• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Pitchblack problem

iowa

Corn fed basement hack
Silver Supporting Member
Hope someone can help me. I bought a Pitchblack tuner off Craigslist recently. It looked mint, and worked well for about a month. it is a big step up from my dt-10.
Now when I tune up, once I get to pitch, the bypass shuts off. I have to hit the switch and turn it off and then back on to tune the next string. It started with B and now is happening on the G string too. I'm using a 1 Spot to power it.
I'm not in warranty and Korg USA says they can't help, but maybe an authorized service center can help. The closest is 100 miles away and there's no guarantee they can do anything.
I'm hoping that someone here will have an idea how to I can fix it.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

astainback

buy new one at GC, take out of box and put on pedal board, put the broken one in box, return to GC for refund.
It is deceptive and dishonest CRAP like this that gives me the OCD that I have about buying new items.
When I buy something NEW, I hate it when it looks used. My fiance bought me an RC-2 last year that was clearly a return and had a hum issue.
I had to take that back. Musicians friend sent me a pedal a few years ago that was slightly used.
Please, don't do what this guy suggested. I know it is tempting, but some honest and polite talking with the Korg support team will probably get you a new pedal or a free repair. If you tried Korg alreay, try again. If you get the we can't help you answer, either ask for a manager, or try again. Or, skip tech support and go for customer support. Or vice-versa. If you need any help dealing with customer support, let me know via PM and I can try to help you out.

charmboy

It is deceptive and dishonest CRAP like this that gives me the OCD that I have about buying new items.
When I buy something NEW, I hate it when it looks used. My fiance bought me an RC-2 last year that was clearly a return and had a hum issue.
I had to take that back. Musicians friend sent me a pedal a few years ago that was slightly used.
Please, don't do what this guy suggested. I know it is tempting, but some honest and polite talking with the Korg support team will probably get you a new pedal or a free repair. If you tried Korg alreay, try again. If you get the we can't help you answer, either ask for a manager, or try again. Or, skip tech support and go for customer support. Or vice-versa. If you need any help dealing with customer support, let me know via PM and I can try to help you out.
Can't help but second this opinion and suggestions.

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
I had the same problem. Then I replaced the battery and it worked fine. Might want to check the battery. The bad news is it happened during a show and I didn't know what to do. As soon as I replaced the battery it was fine. But it didn't really give me any indication (that I saw) that the battery was going.

Tommy Tourbus

well, if GC puts a returned-as-defective unit back on the shelf it's on them. Ideally, they would send it back to Korg for a credit.

But hey, if you guys like being the ones that get f***ed in life, more power to you ;)

sub rosa

buy new one at GC, take out of box and put on pedal board, put the broken one in box, return to GC for refund.
well, if GC puts a returned-as-defective unit back on the shelf it's on them. Ideally, they would send it back to Korg for a credit.

But hey, if you guys like being the ones that get f***ed in life, more power to you ;)
Unbelievable. This is no better than walking into the store and stealing a unit off the shelf.

charmboy

Maybe the case if your Mantra is F*** or be F***ed...

I choose to live life a bit differently myself.

dksouthpaw

i had a similar problem with my planet waves tuner. i'd have to unplug it and plug it back in.

even though the one spot has like 1700ma or whatever going on my tuner still was getting persnickity with where it was in getting the power. i had no problems when it was the first pedal from the plug. but when i rearranged and it was last - oh boy it wasn't happy. i'd get it to work for 30 seconds and then it'd turn off.

so maybe make sure its first in line from the plug? also if you dont have a battery in the battery clip. wrap some electric tape around the plug to make sure its not shorting the pedal.

guitardr

1. Korg tells you that the original battery they give you won't last too long: change it right now and notice an improvement.
  2. Even if you pulled a switcheroo with GC: most clerks/salespeople will check the item's serial number & that's not worth the hassle. It will come back & bite you.
  3. Honesty is the best policy, even when dealing with a horsecrap chain like GC anyway.
  4. If it still doesn't work, ship it to the nearest repair center.
Isn't one person's kharma another person's dharma? :YinYang

Axekisser

A little off track but recently I bought a Hardwire Reveb from the local mom & pop. I noticed it would turn itself on and off, especially when it was a bit cold. I returned it and of course because the shop was warm it worked fine. They said they would order a replacement though they didn't think it was defective (why would I lie?).

A week later I called to see if the unit came in, they said yep. I took the drive and low and behold the unit that came "in" was the one I returned. They put it back on the shelf! I cancelled the order and got my money back. I'm sure they just put it back on the shelf again. They admitted to me that they didn't order the replacement and were totally dishonest. Sometimes the shop owners are more dishonest than the customers!

Last edited:

SoCalSteve

Hope someone can help me. I bought a Pitchblack tuner off Craigslist recently. It looked mint, and worked well for about a month. it is a big step up from my dt-10.
Now when I tune up, once I get to pitch, the bypass shuts off. I have to hit the switch and turn it off and then back on to tune the next string. It started with B and now is happening on the G string too. I'm using a 1 Spot to power it.
I'm not in warranty and Korg USA says they can't help, but maybe an authorized service center can help. The closest is 100 miles away and there's no guarantee they can do anything.
I'm hoping that someone here will have an idea how to I can fix it.
Thanks in advance.
I use a 1-spot as well and have no issues with my Pitchblack. Great friggin' tuner. Maybe it's just the switch?

iowa

Corn fed basement hack
Silver Supporting Member
Thanks all,
I'll give a new battery a try.
I WON'T be trying to pull a fast one on GC or any other retailer. It just ain't right.

iowa

Corn fed basement hack
Silver Supporting Member
Here's the solution. Apparently even with a power supply connected if your battery starts to go dead, the Pitchblack will act weird.
I pulled the battery out and now it works great again.
Thanks for the help folks.

charmboy

yeah, I've noticed weird behavior where I put in a fresh battery but ran it off of my pedal power. Then when I pulled it off for a quick small gig where I just brought a fuzz and my tuner, the battery was dead. I think there might be a flaw where it doesn't disconnect the battery when you plug it into an external source. Anybody else notice this?

I love my pitchblack and have been singing it's praises around here since day 1, but as somebody who often needs to pull pedals off my board and go, I consider this a pretty major flaw. I should ad that mine wasn't purchased brand new either.

Trending Topics