Pitbulls

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Gumbygreeneye, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Gumbygreeneye

Gumbygreeneye Member

A couple of months ago my lovely Maine Coon cat, Titan was found dead. I ideated about getting a puppy and initially was after a Mastiff puppy but after looking on Trade Me at the SPCA sales I saw 12 week old Luna and knew she was the one. She's actually the fourth dog we've had but the first puppy.

She is the brightest, most intelligent and gentle thing with a sparkly happy personality and really helped me with a depression I fell into.

She was the best behaved and trained at puppy preschool.

Got the genetic test today and she is an American Stafforshire/Staffordshire cross.

She is already a firm member of the family and we all love her so much we've agreed that we're going to carry on and always get pit bull rescues. this breed has a bad rap.

-alex, KeLynne, steve13281 and 21 others like this.
  2. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched

Agreed. If more good people took good care of pitbulls they may be able to shake the stigma.

3. wilblee

wilblee Hack sans shame Gold Supporting Member

I was so anti-pit, until my son moved back in and brought his. What a great dog. Easily the friendliest, most obedient and most affectionate dog I've ever lived with (in 59 years, from the cradle on, I've never been without a dog). When I think of the mistreatment it would require to make this dog vicious... There are some evil sumbitches in this world.

4. S.W.Erdnase

S.W.Erdnase Supporting Member

Statistically the most dangerous breed. I think they can make fine pets but the owners should be registered and undertake training. They should never, ever be left alone with children.

5. MR.K

MR.K Member

Cabella, she's my buddy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KeLynne, jawajt, Lucidology and 12 others like this.
  6. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Like with most dogs, knowing the breeder and what kind of dogs they produce is an important issue.

Temperament is a big deal in any breed. There are plenty of vicious, screw loose Chihuahuas out there, also.

OP, congrats on your new best friend.

7. Gumbygreeneye

Gumbygreeneye Member

My understanding was that the objective research put them no more likely to bite then other animals and that labs were more likely to bite.

The were called the nanny dog for years.

8. DrewH

DrewH Member

I've had my 5 yr old girl for 2 years now. She came from a complete hell hole. She had fleas so bad that her body was just caked in scabs and she had very little hair. She was seriously underweight. There was a tumor growing under the skin on her neck. I could go on and on about all the problems she had. It cost me quite a bit of money and year for the constant meds, surgery, etc but she is a healthy hyper girl now. She is also a 60 pound lap dog. I taught her to give paw but that translated into whacking me whenever she wants something. Her first 3 years were spent in a crate so she wasn't socialized. This results in issues with smaller dogs and animals at times. It is a lot better than it used to be as I get her out into public more and more. She is scared of men, which immediately tells me who the creep was that mistreated her. Shes still figuring out how to be a dog. She's taken to growling and barking for attention, not realizing that people misinterpret that as hostility. This is especially fun at the vet when she barks and scares the crap out of the techs. Even with some of her behavioral quirks, I wouldn't trade her for an original 59 les paul. She is the best. Pit Bulls are especially protective of their companions and homes. I never even lock the door anymore when I leave. I have no doubt that she'd give her life for me. As you can see, she claimed the chaise part of the sectional as her own.

[​IMG]

KeLynne, steve13281, jawajt and 20 others like this.
  9. Gumbygreeneye

Gumbygreeneye Member

She's a honey. Looks similar to Luna especially the wrinkly forehead!

10. Nurk2

Nurk2 "Ignore Everybody" ~Hugh MacLeod

This'll be good.

stratotastic, jdel77, AaeCee and 3 others like this.
  11. jtm622

jtm622 Member

Pit Bulls??? Well... here we go again...

candid_x, sanrico and deluxeman like this.
  12. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Hahaha, I have the exact same problem with my greyhound. On the up side, it gives me a good reason/reminder to keep his nails short...otherwise he's scratching me whenever dinner time rolls around.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  13. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I don't have a ton of experience with pits, but I have some good friends who have a teacup yorkie and a pitbull mix. The yorkie rules the roost. The pitbull has one of the sweetest personalities/disposition of any dog I've ever come across. They never took either dog to any training and the pit was rescued when it was 1-2 years old. My dog (some kind of beagle mix) was also rescued at 1-2 years old and I went to training for 4-5 years and the dog is still weary of strangers and dogs, although she gets along with people and most dogs she knows them. I think a lot of it is she is very high energy. She gets along with the pit great because he is so passive.

The pits biggest issues are he's afraid of storms, has slight (non destructive) separation anxiety, and has prey drive for cats and lizards if let off leash. He really is a great dog.

14. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

They are what Labs were 20 years ago... everyone has one now. It's hip to have a pitty.

15. bassethound

bassethound Member

16. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

My nephew breeds a variety - American Bully. All of them have been sweet well behaved pooches. Big and strong for sure.

Gumbygreeneye likes this.
  17. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

Good looking critters guys.

Gumbygreeneye likes this.
  18. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

But when a Chihuahua attacks, the consequences are much less severe. And you don't need a break stick to get him to release his grip.
    It bothers me when I see a person that struggles to control their dogs movement. If you don't have the strength to stop your dog with one hand on the leash, get a smaller dog. And very few of the dogs I see are trained well enough not to pull on the leash.
    No one can guarantee their dog won't attack another dog. And you can't guarantee your dog won't get loose.
    None of this is the fault of the breed. But why choose a breed that puts you at such risk if something does happen?

19. Nurk2

Nurk2 "Ignore Everybody" ~Hugh MacLeod

You go! Tell it!

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  20. tonyhay

tonyhay Supporting Member

Hmmm. So if a guinea pig bites with the same frequency as an alligator, they're equally safe as pets.

In other words the 'objective research' you're referencing seems to ignore the likely severity of the bite.