Pizza Dough Recipe?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by YYZ, Apr 27, 2016.

1. YYZ

YYZ Supporting Member

Talking about Napoli style pizza for Big Green Egg, etc. Not Tweedy's Poppin' Fresh recipe :waiting

I've done cold rise, room temp rise, knead, no knead. All Caputo, 50/50 Caputo/AP. Fresh yeast? Dry yeast? What yields the most consistent pies for you?

There's a school in LA that teaches Napoli style, but it's about $600 for an all day class.

Pizza likes this.
  2. mmolteratx

mmolteratx Member

This is what I've been using for the last year after a bunch of testing. Makes enough for about 4 large pizzas, so scale if you need to.

Biga:

106g 00 flour (Antimo Caputo, the stuff in the 1kg red bag)
    53g spring water
    0.5g yeast

Mix the ingredients to combine well, then leave dough ball in flour coated bowl covered with plastic wrap at room temp for 24 hours.

Dough:

Make each pizza individually, so do this four times.

226g 00 flour
    160g water
    6g salt
    1g yeast
    1g sugar
    1/4 of your biga

Put your flour, sugar and yeast in your mixing bowl. Whisk, then add 1/4 of your biga from above, followed by your water. Mix to combine, then allow to sit for ~15 minutes. Then add your salt and knead slightly. Place in olive oil coated bowl, then allow to rise for ~1 hour. After the rise is done, shape your dough, then let rise again for ~10 minutes.

To Cook:

First, put your steel (or stone, for you heathens who haven't converted) in your oven and allow to heat for ~1 hour (maybe less if you've got a decent oven) at 500F, or as hot as your oven can go.

Place shaped dough on aluminum foil (well floured!), then bake with no toppings for 2-3 minutes, until the dough starts to cook a bit on top. Pull the partially cooked dough out, then spread sauce and vegetables/meats on the dough. Cook for another 3 minutes on the foil. Then take it out, cover in cheese and bake for 3 minutes directly on the stone, or until the crust/cheese have browned to your liking.

3. muzishun

muzishun Member

4. Pizza

Pizza Member

What you guys talking bout? :confused:

:D

5. YYZ

YYZ Supporting Member

Don't you mean "wadda"?

Interesting about the biga. I see the point of giving time for the yeast to do its thing with minimal contact with salt.
    After the hour rise, do you mean shape the dough into the final pie? Seems like sticking to the surface would be a big problem if you let a formed pie rest for 10 minutes. On second read, I'm thinking you mean shape into a ball.

My egg is usually running at 650-750, so I think I can skip some of the oven steps. I also hear to lose the sugar when you're cooking above 600 or wood fired.

6. candh

candh Member

Flour tortilla shells...... . . . . Hey, at least I'm honest ya crusty fascists.

YYZ and aynirar27 like this.
  7. Turi

Turi Member

@Pizza how were you made?

sausagefingers and Jamalot like this.
  8. FFTT

FFTT Member

Flour tortilla, light coating of olive oil both sides.

9. Jamalot

Jamalot Member

My wife's recipe:

English muffin

Ragu brand sauce

Sliced American cheese

Sliced mushrooms

And she's half Italian!

I fondly refer to it as 'white trash pizza'

10. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

Theres a thing people make here, thats local as far as I know called "Garbage Bread".
    Its basically making a stromboli like you dont give a ****.
    Its delicious.

11. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

With NOS tubes and germaniun transistors.

Pizza and Turi like this.
  12. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

here is my go to pizza dough.. especially if I need it fast.. longer it sits out the better.. but I can have dough for stromboli, pepperoni bread and pizza in 30 minutes... I sometime triple this recipie and use a mixer

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 cups bread flour (all-purpose flour works too)
    • 3/4 teaspoon yeast (*see note below)
    • 3/4 teaspoon sugar
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • up to 2/3 cup warm water
    • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
    Instructions:

1. Place the flour, yeast, sugar & salt into a mixing bowl.
    2. Slowly add warm water and oil until dough forms a mass. (you may not need all the water)
    3. If using a stand mixer with a kneading paddle, knead until dough is smooth & elastic (1 - 2 minutes).
    4. If using a hand mixer or if mixing by hand with a spoon, combine and transfer dough to a floured surface. Knead 50 turns by hand (1 minute).
    5. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest 10 minutes.
    6. It’s ready. Use it to make my pepperoni pizza, bbq chicken pizza, or your own favorite.
    Note: You can use regular active yeast or instant yeast. Check the package for water temperature. Regular yeast requires water at 110° F while instant yeast works best with 120°.

13. Amplifier Owner

Amplifier Owner Member

14. TJNies

TJNies Supporting Member

I make my own pizza dough (which is also my foccacia bread recipe). I keep tinkering with it, since dough can require changes based on humidity etc.

The best one, if time permits, uses a biga. The longer you can allow this to ferment, the better the flavor. I have used a splash of light-body beer in the starter, which seems to jack up the fermentation process. And also allows me to reduce the yeast.

I add dried herbs to the crust mix too!:aok

playsarobin likes this.
  15. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

The best and most consistent pizza dough secret is the water used and then the
    subsequent rise time. I get my water from a upstate New York company ( I buy it locally in NC...).
    The Dough is made into a ball - not too sticky and not too dry - then I coat a stainless steel bowl
    with OliveOil - drop the ball into the bowl and cover it with saran wrap and place it on
    my Fireplace Mantel - which happens to be the most consistent warm spot in the house.
    I let it double in size - which is approximately an hour.

The secret to the best tasting - is the pizza oven using oak chucks to fire it.

16. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

I like Peter Reinhart's book American Pie, and this is my favorite dough recipe from it:

http://italianchef.com/neo-neopolitan-pizza-dough/

I often do it with some old dough mixed in that I've set aside, essentially as a biga. It freezes well as dough balls, too, for firing later. Works well for calzones, too, which I made last week:

[​IMG]

17. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

My wife uses a recipe which I can post later if anybody's interested. Like this post so I know you are.

One thing is that we have a Kenwood food processor which kneads the dough. The one thing I remember is her saying that it's crucial to monitor just how much water there is while it's being kneaded.

YYZ likes this.
  18. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

fantastic char!

19. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

Thanks!

I built a hybrid gas/wood oven, which has worked out well.

20. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

Recipe? Water, fresh yeast, flour (tipo '0'), and a bit of salt. Amounts depend on how dry the flour is, how big you want your puzzas, and how many.