Pitchblack vs Turbo Tuner

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DaBlizzardofOz, Jun 12, 2008.

1. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

I know the Pitchblack is the new popular tuner now, but is everyone gonna start ditching them once the new Turbo Tuners start shipping? Aside from being $30 cheaper, is there really any advantage to the Korg? I wanted to pick one up, but now it just seems like I should wait for July & get the ST-2.

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I have no reason to ditch my Pitch Black it works great I also like the slick black look of it too!........no turbo tuner for me!

3. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Advantages of the Korg: it's a tiny bit smaller.
    And, some may prefer the aesthetic of one over the other.

I have a DT-10 that's been a holdover for me since my StroboStomp2 died, and I'll tell you I can't wait for the new Turbo Tuner. Just my opinion, after kinda sorta owning both in a way (I have a DT-10 and an ST-122). The DT-10 has the same +/- 1.0 cent accuracy as the Pitchblack and it just doesn't get things in tune by itself... I have to tune by ear after tuning with it. The DT-10 also locks on to notes and responds to changes in pitch much more slowly than my tabletop Turbo Tuner (ST-122). It's at the point where I'm tuning with my ST-122 now, then plugging in, rather than using the Korg at all.

-Ben

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  4. Sikor

Sikor Member

Pitchblack :AOK

5. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Where can you buy a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-2?

6. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

You can't yet ;) . You can only buy the tabletop version, the ST-122 at the moment. The stompbox version... which is currently called the ST-2 but that may change... is due out in the middle of July (16th or 17th). Same engine / same accuracy as the tabletop version though which is why I'm really looking forward to it.

Info here:

http://www.turbo-tuner.com/index.htm

And here's the video of the ST-122 in action so you can get an idea of how the tuner works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi110ixOfk0

-Ben

7. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Do you like it better than the Strobo Stomp Ben?

8. eleanor296

eleanor296 Member

if you're in it for accuracy.... real strobe is the way to go. Also I think it's way easier to tune that way once you get used to it. Well worth the money IMO.

9. JVania

JVania Member

Can't wait to see where this goes because I'm looking to replace my DT-10 with one of these....:munch

10. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I've had a Peterson VS-II as well as a SS1 and SS2 and I can say that yes, I do like the Turbo Tuner better. For one, it's smaller and much more portable. Secondly with the tabletop unit, I can navigate its features more quickly because of the layout. Thirdly, it locks on to notes faster than any of the Peterson units did, and seems to respond much more quickly and accurately. For instance, it doesn't get 'jumpy' like the SS sometimes did with certain strings at certain times.

FYI, the Turbo Tuner is a real strobe - not a virtual strobe like the Peterson.

- Ben

11. eleanor296

eleanor296 Member

Yup, exactly. (Isn't that what I said?)
    Anyway, thanks a lot for chiming in :D

12. serviviente7

serviviente7 Supporting Member

I will get a turbo tuner as soon as it hits the market. I was gasing for a peterson but not anymore. Turbo tuner is the sh__! n'uff said.

13. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Sorry - it wasn't clear what you were referring to when I read your post!
    If you want some more info as well, you can check the thread I started in April on the new Turbo Tuner here:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=386045

-Ben

14. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I don't get the question here? I am used to my SS1 (three years strong!) and anything less than that level of accuracy is unacceptable for me, at LEAST for intonating though I love it for stage use as well. If I had to replace it with one of the two, the ST-2 would take the cake hands down

YSMV (your standards may vary), of course