Pitch Vibrato... What are some good options?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tinkercity, Mar 1, 2015.

1. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Important note... I just sold a Boss VB-2. I had it for some time and while I dug it and can certainly imagine getting another for a studio board, I've found I want some tones that are more organic in the clarity of the guitar's voice --- basically I want some great haunting pitch vibrato tones that let's the guitar's voice shine though.

I just picked up a T.C. Electronics Mini Shaker and have been messing with some tones... just not sure it's the right choice. I do love the small size :) Anyone have TonePrints they love?

I'm looking for spooky, huge, organic and the ability to let the guitar's voice shine through more-so than the VB-2 did.

For example... the Vibrato mode on the Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe tracks really well on the guitar's notes and lets the tone and feel come through really well -- even at very effected settings. The RM VV is just too much and too big for my purpose on this board.

2. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I hear the Diamond Vibrato is great.

3. sws2h

sws2h Supporting Member

Bigfoot Magnavibe

4. straightblues

straightblues Member

Lovepedal has a new one out called the Vibronaut. Early review are good.

I justed order a Magnavibe clone.

5. tinkercity

Which Magnavibe clone?

6. THiwaTT

THiwaTT Member

I also had a Behringer - and thought it was fantastically lo-fi and chewy - swampy somehow, but very hissy regardless of power supply/guitar/amps/signal chain, etc which led me to return it (within 3 days of receiving it) with the Diamond

The Diamond is head and shoulders above the Behringer in terms of build quality, usability, and sound - but it is a much more "hifi" sounding vibrato - and sometimes I feel it lacks that lo-fi swampy goodness that the Behringer had in spades.

If you are looking for something that can let the guitar shine through more, I can almost guarantee that the Diamond will make you very happy; it is a fantastic pedal and I can't see it ever getting kicked off of my board

7. archtop

archtop Member

8. Ev O)))

Ev O))) Member

this

9. axdxm

axdxm Silver Supporting Member

It is.

10. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

While this pedal is fantastic - the OP specifically stated he wants the guitar's tone to come through. The WV fails at that. It's meant to be dark, analog-y and chewy, and it does that better than anything. But it's not so true to the guitar's original tone.

11. bratch

bratch Member

The best thing to do would be to get a univibe clone that offers the vibrato mode. My fulltone sounds great. It's a better pitch vibrato sound than a bbd or digital pedal.

Mxr, fulltone, eqd, on up to the pricey ones.

12. tinkercity

I do have a KR big box MegaVibe. The vibrato is nice but I still want something a little different toned than the Uni vibe vibrato.

The Magnatone clones seem to be the sweetest. While still remaining true to the original tone.

Looking at the Maggie and the Magnavibe.

Fwiw --- the vb-2 was killer but I always felt that it was too chorus like at times especially when used with dirt.

I'm loving these swampy Pops Staples tones... Which I assume is the Magnatone.

13. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

I think the Boss CE-1 is the voice of God. It has warts like, it doesn't like high output p/us, it's expensive and it's not true bypass but put it in a loop and get lost in the best vibrato and chorus I've ever heard.

14. straightblues

straightblues Member

It is one that popped up on Reverb. It is made by a company called Enlightenment Audio. I have seen two or three from the over the past few months so I decided to try one. I should get it mid week. I will report back if it is good. There are plans on line you can find for it if you have the skills to build your own.

15. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

This. I feel the VB-2 is quite 'transparent' compared to the Warped Vinyl. Both amazing in their own rights though

16. jawajt

jawajt Member

No mention of the Malekko yet? Personally, that's my favorite dedicated pitch vibrato pedal. It uses NOS chips and is tiny. Also, I'd recommend a good chorus pedal with a mix knob, like the Catalinbread Callisto. I got excellent vibrato sounds out of that pedal.

17. DRS

DRS Member

Another thumbs up for the Diamond Vibrato.

18. V

V Vendor

I use the Mobius for Vibrato all the time. Just turn the chorus to 100% wet and you're all set (and it can sound quite true to the original tone).

The vibrato on this little demo is my Mobius "Fripp" patch (a fast and pretty shallow 100% wet vibrato):

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/cjmventer/dancing-in-circles-guitar-demo[/SOUNDCLOUD]

It's also got a timeline, bigsky, and deco on there, though for extra magicalness ha ha.

19. Benny

Benny Gold Supporting Member

I like the EH Tube Wiggler, especially with the different "voices" of the vibrato. Mine is not particularly pedalboard friendly (has a power adapter with an odd-shaped terminal), but it sounds good and works well.

20. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Just an FYI - there is a VB-2 setting on the Mobius! I love it!