1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Placing ports in a 2x12 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CitizenCain, Jan 7, 2008.

1. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

This is a post from my other thread, but I thought it deserved its own thread since its a change in direction.

I'm thinking of getting a 2x12 cab from Lopo Line for my Sundown amp head.

Here's my question, given a 24" x 24" x 14" cab with 2 x 12" mounted diagonally, where would you put two 4" round ports on the back? I found I can have them placed anywhere I want for only $20 over the standard cab price. The 2x12 Diagonal comes with a closed back as standard.

Here's how they build their std 4x10 cab with 2.5" ports. The 2x12 Diagonal is the same size cab and I can put the two 4" ports anywhere on the back.

[​IMG]

2. bosstone

bosstone Member

I don't know if this helps but some 70s Hiwatt 4 X 12" cab with similar dimensions had 4, 2 1/2" ports on the front side corners. I had one. It sounded great. It had lots of punch and a tight but not boomy bass.

3. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

Ports should be on the front, unless it's a Sub-Woofer working at 70Hz or less...then it wouldn't matter.

4. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Hmmm, well, I can only get them on the back. I wonder how much placement really matters? Maybe I'll put them at the intersections of the horizontal centerline of the cab and the vertical centerlines of the speakers.

5. bosstone

bosstone Member

I would turn it into a detuned cab. I would have the two 10" on top and leave the speaker holes open on the bottom. You will retain all the loudness of all four speakers (as long as you keep the ohms matched) and will also have more bass than with all 4, 10"s would produce. This is unless as the two speakers couldn't handle the amp's power.

6. Redmaz

Redmaz Supporting Member

I would ask them to make a single diagonal oval port following the angle of the speakers.