Placement of Microbuffer, Bicomp, Tuner, volume?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trumpus, Oct 10, 2005.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Hey,

I recently received my Doobtone Microbuffer (akin to the VHT Valvulator) in the mail and was wondering where in my chain I should run it. I was told that it shouldn't go immediately before a true bypass effect, but most of my chain is...

Here's what I'm running (all connected by George L's):

Guitar > Teese RMC3 > Emma Discumbobulator > EH Small Stone > Alesis Nanocomp > Fulltone Fulldrive 2 > Amp

Effects Loop:
    Send > Fulltone Dejavibe > Boss DD-5 > Line 6 DL4 > Return

Additionally,

I just borrowed a bicomp from a buddy to see if i like it. Where in my rig should I run this, and what would the differences be, tonally, in different positions.

Another question - I just dug out an older Korg GT-3 tuner and want to put this in my rig. My volume pedal is a Boss FV-50L (i'd like to upgrade to an Ernie Ball Jr.) so i don't think it has a tuner out. I am planning on adding a true bypass loop with a tuner mute, but until then where should I put this tuner in the chain? I'd assume this tuner isn't TB - is it sucking tone? Am I better off without in my chain?

Finally - any suggestions to my overall effects placement would be much appreciated! I recently got back into playing, rewired my board, and am not completely happy with the overall chain.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. trumpus

Bumpity!

Thanks,
    Brian

3. eknapier

eknapier Member

I like to run my bicomp after my filter effects (wah, phase, filter) and before OD/Distortion. SO I would drop it in right where you have the Alesis. Some folks like it after their OD though, so I would experiment. Very flexible pedal, one of my faves for fattening up my tone. Depending on what guitar you are using, you might want to mess around with setting the internal attack pot. More to the right for humbuckers.

4. trumpus

I definately noticed the sharp attack when using it with 'buckers. I started by running it at the beginning of the chain (because it was the easiest) and realized that the attack was very sharp, as well as the click of the switch was very audible. I'm not sure if the audible click is a function of where in my chain it is, but it was quite annoying. I'll try some other combo's tonight...

Brian

5. eknapier

eknapier Member

I don't know what to tell you about the click. I sometimes notice a very audible click on some of my effects when I switch them on. For some reason, it seems to work best to turn all your effects on before you turn the amp on, then turn them all off. Then as you turn flip each of them on, there is no click. This is obviously a hack, but it works for me, I don't know if someone can explain why this is.

One of the coolest things I like about the bicomp, is that you can set one of the comps for light comping (ross side), at unity volume, and set the other (OS) to heavy volume for solo boosts. Running the OS at full throttle before an OD pedal yields some interesting results. One foot manuever turns one off and the other on. I definately use this pedal a number of different ways, sometimes with the OS as low volume and the Ross at high, experiment, play around with it. Best compressor out there for flexibility, IMO.

6. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

Hey Trumpus,
    I just purchased a DoobTone Microbuffer also. It should ship this week. I'm hoping that this will turn out to be a good buffer. Do you have any thoughts so far?

thanks
    chris

7. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Do you have a link for the Microbuffer? My search came up empty.

What was the reasoning behind this placement restriction? It doesn't make sense to me. I frequently use buffered effects before true bypass effects with no problem.

I tried the Valvulator with mixed results. The transformer creates a strong field that messes up wahs and such. A torroidal design would help but then you'd end up with a more expensive unit.

The Valvulator really opened up my PodXT. I think this is one of the main issues with modeling devices - they really don't deal with high impedance guitar signals all that well.

8. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

I actually found them on eBay. I wasn't able to find a website, but there are a few reviews on Harmony Central about the buffer and some Boss mods. I won the auction for right under $50.00, which seems to be the average price. Its smaller than the Axcess, so I'm hoping that I can mount this in between rails on my Pedal Train, out of the way of pedals. I don't plan on placing this before fuzzes, od, or wahs. The reason that I'm using a buffer, is to run true bypass pedals only.

9. trumpus

Double post!

Sorry - On a side note, Steve Dudley doesn't have a website. I first heard of the Microbuffer as a less expensive, handmade alternative to the VHT. His pedals were always up on eBay, and recently, when i decided I wanted one, they were't there anymore. I e-mailed him and he told me he was stopping for a while because of some other responsibilities he had to fulfill, but hopefully would get back into modding and building pedals again soon.

Brian

10. trumpus

Well, I got mine directly from Steve (Dudley, the maker, who has since stopped making them - this last batch will be it for a while). The first one came and when i hooked it up, i got a horrible buzzing/squealing noise, and no guitar sound. I emailed Steve and he immediately replaced the unit and reimbured me for return postage.

The new one came about a week ago and right now I am running it after my Teese, but before my EMMA. I had it before the Teese, but the TB switch was making an audible click, which it doesn't do now.

I can definately tell the difference with the buffer in my chain. It just gives the overall sound a nice, full, punch. It feels like a fuller signal is exiting my chain. I guess I can't describe it really well, but it makes a noticable difference to the quality of the sound, but not necessarily a change in tone!

Any ideas for the other effects placement?

Brian