Pixies on Jimmy Fallon last night: After watching them.......

Stike

If you're talking about me, I'm no "die hard Govt Mule fan." Check my previous posts on TGP threads regarding them and you will see. However, I get your point. I played the Govt Mule song from Jimmy Fallon last night to the band, at least one of whom IS a "die hard Govt Mule fan" and they thought it sucked, especially Danny Louis' guitar solos. The bass player didn't like any of it....thought the bass player sounded like an amateur.....I decided I'd better not play the Pixies song for them. :idea
Not necessarily at you. In the 90s I worked in screen printing shop making tshirts. About half the crew were into Phish, The Dead, and anything jam bandish, Mule included. The others were mostly indie rock hipsters. We all had to share a stereo so I heard a lot of stuff I otherwise never would have heard-some I liked, some I did not. These two groups however as a rule hated each others selections and the hippies seemed to hate Surfer Rosa more than anything.

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
I didn't see it as a great performance, and I think the new songs are just OK. But the Pixies are truly an original and of the very best bands of my generation and of all time.

Frank Black is a genius songwriter.

Strato62

I just turned 51, and am only now just getting into the music of the Pixies. Great band that will stand the test of time. My older brother in law just started enjoying them, too.

Dumo

Silver Supporting Member
I didn't see it as a great performance, and I think the new songs are just OK. But the Pixies are truly an original and of the very best bands of my generation and of all time.

Frank Black is a genius songwriter.
Ditto. I'm glad Kim is doing the Breeders again anyway.

Cuthbert

I never got them, but I do understand that he's an original songwriter. Bowie and Thom Yorke dig him. Maybe one of these days I will get it.

jpastras

Silver Supporting Member
An original, and really great songwriter.

The correct record for TGP is the first Frank Black and the Catholics record. It is a live in the studio thing, featuring some of his best, most accessible songs, and unbelievably scorching guitar work by Lyle Workman - literally, some of the most inspired, beautiful guitar playing you will ever hear in any post-punk genre. So, you get fantastic songs, accessibility, and great songwriting.

My favorite solo record of his is SEVEN FINGERS.

erksin

An original, and really great songwriter.

The correct record for TGP is the first Frank Black and the Catholics record. It is a live in the studio thing, featuring some of his best, most accessible songs, and unbelievably scorching guitar work by Lyle Workman - literally, some of the most inspired, beautiful guitar playing you will ever hear in any post-punk genre. So, you get fantastic songs, accessibility, and great songwriting.
Yep. Too bad it's out of print - been looking for the CD forever and can't ever find it.

rwe333

Lyle Workman? Badass.

Francis Black/Pixies? I come & go.

Myriad good ideas, oft under-realized.
Missing articulation/intention/commitment (for me).

ShavenYak

I've been a Pixies fan since first hearing Doolittle. None of the new songs have really knocked my socks off, but I thought the performance on Fallon was fine. I will confess to having started with low expectations of a Deal-less Pixies but new Kim did a fantastic job both on the bass and backing vocals. I think if I were blind and didn't already know about the lineup change I probably wouldn't have even been able to tell.

I really hope Kim Deal is working on something of her own now, anyone heard anything?

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
I just turned 51, and am only now just getting into the music of the Pixies. Great band that will stand the test of time. My older brother in law just started enjoying them, too.
Congrats to you! I know a lot of people your age (which isn't that much older than me) who are so stuck in their own generation of music that they stopped looking for new things. It's their loss as there is a lot of great music in every generation of music.

"It's not as good as the stuff my generation did"-------whatever.......

People really have no clue how much great music they're missing out on. Their loss.

katydid

on another note, I'm completely unfamiliar with the Pixies, but you guys have me intrigued...

can someone recommend their top 5 songs to a newbie?

soli528

Silver Supporting Member
Joey's guitar sounded a bit flat (pitch-wise)... moreso than normal ;), especially on Indie Cindy, but overall, good to see some new music from these guys.