Pittsburgh, worth visiting?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by circle_o_5ths, Jul 18, 2016.

1. circle_o_5ths

circle_o_5ths Member

Have an opportunity to visit Pittsburgh for a few days, is it worth the effort? Trip Advisor doesn't make it look that great.

2. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Member

Kinda depends what you're into. Some decent (but not great) breweries and brewpubs (I definitely recommend hitting Church Brewworks for the visuals alone!), a few historical and museum things to check out (Andy Warhol museum, Carnegie art & natural history museums).

Fallingwater is about 1.5 hours or so outside the city.

If you're into gardening the Phipps Conservatory is really nice. If you're into baseball hopefully the Pirates will be in town, I hear PNC Park is one of the better ones (I haven't been yet).

Will say: just avoid Primanti's. Maybe those sammiches were good at some point in time, but not now. Wholly and completely overrated in every possible way.

Oh, and if you're in someone's house you might get to see a Pittsburgh toilet (a bizarre local thing where they put a toilet in the basement... not a bathroom, mind you, but just a toilet, out in the open.

3. Slackerprince

Slackerprince Member

I learned something today:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_toilet

S

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

They have those in Rochester NY, too.

BrewDrinkRepeat likes this.
  5. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

That's worth the trip all by itself. Maybe @gigs conducts tours of his...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  6. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

That all depends on your interests. IMHO, Pittsburgh is a great city to live in, but it isn't the most exciting city to visit unless you're into the few specific things that it has to offer for tourists.

7. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

North Shore - check out the Andy Warhol Museum, take in a game at PNC Park, plenty of local eateries on that stretch.

For the "hipster" culture and breweries - take a tour of the Lawrenceville section of town (Church Brew Works is there as is Full Pint Brewing) and Wigle Whiskey, from there, venture south to the Strip District - killer place to have some food, shop, take in the buzz of PGH and have a Primanti's sammich.

Point State Park is kinda neat and definitely a trip to Falling Water - I love FLW.

Venture to the South Side and Station Square - more social places, especially the south side.

Oh - N Stuff Music in Blawnox, Guitar Gallery in Cannonsburg and Acoustic Music Works in Squirrel Hill

Jignant, flantrax and BrewDrinkRepeat like this.
  8. Yossi

Yossi Member

I'm a third generation Pittsburgher. Sure is a good place to visit!

Jignant and BrewDrinkRepeat like this.
  9. cmerch

cmerch Supporting Member

Don't bring your daughter or wife anywhere near Big Ben Roethlisberger and you should have a fine time.
    Probably shouldn't bring your mom around him either.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    centuryx3, MrSteve, keiths and 5 others like this.
  10. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

Another vote for Fallingwater. Frank Lloyd Wright did not employ the Pittsburgh toilet.

standard24 and BrewDrinkRepeat like this.
  11. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy Member

We have them in Erie, as well.

12. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Not a bad town. You'll have to like driving on hilly areas. Downtown area is pretty cool, but other than that it's an area with a lot of hills.

13. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Member

One other weird thing, that happened to us and I've heard others say it as well: if you have a GPS it might freak out in and around the 'burgh. Not sure what causes it, but our Garmin did NOT like Pittsburgh at all; at times it would show us driving off-road, in a direction we were not heading in, and it constantly recalculated the route. All maps and OS were up-to-date at the time (2010 was the last time we were out there). Very strange.

Next time we're out there I'll see if Waze does the same thing.

14. Phil Harmoneeek

Phil Harmoneeek Member

I went last year from Canada (Toronto area) & really enjoyed it ... yes, the streets are crazy in the outskirts of downtown ... all of the comments above are good ... make sure you check out the Bicycle Museum (Bicycle Heaven) ... very cool.

15. eddie famine

eddie famine Member

When I first moved here I found the same thing, wild navigation freak outs. I even tried 2 nav's , same car same destination, different routes.

16. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

Gotta check the "Dirty O" if you have a cast iron stomach.

flantrax and BrewDrinkRepeat like this.
  17. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

Yes. Worth driving in? Questionable.

stormtrooper likes this.
  18. Schroedinger

Schroedinger Member

Grew up there, have family there, and love the city. It has come a long away in the last 10 years, and there are lots of good restaurants and cool neighborhoods.

As a cool place to have a fun weekend for an out-of-towner? It wouldn't be my first choice, honestly. You can have plenty of fun, but you have to dig around a little bit.

19. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Pittsburgh is an amazing city ... you just have to know where to go. Great food, good music stores, the river walk is cool ... check out bicycle Heaven even if you're not into bikes, it will blow your mind... Church brew works is good and good food. There is an amazing Japanese restaurant out in Wexford, great food, beer and tons of it!

EarleG and flantrax like this.
  20. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

They have these old book-like things called "Thomas Guides". Get one and try it sometime. You plan your route using it and drive to your destination. If you get lost on the way, just stop, pull over, figure out where you are and proceed from there. It's amazing how well they work...