• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Pitch sounds while tapping... Eventide Timefactor vs. TC Nova Delay

radcliff

When I'm using my presets and an external switch for tap tempo, whenever I tap in a new tempo, the delayed sound does this pitch shifting effect for a second or two as the delayed notes adjust to the new delay time....

Eventide responded with this:
Regardless if you are using the tap directly from the TimeFactor or from an auxiliary switch, the pitch effect you hear is on purpose. However this effect is only applied to the following algorithms: Vintage Delay, TapeEcho, and ModDelay. The purpose of this effect is to simulate what happens on their real life counterparts when you change the delay time while actively passing audio through. Pressing bypass and then active again clears up any lingering pitch shifting.
Question:
Does the Nova delay do this same pitch shift sound? It makes it real hard to update your delay to a drummer without making a distracting out of tune sound in the background, and even worse if you have a song that keeps the same preset but changes delay timing complete, big wosh of pitch correction....

musickbox

Silver Supporting Member
Nope. :D

I actually like that idea of pitch shifting in theory but ultimately would be distracting to me.

g-nem

Sounds like you can just use a different delay algorithim if you don't like the pitch-shifting sound. Sounds like a pretty reasonable way for eventide to address this problem- have you tried using a different delay algorithm?

radcliff

I am using different delays for my long tapped delays.....I suggested that maybe they make this pitch shifting thing a feature that can be turned off.

We'll see how the design team takes it....

JohnLutz

Gold Supporting Member
Here's what I found with the pedals I've tried...

Memory Lane - very noticable
Replica - delay cuts out while tapping
Echo Park - sometimes stutters but no pitch bending
DD-20 - least noticable tapping

John

radcliff

I think the DL4 falls into the "stutter" camp

While most of the algorithms on the TF are like the DD20, except for those 3 that act like the Memory Lane....but the less repeats, the less noticeable of course.

g-nem

John
This is a very useful list- maybe we should start a new thread focusing on this?

BTW I'm using a DD20 at the moment and I have found NO problems tapping different tempos. Also I have a DOD D12 rackmount that has no glitches when taping tempo.

Angle Loss

I don't care for it either. My Echoczar being analog had a pitch shifted sound as all analog pedals will, but it had controls for how long you wanted to shift between delay times--very purposeful though not useful for me. I wish they would put it as maybe a global option in the systems menu to be able to turn it off, or for those who enjoy it have it on every patch.

I think it is useful for special effects such as changing delay time with a continuous controller and for run-away oscillation (a must!) but not for tap tempo. I don't know how hard it would be to seperate it to be like this:

delay time knob: pitch shifts as knob is moved like analog delays
c.controller: same as knob for special effects
tap tempo: no pitch shifting, just allow time of next repeat to be changed.

Maybe we should add this to the wish list thread for the software upgrades on the Time Factor?

radcliff

I added it to the "wishlist", and they noted it as a relevant request. I tried to separate my request into sections as you have it in your post.

I completely agree with how youve separated it.

It may be helpful if you sent the request as well.....in case they are going off request volume to determine what changes get implemented.

thisfire

John
I'll second that. The Memory Lane is extremely noticible when shifting tempos with the tap...I love the way it sounds though!

Trending Topics