Placed My DGT Order...

Put 20% down and ordered a cherry burst and birds. They quoted me a wait time of 6 - 9 months. I guess they're having a heluva time with that nitro finish...:rolleyes:

s2khawk

guess so, looks like prs has gone full on boutique with that wait time. I was wondering why I never see DGT's. Man I'm so jealous, right now it would be the only PRS I'd own and I want one, well you will get one hell of an early Xmas gift!!

Well, I HOPE it's early...

And I hope they do a traditional contoured burst like I've seen on the one DG is playing, not the Teardrop burst I've seen on some other advertised examples.

s2khawk

I would get a real person on the phone at the factory, supply some type of reference to your order, and ask very clearly and politely then clearly again, that you would prefer the contoured burst over the teardrop. Confirmation of specs would be nice too, but unlikely they'd mail you something. Just a thought.

grego7

has left the building
Platinum Supporting Member
Well, I HOPE it's early...

And I hope they do a traditional contoured burst like I've seen on the one DG is playing, not the Teardrop burst I've seen on some other advertised examples.
I called PRS with that specific question. Unless you ordered otherwise, the DGT is going to have the same burst pattern as the McCarty - which is the teardrop style. That burst looks good in person - better than the ones I've seen advertised: the horns look too dark, almost black (tobacco burst). But I agree with you, I like the traditional burst much more.

The rep told my dealer that they made them "exactly the way David likes them", but the vids I've seen of David playing the tobacco burst show a traditional burst pattern. The DGT advertised at Elderly has the less desirable teardrop burst:

So - does anybody out there know David well enough to ask him how he likes his burst?

See - here's a much better burst IMHO:

So - if this is David's preference, why would they market this guitar with a teardrop burst???

aaronbarnes

this is what I'm sayin!!!!

they sent a custom burst to GP magazine for them to give it a rave review and a two page spread......

I smell trouble...

I doubt there would even be a discussion if it were'nt for DG himself and that good looking burst splattered all over the internet.

Maybe they're trying to sell more goldtops????

I have to say, I like this a lot better than the cherry burst I posted above:

But grego is right - PRS will offer only a teardrop burst on the DGT, the McCartey, and the Singlecut, and will have the contour burst on Customs and 513s. How does everyone else here feel about the teardrop burst on a DGT?

grego7

has left the building
Platinum Supporting Member
Well IMHO I think that guitar DG is holding above looks absolutely fantastic. But I also think that the teardrop burst can look good. It just looks better to me with more similar colors making up the burst, so it's more subtle:

The DGT cherry burst looks really nice to me. The tobacco burst however looks like the colors are just too extreme and loses some of the cool burst vibe with the teardrop pattern.

aaronbarnes

I agree with Grego7 on the lighter shading looking better.......I think if the DGT were offered in McCarty Burst the burst shape issue would not be so polarized.

There's a poll over at Birds and Moons thats over 90% in favor of the custom burst over the teardrop.

I guess it's only fitting that DG's personal guitar is the best looking one on the planet and unobtainable for the rest of us.......

goldtop for me.

wichita

Mine looks great. I'm very happy with it.
Excuse the feet and the band photo. The top looks great on mine but more importantly it plays and sounds like a million bucks

aaronbarnes

wichita, yours is indeed very nice.

congratulations on what is sure to become a sought-after and rare occurance of an early production DGT with the contour burst. Destined to be a PRS collector's dream.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
I have a McCarty Trem in McCartyburst - and before I saw this thread I never even noticed which type of burst is has. It's got the teardrop -- which is fine by me. It looks great.

trisonic

The rep told my dealer that they made them "exactly the way David likes them", but the vids I've seen of David playing the tobacco burst show a traditional burst pattern. The DGT advertised at Elderly has the less desirable teardrop burst:

So - does anybody out there know David well enough to ask him how he likes his burst?
Well, I prefer that shape of burst - I had an old ES335 like that (but Tobacco) and black burst looks really nice to me like that. On Strats I like the two colour burst with almost everything black.
I guess I'm strange. Nice big toe, Lance......

Best, Pete.

Lance, that's beautiful - you're very lucky to have one with a contour burst, because it looks like it will be a rarity. A rep at PRS told me this:

Well I’ve had a couple of questions on this issue recently so I asked why we went with the teardrop instead of the contour burst used on the DGT prototypes? The answer was “David (Grissom) changed his mind and wanted the teardrop burst used on his model”.

So if David has changed his mind, maybe he'd trade me that gorgeous tobacco-burst for my teardrop burst?

Grego, I agree that the teardrop pattern looks great with that McCartey burst. I'm just going to have to decide between a burst and a Goldtop now. Keep the input coming, guys - might help tip the scales for me.

wichita

yeah mine is #7. I don't really know which is which to tell you the truth..
Im sort of new to the whole PRS thing.
I love the guitar though and am very happy to have it.

Trending Topics