Pittsburgh, worth visiting?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by circle_o_5ths, Jul 18, 2016.

1. TJNies

TJNies Supporting Member

I avoid the Parkways except during the slowest of periods. Especially coming in from the east, there are far too many entrance ramps, each adding 20% more volume.
    The even the long-timers seem to think they can't make it into those small openings called the Squirrel Hill Tunnel. Amazing when exiting, everyone is going 65 or more.

Chrome Dinette likes this.
  2. tms13pin

tms13pin Supporting Member

I like it here, especially with a family. Very affordable compared to other cities. I spent two years in Boston in grad school and it was a great place to be in my 20's, but every married person I knew there was still renting and the only way to afford a house was to move so far away from the city that you couldn't enjoy the city. As has already been pointed out, with have three major league sports franchises, top notch art/natural history museum, top notch symphony and other performing arts, top notch universities, and a city that is easy (comparatively) to get into and out of. I live in the 'burbs north of the city and it takes me a 1/2 hour to get to work every morning to the main university area which is just outside the city. The downtown itself is small because no one lives downtown, it's more of a business district. Most of the night life takes place in some pockets around the outskirts of the downtown area.

If you have kids, the schools are pretty good in the 'burbs, and you can travel 10-20 minutes north of where I am and there are family farms with fresh produce and organic meat not to mention fall harvest festivals galore. Yeah, the driving's a little nuts, but Boston was no better (though the public transportation was much better there).

Also, our houses have actual basements here for man caves (studios). When I lived in Tennessee, everything was built on a slab with a crawlspace because the ground is clay and rock. When I was offered a job in Chicago, the basements were all below the water line so they were all damp. It's nice to have the extra useable space.

If you're visiting, the best thing is to know someone to take you around to the interesting things and show you where in the city they're located. If you haven't been here since before 1980, the city is *totally* different now.

--Tom

gigs and Chrome Dinette like this.
  3. KissTone

KissTone Member

Your dad left in 43? Hell, it's changed considerably in just the last 15 years or so. Everyone is loving on us these days. We're hip, I guess. ;)

The NY Times and Wall St. Journal are always singing our praises. We're on all kinds of 'best this' and 'best that' lists.

The mills are long gone (though some of that 'mentality' lingers among older folks and those who look at a rose bush and see only thorns). The water and air are much cleaner. Google, Apple, Uber, Ford, Shell (oh, that 'cracker' plant), and even Hollywood keep throwing money at us.

Destination city? Maybe not. But really cool city just the same.

4. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

I live in Brookline, which is on the southern edge of the city, borders on Dormant, Mt Lebanon, Baldwin Township.

5. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Tonight, it is? ;)

6. teleguy1974

teleguy1974 Member

To me it was like Skyline in Cincinnati, worth trying to get a local flavor, but I'm not going back for it.

7. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

Primanti's is nothing special.

It's one of those things that had some notoriety back when there were only 2 or 3 locations and they had a sort of unique product. Now they are everywhere.

gigs likes this.
  8. TJNies

TJNies Supporting Member

I know Mt Lebo (lived there for a short time). Dormant? Auto-correct is hilarious sometimes...

9. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

I must have still been dormant when I typed that.

10. realmacaroni

realmacaroni Supporting Member

if you are a craft beer fan, you can make a whole trip out of just that

top of the list are dancing gnome in sharpsburg and grist house in millvale

11. Resonance7

Resonance7 Member

''Yinz goin' dahn tahn n 'at?''

Translates to: Are you all going downtown, and to maybe some other places?

I love PGH.

Jignant, gigs and Chrome Dinette like this.
  12. tms13pin

tms13pin Supporting Member

I still like Primanti's, but you have to eat it there while it's fresh, it doesn't "take out" well. Kind of becomes a block of sludge by the time you eat it. I agree on the location thing, when I was in college the strip one was the only one in town, the one in Oakland opened up near the end of my college days, now they're opening up all over... one's going in where I live in Hampton.

The Pittsburghese accent is much more a blue collar thing. Everyone here doesn't speak that way... same as in Bahstahn...not everyone had that accent, which I found much more annoying than the Pittsburgh one. I'm born and raised here and I don't have it.

--Tom

13. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

I don't have the accent either.

If you haven't heard it:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Yossi and Laurence like this.
  14. TJNies

TJNies Supporting Member

Also, being in Brookline, I hope you visit Pitaland. They make the very best gyros (and fresh-made pitas) I have ever experienced!

15. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

I am within walking distance, frequently buy stuff there. I used to make my own hummus, but I never bother, with Pitaland there.

Las Palmas is also good when I want a taco and various other things.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  16. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

Yeah, when I was in college, there was the Strip location(with really weird hours), Oakland and the tiny one downtown on the side street that cuts through what used to be Kaufmans.

I eat at one maybe once every 5 years, generally order capicola.

17. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

NYT and WSJ do love that sort of stuff as if the make a new list every week, Philly they claim is cool, enough to be a new burb, BS I say. I have had about 45-50 yearsof experience with the place and yes it changed, but in my travels in the county and the city proper a lot of people got left out of the boom for all the bright shinning stuff there are a lot of places that missed it. If you live there you will know all the cool stuff, I get it I'm a booster for Philly even when it got NO praise.

My Aunt lives in NOLA and we went to the quarter just to say we did, the other stuff only locals know was far more fun. So I'm sure it's awesome if your a native, you have the time to spend and the ability to know the cool from kitsch, but honestly most big cities have the same stuff. If your going to visit a place go for a reason not to just visit, Nashville hit the Grand old Opry and Ghruns. Philly if you love French impressionist art, then come to the Barns, the biggest collection outside of the Louvre....but if you want to see bands or baseball and drink beer or walk in a park and eat local food ...stay home. Your local sandwich king is just as overrated as our tourist trap

18. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

I get to visit because that's our fly-in town to see the wife's family. We always spend some time in Pitt, walk around, eat, see a game depending on time of year. Been to Andy's museum. I like the town.

19. Yossi

Yossi Member

So where do all yinz go for the open mics in da Burgh n'at?

20. realmacaroni

realmacaroni Supporting Member

bloomfield bridge tavern
    club cafe
    couple in lawrenceville that escape me at the moment...