These are all speakers that do not add fizz, but actually mellow it a bit.

fechart

I'm back thanks God! Me ears work better now :aok. It's just that I was tweaking too much, let's say... Cutting too much! The para eq in a DAW is not the same as one within pre-guitar speakers. I learned that. So I went subtle on my settings and found an awesome tone. YES, if you turn off the eq you find the tone fizzy and thin. But not a huge difference. :banana

marshall2553

I'm back thanks God! Me ears work better now :aok. It's just that I was tweaking too much, let's say... Cutting too much! The para eq in a DAW is not the same as one within pre-guitar speakers. I learned that. So I went subtle on my settings and found an awesome tone. YES, if you turn off the eq you find the tone fizzy and thin. But not a huge difference. :banana
Good to hear. I've been through a bunch of Marshalls and currently have a couple of Friedmans, still love the 5150 III 50W. It's a great rock/metal amp.

trower

[geer/peyj] hubris confusion paralysis by analysis
Gold Supporting Member
Have you tried rolling tubes? I had a Marshall 1959 SLP that was fizzy at lower volumes (it has the PPIMV)

The culprit was the phase inverter tube.

Another trick, crank the master and use the preamp control as your volume. Shant fizz much then perhaps...
I was gonna suggest this. I made a change in my Marshall and that did it. Much rounder and controlled. Hope you can get tubes?

Hammered

Silver Supporting Member
A little late here but as mentioned in post #14 a RFT 12AX7 works really good in V1 , there a bit pricey and tough to find other than eBay. I would highly recommend trying a Sovtek 12AX7 LPS in V2 , for me that tube really mellowed out the red channel. I can crank up the gain a bit more and that fuzzy ratty gain sound is nowhere to be found and the channel sounds fatter/rounder

Last edited:

Trending Topics