Places to go in Okanagan Valley, BC?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Douglas Baines, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Douglas Baines

Douglas Baines Member

I'm going out to the OK Valley, British Columbia (Penticton mostly) next week for a family reunion and a bit of vacation... any cool shops to check out? Any nice builders?

and most importantly... any suppliers of sweet woods?

Take it easy,
    Doug
    :JAM

2. Nomadgtr

Nomadgtr Member

Well a few hundred miles away is Scott Heatley! He's up north of Vancouver, that might be a little far for you to go though. I'd be careful though, once you gaze upon his works you may just be overcome with GAS.

http://www.heatleyguitars.com/contact.html

3. Douglas Baines

Douglas Baines Member

I've seen pics of his stuff on here of course, but his shop is waaaay too far from where I'm gonna be. (...besides which, g.a.s. isn't much of a problem for me, I build my dream guitars :p)

That said... I can't get enough of looking at that burgundy 335-style he did with 3 P-90's!

4. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Scott is up north on Vancouver Island , which is a long drive and a 2 hour ferry ride away from the Okanagan. Ted (?) Thompson is up in Vernon , B.C.. He is a supremely talented flat top maker. There is tons of wood up there in them thar hills (the Okanagan really is a valley, but it gets mountainous and rough very quickly)... it'd be best to check on the net or in music stores in Penticton about spruce. Most places aren't set up to stop the sawmill production and run you off a couple of tops.
    Mostly, i'd just enjoy the trip. The valley is beautiful this time of year, with ripening fruit trees, clear, hot days, and safe ,warm lakes to boat on . Fishing can be excellent , too.

5. BigBone

BigBone Member

In Kelowna [ a 45min drive from penticton] there is a store called Robbie Browns guitar town. His web page says he carries Shur, Lado among other higher end guitars. I'm going to check him out myself when I go visit my daughter in July.

6. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

7. skookumz

skookumz Member

8. Douglas Baines

Douglas Baines Member

hahaha! Oh man, we go to Tickleberry's EVERY time we're out there! It is good. (We have family in OKV, so we come out every 4 or 5 years)

Thanks for all the links and stuff guys! Post more if you've got 'em... I don't leave till Sunday.

9. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Ha ha. I renovated a bit of Slack Alice's in the early 80s. while the girls worked. Production was slow. Grew up in Kelowna. Moved away in 85. As far as guitar stores go, there isn't much. Kelowna is a smallish town (100,000). Penticton is half of that. Expect semi arid conditions with temperatures in the 90+ range. The northern most tip if the Sonoran desert ends in Osoyoos, south of Penticton. Canada's only desert. Dunes, scorpions, etc. I've ridden a horse there. Didn't know it name. The best thing about the Okanagan valley is Lake Okanagan. 80 miles long, 1-3 miles wide. Deep, clean and warm. Sailing, water skiing, everything. Lots of great award winning wineries from Osoyoos (at the US border and north through Kelowna. There are lots of great hikes around too. There used to be a great hike along the old Kettle Valley railroad. 15 really high tressles in Myra Canyon. Those are the tressles you see in Charles Bronson's "Break Heart Pass." But sadly, they all burned up in a huge forest fire a few years ago. They are rebuilding them.

10. PaulS2

PaulS2 Member

Wow! Small world on the Gear Page.

When living in LA, years ago, we would bring the kids up to OK Falls and they would spend the summer's with grandma. Wonderful area in BC.

I was just out n Penticton over the weekend - nothing like the green lush OK Valley in the early summer!!:)

Robbie Brown's is a good place to check out. Got a Suhr and my two Bogner's from him - definitely a stand-up guy and great service.

11. doc2iron

doc2iron Member

12. emjee

emjee Member

Sooke's really a cool place...there was this super huge abandoned/unfinished hunting lodge we used to go and hang out up there. I have lived in Northern California
    for fourty years and never thought its beauty could be matched....until I went to Vancouver Island. Many world class acoustic and archtop makers
    up there. In fact in Victoria there are several luthiers with storefronts right in the middle of this relatively small town.

MG